History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Need some help from all 1982 Crossfire owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: SBC 400
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 2.77
Need some help from all 1982 Crossfire owners

I've decided to return my car back to the crossfire setup. Already this seems like it is going to be a daunting task since I am basically trying to gather EVERY component for the CFI to work. Anyone with an '82 CFI setup I need your help. I have the factory shop manual...but even that doesn't seem to go into enough detail about specific sensors and harnesses. Also the layout is horrible. Nothing is organized and I find information about sensors in chapters I wouldn't even think to look in. Basically this is what I need help on:

1) Sensors.
Coolant
TPS
MAP
O2
VSS (already have on speedometer)

Anything I left out?

2) Fuel.
TBI (crossfire throttlebodies)
IAC assembly
ECM
EST modual (part of distributor??)
ESC modual

3) Emissions.
EGR system
EFE system
EECS system
PCV system
Vapor Canister
THERMAC (part of air cleaner correct?) Valves and
switches
TCC (currently not working...no ECM control)
AIR system
AIR valves(control, switching, divert?)
Check valves
Hoses...routes to cylinder head, exhaust manifold, or
catalytic converter.

I think this should cover everything, at least that I can think of. The rest is just the accessories like Cruise and getting the hood louver to work. Alot of this stuff doesn't even make sense to me, like the AIR system. And it seems like everything is controled by some kind of solenoid. To me it just seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong...but I like a challenge and I would like to convert back to crossfire. It's just going to be harder since don't have alot of this stuff, and I'm not quite sure where all the sensors and stuff actually go under the hood. Also Im confused on the EST and ESC moduals.

Not only that I need to get a complete engine wiring harness and probably a partial or complete ECM harness...not quick sure how bad it's hacked up. I just haven't have time to really get into all the wiring yet. I know at least the harnesses are only '82 specific. I had a chance to get an '83 harness and CFI setup with ECM. I was thinking about just getting the Throttle bodies and ditch the harness and ECM. There are some slight differences and I don't really want to relocate stuff.
What do you guys think...is it worth it??
Old 06-22-2005, 02:27 PM

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: L69 5.0L HO
Transmission: Manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
You should get a 1982 Chevrolet Camaro Assembly Manual. (I haven’t found one to the 1982 firebird, I don’t think it has been released by GM). Even though it is for the Camaro a lot of info is still applicable to the firebird.

Do a google search for 1982 Chevrolet Camaro Assembly Manual and you should find someone who has them or ebay.

Many people don’t like the Crossfire but I do. Mine runs great and is fun to drive. As long as you will enjoy the process and don’t expect to get your money back if you sell it, I say go for it. Isn’t that the definition of a hobby?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am & 1982 Corvette
Engine: L-98 with LO-3 induction. 350 CFI
Transmission: 5 speed and vette has 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373's in T/A .. vette unknown
you could modify a late TBI harness to run you crossfire, heard they run better with later electronics anyways
Old 06-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 ta
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
I am in the middle of a total resto of a 83 cfi ta and can get any picts you might need as my car is total taken apart and the engine is sitting on a stand right now. I have also rebuilt the engine and performed all the mods I could fine on the CrossFire engine. Be gald to help out in any way I can.