Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

New Headers and Cat - Looking for Cat-Back Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am w/ WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed
New Headers and Cat - Looking for Cat-Back Advice

Just ordered a new set of Dyno Don's headers (without air tubes) for my 1988 305 TPI 5-speed Trans Am. Currently I still have the stock manifolds, cat, and exhaust.

Name:  _DSC8689%20NX2%20Crop_zpskm2e1th1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  254.0 KB

I will be going with a Magnaflow 93441 catalytic converter, but need some advise on the cat-back. I like the direct fit systems and as such seem to have narrowed it down to either the Magnaflow 16829 or the Flowmaster 17233. I've searched previous posts to gather info on both, but quite a bit of these posts are from 10 or more years ago and I'm looking for more current experiences, suggestions and information.

My main goal and objective in adding the headers, high performance cat, and 3" cat-back is increased performance. A nice deep throaty sound would be second (not necessarily loud, but attention grabbing when giving it some gas), followed by aesthetics, third.

Based on what I've been able to find in previous posts, the Magnaflow will have better flow and thus overall better performance. Would like comments and advise on this since out of the muffler the tail pipes are each only 2.5" vs 3" for the Flowmaster.

The 3" tailpipes provide the deeper sound on the Flowmaster but as a whole doesn't meet the performance of the Magnaflow?

Likewise the 3" tailpipes with angles tips does look impressive, but probably not at the cost of lower performance and at a higher price tag.

Thanks in advance for you replies! I certainly welcome other cat-back suggestions as well, but I do like the ease of installation of the Magnaflow and Flowmaster.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s
Re: New Headers and Cat - Looking for Cat-Back Advice

From what ive read the magnaflow flows much better. I love the sound of my 3in Flowmaster system but I like the Magnaflow as well. I like the 3in slash tips instead of the quad tips that ive seen come with the magnaflow but you can always add those 3 in slash tips I just bought some for my truck for like $40 shipped. Two 2.5 in tailpipes flow well enough on the outlet side I don't think that makes any difference versus 3in either.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!

The Magnaflow comes with 3 1/2" tips as well, the quad tips, while great looking at 4", are for the '98-'02 Fbodies. This can be made to fit for you, but your looking at the direct fit. Go with the Magnaflow, flows great, sounds very nice. I switched years ago, said stainless from here on out, done. The stainless products, Magnaflow, Borla, Corsa, etc all seem to have a bit of a different tone over the aluminized stuff... I prefer it myself.
My advise is as above.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=16829

As said above by Dmccain, the 2 1/2 tailpipes won't make a big difference on your car. But the 3 1/2" tips on the Magnaflow will look better than the Flowmaster tips.

Last edited by Buddy; 06-12-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 76 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am w/ WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-Speed

Thanks guys for the comments. Magnaflow it is. The stainless steel looks great and should outlast the "aluminized" piping offered on the Flowmaster cat-back.