Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Hood/Cowl Guages

Old 02-16-2004, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Hood/Cowl Guages

Here's a pic of my hood.

I have always loved the factory hood tachs and guages...like on the early GTO's, the early Turbo TA's, and even this supercharged Formula.

I have the digital dash, so if I'm going to get some guages,..I'd want them to be digital. Here's a digital tach I found.

The tach on my cowl would be so that I didn't have to look down at my dash while racing, without getting a huge ugly analog tach. (I know this digital one can't be too accurate..but that's beside the point). I would want some other guages too....I don't know what though yet...but if I did a tach...a speedometer might be nice.

OK HERE'S the questions/point:

I am thinking about mounting some guages to the cowl hood. I know this would involve some cutting and hacking. I would like to place a peice of tinted plexiglas or something similar to create a blackout effect when the guages are off...just like the digital dash. This would also shield them from water. Question is, how would I go about mounting the guages and the plexiglass? I have installed a plexiglass window on my computer case. It used a black rubber gasket thing. It was pretty think...so it wouldn't be able to wrap around a small area like a guage cover. Another problem with this is that the window on my case keeps wanting to pop itself out.

Am I making any sense here?

Any thoughts ideas or anything? I would love to do this, but would like it done right and professional looking, because I hate the idea of cutting up this expensive hood to begin with.

Here's a quick photoshop of two tachs installed on my hood. (obviously I wouldn't have two tachs...this is just to show you what I'm talking about) The small PiP to the top right is what it should look like when the guages are turned off.
Attached Thumbnails Hood/Cowl Guages-hoodidea.jpg  

Last edited by 4mul8r; 02-16-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Banned

Car: Trans am
hey what kind of hood is that , is that the superduty that hawks is selling.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:57 PM

I guess it's called an ISMA hood. The owner two back bought it and had it installed. I've never seen it on any other car, which is why I love it. I don't know if I would be able to replace it, and wouldn't want to anyways....which is something that is scarry with this hood guages idea of mine.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:38 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
IMO opinion, it would pretty much be wasted work since the only time you may be able to clearly see the leds in the digital tach would be at night, too much sunshine and glare during the day for it to be functional. just my .02 though.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
You'll also need to factor in the wear & tear on the guages by having the hood closed X amount of times. The GTO's that had the hood tach also had problems of them dying from this.

edit: Hey, another Dayton puke

Last edited by Project: 85 2.8 bird; 02-18-2004 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:18 AM

Well,...seeing them in the day is a problem...but so is seeing my digital dash in the day with the tops off as well. These would be mostly for night and showing off and such...Most of my driving is at night anyways. Cause, let's face it, from 5PM - 2AM is the best cruising time.

These guages are digital, so would shutting the hood really matter that much...because there's no needle to mess up. Besides, I don't shut my hood cause it's fiberglass,...its lowered down and latched by hand.