Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Cheapest way to have a quiet exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest way to have a quiet exhaust?

Hi,
I bought a 84 camaro shell (without engine) from someone who had a blown modified 350 (maybe 300-350hp). Now, i installed a stock 305 on it. The engine sound is not si bad but makes too much noise, and I worry about exhaust tickets. On the city I live, police officers specially hates loud exhaust and give easily tickets for it, sonetimes they check under the car and pass wire on exhaust. I dont have to pass any emission test but its possible to have visual and noise 'inspections' from police officiers, especially if exhaust is noisy. So at least, I need to install an empty cat (no cat is 500$ fine).
​​​​​
​​​
I dont know the brand of the exhaust line but since it's brand new, i want to keep it. If possible, i will not install a stock cat keep the advantage of headers and mufflers air flow.

Exhaust line :
-headers
-2in 1/4 dual exhaust
-behind the front wheels, merges to single 2 1/2 exhaust pipe, then at the rear wheels, split on dual 2 1/4 pipes with 2 performance mufflers.
-no resonator
-no cat

What is the best way to have a quiet exhaust and do not have too much attention from police? I have the stock cat on the garage but its too big and restricts air flow too much.
-high flow cat ?
-cherry bomb or other resonator wrapped on an empty cat?
-High flow cat + resonator?

Do you know good cheap brands for this?
Where its the best to install cat or resonator ?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: Cheapest way to have a quiet exhaust?

Choice #1 - high flow catalytic converter
Choice #2 - OBX has CAT delete pipes built around a 304 stainless steel resonator.
http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=2019
Mainly for imports, but they have a huge selection. I bet they have something that you could just bolt in.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

The best answer really depends on your intended results/use, which you don't really outline.

Cats need to be as close to the exhaust port as possible to work the best. Mufflers/resonators reduce more noise the further up they are and affect flow more the further up they are, that changes with what is the most important for you.

My $.02- If you have any worry of your cat/cats being checked put a cat in the stock location (or dual cats if you want to go to the trouble of reproducing the later system. Modern high flow cats cost you very little in performance at reasonable power levels, work and act to take quite a bit of the edge off of the exhaust noise.

What's quiet vs what is restrictive for your power level is, well you haven't given any details. I know that I've had a stock 3rd gen exhaust on my car and had cops comment on how loud the car is. I've built performance exhausts that sounded very simiilar to the stock exhaust, and I've had stock exhaust get loud with a cam and headers added to the car... a lot of this really depends on you and what you have, what you want and what you need in your area.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headers are 1 5/8 shorty, unknown brand
the muffler is probably a dynomax or flow master, but dont know exactly.
Looking for not more than 50-55 décibels idle and 65-70 db at 2500rpm.
the only thing is i want to keep the same muffler and headers and keeping slightly less restriction than a stock 305 exhaust.
But i think my exhaust system is already breathing too much for a stock 305...

Regardless of emissions, is it quieter to install a cheap 150$ cat from ebay or a resonator? What length of resonator would you advice? I will install only one thing (cat OR resonator).
The most important is to have a quiet car at idle and part throttle. At full throttle or high rpm, it ils not a problem to be noisy.
​​​​​