History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

1986 rear hatch lock (cylinder lock itself)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
1986 rear hatch lock (cylinder lock itself)

Guys I've done hours of searching and checking local parts stores for a trunk/hatchlock for my 86, I can't find anything!!!
The parts places have the old style (will attach pic)which won't work. My lock has a square male end on the back end of it(parts that's inside the hatch inner part) it's the exact size as a 1/4 inch ratchet or nut driver. The older ones that parts stores have has a round back end spring and 6 inch or so rod w/ a hooked end mine doesnt'. I tried gm parts direct, gm.com, goodwrench, resto parts, you name it I've tried it. No one online has any info or parts. I got a PN fomr a friend on gmvsford done search for just the number and got no results on anything. I called gm and told them the story(the local gm dealership) they said to come in and order one which I wil be doing but I'm trying to get info or options just in case the one they have isn't the right one. Does anyone know how or where to get more info or pics or where to get or find the part? I have an electric pull down motor, and it has a cable that comes off the latch and has a round plastic boot w/ the female square end inside it and it slips over the lock inside the hatch behind the plastic trim. I have no clue where to go fomr here guys any opinions? I tried yahoo search and google and I tried ebay. No junkyards have a bare lock that I could get and try and have a key made for. I got a different pull down off a camaro in a junkyard and it had the same axact lock as mine. However at the time I had no need for the lock I asumed(that's were I messed up ***-u-me-ing)that a local parts store would have one and that since I had no keys for the one in the yard I couldn't use it. So it got left in my friends tool box and no garutees it's stil there. Would anyone have a spare one or even oen they lost the keys to maybe? Any help guys I'd greatly appreciate thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 1986 rear hatch lock (cylinder lock itself)-69_1_b.jpg  
Old 04-03-2004, 06:56 PM

Car: 86 camaro
Engine: 2.8 multiport cross fire injection
Transmission: 5 speed
P.S.

If this is in the wrong place please move it to the correct desired location moderators. Thanks, Chris
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 AM

I have what you are looking for. I bought a complete lock set for the doors and hatch, possibly the rear console as well but I can't remember. When it got delivered it was not the hatch lock that I needed it was the one you need and I need the other.

If you are interested send me an e-mail and we can work it out.

Robyn
Old 04-11-2004, 01:10 AM

Hello, I was a locksmith for 8 years and these locks are no big deal. Depending on how bad yours is you can remove the cap and drill out the sidebar and save your case. Then a dealer or locksmith can recode a new cyl plug for you. It should cost around $20-$50 coded depending on if you need a new lock or just the Cyl. Dont believe the BS crap that Borg warner(BWD), lock craft or what ever crap the local auto parts store sells is OEM. The real factory OEM is All lock, Briggs and Stratton or Strattech as its called now. I used to get locks cheaper than the dealer.(less middle men).
Good Luck
Jay