Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

custom exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc Z
Engine: SBC 355 crate motor
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 7.5 stock Disc rear.
custom exhaust

I have an 82 camaro that i converted to a 350 and 700r4 trans. it now has long tube headers on it with glasspacks and side exhaust. right after the headers it dips down under the frame to glasspacks then turns out the side. its fine for now but for something more perminant i want it to tuck up more cus it just sits to damn low and since my car is already lowered, its hard to avoid scraping! i also want to keep true duel. I have seen setups where people use shorty headers and use the stock locations for exhaust and just run the pipes parallel to each other to keep true duel. i dont mind doing it that way but i want to keep my longtubes and i cant seem to find a good way to run the exhaust without hitting the frame or trans. if anyone has any ideas on it dont hesitate to give me your input.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: custom exhaust

Use oval tubing instead of round, to gain a litle ground clearance, and boom tubes (or fab your own) for the same reason. Should be able to gain you an inch or two, and keep your long tube headers.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 PM

Car: 84' Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I run shorty headers with 44" glasspacks with glasspack tips that exit in front of the rear wheels. It required a lot of welding,bending trial and error. It sits higher up on the passenger side because of the higher floorpan where the factory exhaust runs. With patience and heatshielding you can get it pretty high on the drivers side as well. I have the glasspacks running just inside the pinchwelds running down the side. So they fit higher up than if you had them split off from the middle near the drive shaft. Because the headers come down roughly perpindicular to the ground you have to make a 90 degree bend on each in a very tight 3 to 4". The passenger side follows the same route as the stock exaust. On the drivers side it is nearly a mirror image with a few extra bends to clear the lower control arm and the tire.

The lowest point on the exaust is roughly the same height as my oilpan and have never scraped it while driving (yet) The only problem I have ran across is lifting the car on a hoist, you can only use a drive on rack. I think shorty headers are the way to go if you are trying to have it exit on each side.

84' Z-28 350 .060 over 9.7:1 CR

Last edited by RAGE6_8; 07-23-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc Z
Engine: SBC 355 crate motor
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 7.5 stock Disc rear.

Originally Posted by RAGE6_8
I run shorty headers with 44" glasspacks with glasspack tips that exit in front of the rear wheels. It required a lot of welding,bending trial and error. It sits higher up on the passenger side because of the higher floorpan where the factory exhaust runs. With patience and heatshielding you can get it pretty high on the drivers side as well. I have the glasspacks running just inside the pinchwelds running down the side. So they fit higher up than if you had them split off from the middle near the drive shaft. Because the headers come down roughly perpindicular to the ground you have to make a 90 degree bend on each in a very tight 3 to 4". The passenger side follows the same route as the stock exaust. On the drivers side it is nearly a mirror image with a few extra bends to clear the lower control arm and the tire.

The lowest point on the exaust is roughly the same height as my oilpan and have never scraped it while driving (yet) The only problem I have ran across is lifting the car on a hoist, you can only use a drive on rack. I think shorty headers are the way to go if you are trying to have it exit on each side.

84' Z-28 350 .060 over 9.7:1 CR
i found a way to route true duel exhaust using shorty headers without much fabrication. what i want to know if anyone knows how to route true duel using the longtubes i already have. if anyone has these longtubes, they know how they tuck up in the frame. after the headers there isnt much room cus the auto trans is right there. what i have right now is an "S" bend after the headers to dip under the frame. the problem with that is that it makes the exhaust sit too low. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to notch the frame so that the exhaust could curve outward and run down the outside of the frame. that is the only way i could think of to get a nice, tucked up true duel exhaust with long tube headers. if anyone has any other ideas other than that or can explain why my idea isnt a good one, please let me know. thank you
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Car: 89' Camaro RS--
Engine: 305--
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 2.73--

Originally Posted by 82IROCZ
i found a way to route true duel exhaust using shorty headers without much fabrication. what i want to know if anyone knows how to route true duel using the longtubes i already have. if anyone has these longtubes, they know how they tuck up in the frame. after the headers there isnt much room cus the auto trans is right there. what i have right now is an "S" bend after the headers to dip under the frame. the problem with that is that it makes the exhaust sit too low. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to notch the frame so that the exhaust could curve outward and run down the outside of the frame. that is the only way i could think of to get a nice, tucked up true duel exhaust with long tube headers. if anyone has any other ideas other than that or can explain why my idea isnt a good one, please let me know. thank you
Didn't he say he wanted to keep his long tubes?... Anyway does anyone have a sound clip with there glass packs?