Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

cat back

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS/89 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI/350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.08
cat back

hey guys, new to this site. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a descent cat back system for this car? 92 rs tbi. thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover
Re: cat back

Welcome to the site.

This is a great place to buy parts from and they price match and offer some of the cheapest prices on shipping I have ever seen.

Here's the cat back systems they offer for your car.

= http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ear=4294829834

The Magnaflow is "Stainless Steel" and pricey but very popular.
I like the hookers sound best out of that selection but do not care for there tips.

The name brand mufflers and systems tend to sound a lot like the Flowmaster 80 series.

Always call and talk to a Technician there before ordering anything. Tell them what your working with and they will guide you to the correct parts for your ride.

Ask for one of there free catalogs.
There full of nice aftermarket parts for our cars.

If that's out of your price range you might just want to have a shop install a muffler of your choosing and maybe some nice tips.

If you look at the top of the " Exhaust" section page you will find what we call "sticky threads" and this is one of them.
Take a look here. = https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exha...tart-here.html

I have the "Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back" on mine but they don't offer it for your car.
If you wanted the "Flowmaster" sound you would have to just install the Flowmaster 80 series muffler.
It will not have the same exact tone on a 2.5 diameter pipe compared to my complete 3" system including the 3" tailpipes/tips but it should be close.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 05-05-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi
Re: cat back

If you're wanting something along the stock route i would go through RockAuto, Summit, or Jegs. I buy most of my parts through Summit and RockAuto and have always had good experiences. Everyone will price match so do your homework and jot down part numbers and try to buy everything through one place and they will usually cut you a deal.