Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Maintaining Heater Box with Engine Bay Bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Maintaining Heater Box with Engine Bay Bars

Tried to search and this is about the only picture I could come up with that looks like it maintains enough room to run an A/C delete box. Was not able to find anymore details on this car. Wondering where the bar passes through the firewall to connect to the main hope. Also where are you guys running your dash bar height wise to maintain heater operations, if possible. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: Maintaining Heater Box with Engine Bay Bars

For sure he cut off the upper frame rail at the firewall and then welded a plate onto the end of the cut portion of the frame rail. From there it is impossible to tell if the tube passes through the plate or is simply welded to the plate.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Like Tibo, I don't think he tied the front tubes to the cage just welded to the plate where he cut off the upper frame rail. From the questions you are asking it seems that you want to keep the stock, inside heater box and the stock dash??? If that is the case running a dash bar could be a problem.

I have a 12 point cage in my 83Z and the dash bar is mounted just above the steering column and the front bars pass through the cowl area and weld directly to the dash bar. I dont run the heater box but I believe there would be room for the ac delete box to fit and the stock plenum box to fit under the dash. The high dash bar would certainly cause fitment issues with the stock dash. If you run the dash bar below the steering column then it becomes a hazard in the event of a crash as it is very close to your legs.

If you go to "home brew road racer" and open page 4 you'll see my dash bar install.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
Axle/Gears: 3.70

Thanks for the input 83RDRACR! Your build is very impressive, wish I had knowledge and time for something like that.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:47 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

I've thought about fabricating a custom box (the side that goes under the dash) that would accommodate an integrated blower. It would be great to be able to have a flat/shaved firewall, that area is perfect to mount stuff.

I wonder how many BTU's the factory HVAC system is, and if an electric heater can be sized to replace the factory stuff. Realistically, it would be a coulple of flex ducts. If I could lose the coolant lines to the heater core, and the engine side box I'd be happy as pie.

(Are pies happy? I know I'm happy when I eat one)

-- Joe