Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Stock Firebird Flat Hood > Trans Am/GTA Vented Hood...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Stock Firebird Flat Hood > Trans Am/GTA Vented Hood...

Guys, have any of you attempted this before? I have the flat Firebird hood, and I also have an extra set of vents from a TA hood, all four. Before I start measuring and cutting to install them I was curious to see if anyone had done this in the past, and if I will run into any roadblocks, or if it is a straight measure, cut, install and paint type of deal. Any feedback will help. Tried searching and so many non-related topics sprung up, figured I would just throw it out there hoping someone knows ahead of time before I start cutting. Thanks guys...

- Rob
Old 04-19-2017, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Re: Stock Firebird Flat Hood > Trans Am/GTA Vented Hood...

The vents don't exactly just fit into the top.

For the front vents there is a lowered ledge they get attached to so they sit flush, then quick nuts go behind them.

The side vents snap in with a metal retaining clip.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Bill, thank you for those pics. Now I can visually see what I am dealing with. What happened was the TA hood that I got my hands on lifted while driving about 30-40 mph because the former owner didn't latch the front, so the very ends of the back of the hood near the windshield (the outer two pointed sides, about five to six inches worth) buckled.

Was going to swap the vents onto the flat Firebird hood, but now with what you just showed, I might cut the crinkled portion of the ta hood sheet metal (only the top kinked, the structure underneath is fine) off, then do the same with the Firebird, then just weld the good onto the bad. Hate welding thin metal like that though, have no patience for it, but it might be the only way...
Old 04-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

The easiest way to do it is to cut the holes and then use a flanging tool to make the flanges. You could cut out and weld in those areas, but with a big flat surface like a hood by the time you do it it will be all warped to hell and you'll have tons of bodywork to do to make it right.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Just get some nice functional hood vents. they mount right to the hood surface and look like stock style camaro vents. Not all that expensive. I was thinking about it to help vent under hood heat but they leave a large open hole for water to get in.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Bill, thank you for those pics. Now I can visually see what I am dealing with. What happened was the TA hood that I got my hands on lifted while driving about 30-40 mph because the former owner didn't latch the front, so the very ends of the back of the hood near the windshield (the outer two pointed sides, about five to six inches worth) buckled.

Was going to swap the vents onto the flat Firebird hood, but now with what you just showed, I might cut the crinkled portion of the ta hood sheet metal (only the top kinked, the structure underneath is fine) off, then do the same with the Firebird, then just weld the good onto the bad. Hate welding thin metal like that though, have no patience for it, but it might be the only way...
Why not just find another Trans Am hood? It's not hard to find rust free ones for under $100.