Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

1991 Firebird A I R system questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: T5
1991 Firebird A I R system questions

hey everyone, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm not sure if I am in the correct section or not so sorry if i'm not.

I own a 1991 firebird 305 TBI 5 speed manual. I bought the car a few weeks ago and have been fixing it up ever since and this forum has been a great help.

So I have spent hours reading through different threads and I cant seem to find the info I am looking for, I'm hoping somebody here could possibly help me out

Here's my problem, when I bought the car all it had for exhaust was a 2 foot glasspack muffler clamped onto the y pipe under the passenger side floorpan with a short 3 inch turndown pipe on it.. Pretty crude I know. So what I did was got some pipe from a local scrapyard { Very tight budget} and welded up a complete straight pipe system from that glasspack muffler to out the back of the car from fake dual pipes. The car from what I can tell still has all of the original A.I.R system still intact, and it seems to be functioning however when i look under the car I can see a small aluminum tube that I believe would have ran to the CAT, and it seems to have air coming out of it. so my question is what should I do with this line? leave it open? cap it off? would capping it off cause a back pressure issue or something?

I have read about deleting the air system completely but I just dont have the extra money right now to get the required parts.

A worthy mentionable is that the car seems to have a very strong exhaust smell but it runs great.

any help would be awesome!
Attached Thumbnails 1991 Firebird A I R system questions-fb-7.jpeg   1991 Firebird A I R system questions-fb-9.jpeg  
Old 05-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: 1991 Firebird A I R system questions

Leave it open for now until you can delete it or run it to a cat. Capping it will cause backpressure and more than likely drag the engine down.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Could that be the reason why the smell of exhaust is so strong? should I leave it all plugged in and running the pump etc until i can delete it?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
Leave it open for now until you can delete it or run it to a cat. Capping it will cause backpressure and more than likely drag the engine down.
Im wondering if it is possible to delete the a i r system from the car and re use the belt that is on it now. Or is getting another belt a must do?

The smell of exhaust is quite strong, and I dont seem to have any leaks in the piping, so im wondering if this tube could be contributing to the problem? it is cut off directly under the front passenger floor.

if that isnt the cause of the excess exhaust smell then could it be running too rich?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

I fail you need a delete pulley, the exhaust smell could be from short pipes or the o2 is thinking it's a lean condition overcompensating and running rich.