Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Headers for LT1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 02:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear
Headers for LT1 swap

What headers do you guys use with LT1? I was hoping to get headman 68469LT but it seems that thees things are not produced any more.
Can't find anything that will fit in 3rd gen camaro. Any suggestions, I would like to proceed with my project:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...storation.html

2slowfox
Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Axle/Gears: LS1 10bolt w/ 3.73
Re: Headers for LT1 swap

a commonly used set is Dyno Dons shorties and y-pipe, i have them on my lt1 swap and they are great. He is a member here, try to shoot him a PM
Old 02-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

LT1 and small block heads have basically the same exhaust ports- the spacing is the same, the LT1's are slightly raised ports over the standard SBC ports, but that shouldn't be a problem with any decent header (most headers have tubes larger that OEM exhaust ports so a raised port won't cover them up) and the bolt holes are _slightly_ higher than standard SBC. The plug angle is slightly angled, but so are most of the better SBC heads, so anything that would work with the semi angled (L98) or angle plug heads will work. The only other thing that you might run into is the end bolt hole locations- typically SBC's have 1 or 2 outside bolt holes. LT1's have both on both ends so that shouldn't cause a problem with headers.

I have the standard Headman shorties (really 3/4 length headers, the flanges dump out by the bottom of the oil pan) on my LT1 heads with no clearance issues (plug access is about as good as I've ever seen in a 3rd gen, I can swap all 8 in about 15 min), and I've run the old Edelbrock TES headers on an LT1 swapped car back in the 90's (I don't remember any issues with them, but that's been almost 25 years).

Pretty much any SBC headers should work with similar headaches to using them on angle plug or L98 angle plug heads
Old 02-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Axle/Gears: 4th gen rear

Thank for your replies!
My car is not running jet and I that is the main reason I want to get some cheap but good and deacent headers. I was looking for Hooker 2460 (that is my coice nr.1 at the moment), Flowtech 1116FLT.
83 Crossfire TA what part nr. Headman do you use? I was hoping to find some headers with D-shape ports but that seems to be impossible.
I was in contact with Dyno Dons, but those headers are bit too expensive because i need them in Europe and the shipping, taxes and other fees i have to pay are driving me crazy.

The fact is i need to order something ASAP!

2slowfox