History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

'85 Banks TA question?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 Banks TA question?

Does anyone have any information about the Banks Trans Ams built in 1985? What would one be worth? Here is what I have found out by previous owners and calling Banks. Banks said that they have no real records but they built a few with twin turbos and the price tag was $39,900. They said that they sold some engines to a company or some companies (I can't remember now) that allowed them to use their name. One of the companies built four of them. They were all non turbocharged engines from Banks. I think they were built by a company in Oklahoma but I can't remember for sure. They had suspension mods and interior mods along with a 350 installed and sold for $29,900 and sold as new cars. I had a copy of one of the window stickers but it is now long gone. That's a long story all it's own. Has anyone ever seen or know anything more about these? What would it be worth in very good shape with 70,000 miles? Any info would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: GMPP 350 V8
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: '85 Banks TA question?

I knew Banks used the T/A's to run at Bonneville and play with the turbo set ups, but I did not know any were actually sold.

As far as rarity i'd compare it to a loaded Mecham T/A or perhaps a Saleen Mustang of the same era...

I think its condition would impact the price greatly. I also think it may be difficult to find a buyer/ seller that actually understands what the cars significance is.

Could you possible post some pictures or any other info about it?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:12 PM

I'll try to get some pics of the car. The ones I took are too big. I'll have to figure out how to shrink them a bit.

Here is what I know was done to the car. They installed a 350 from Gale Banks. It was carburated. It was lowered 3" with larger sway bars installed and Koni shocks all around. They installed 16" Gotti wheels. It has a complete digital dash that is woodgrained along with the console. It got Banks Trans am decals. It is black with black leather interior. Tilt, cruise, t-tops, power windows and locks, power hatch release, A/C, locking gas cap, and I'm sure there is more that I can't think of right now. There are no RPO #'s anywhere. I have owned the car since 1990. I bought it with 29,000 miles and it now has 70,000. I had the window sticker and previous owners names until my ex left and took all of the paperwork with her and didn't give it back when I got the car in the divorce. It was sold for $29,900 when new. It is in real good shape. Always garaged and very rarely driven. I installed a 383 a couple of years ago but still have the original engine.

I'm trying to find out what I can and what it is worth since it will be for sale soon. I need to make room for a 4th gen tube chassis drag car.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM
Supreme Member

So, Is it correct to say that Banks did the work to the car, then sold it to the public?

It is a shame the paperwork is gone, that would answer alot of questions.

As far as value, that will be pretty tough. 85 T/A's arent exactly the most desireable car's out there at the moment so they dont really bring a ton of money.

Another problem is the cars appeal... Many buyers may simply see it as a modified 85 T/A. I think if you find the right audience (someone who knows its significance, and likes interesting T/A's...) You could ask a higher price.

If the car is in good condition I would see what other nice 85 T/A's are selling for and price it in that range. You may want to ask a bit more because of the Banks set up.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

The paperwork would go a long way...

I think Banks made a kit that would transform your F-body into a screamer, it included everything in the drivetrain, Engine, Trans, Axel, driveshaft, shocks etc... Its in one of my books on how to modify your 3rd Gen... I always thought you could buy the kit and install it yourself...

John
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by TAdan
So, Is it correct to say that Banks did the work to the car, then sold it to the public?

It is a shame the paperwork is gone, that would answer alot of questions.

As far as value, that will be pretty tough. 85 T/A's arent exactly the most desireable car's out there at the moment so they dont really bring a ton of money.

Another problem is the cars appeal... Many buyers may simply see it as a modified 85 T/A. I think if you find the right audience (someone who knows its significance, and likes interesting T/A's...) You could ask a higher price.

If the car is in good condition I would see what other nice 85 T/A's are selling for and price it in that range. You may want to ask a bit more because of the Banks set up.

I hope that helps.
No,the work wasn't done by Banks. The engine was bought from them. It was built by another company that if I remember right was in Oklahoma. The name Turbo Motor Cars is what comes to mind but it's been 18 years since I bought the car and 14 years since I've seen the paperwork. I know the company who built it is out of business as I tried to contact them right after I bought it.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:55 PM

What exactly do the PHS documents tell you about the car? Will it say what the companies was that bought it from the factory to modify? Will they tell you what it was modified into? Just wondering how much info I could get from them.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

PHS would only give you the informaiton based on what the car was when new out of the factory door. Anything after the fact they would not have anything, for example although the Convertible that I have was converted before the dealer ever saw the car PHS or GM has no record of it as it did not go through their channels. Your car would be under the same thing as once the car is our the door they forget about it unless you have warrenty work.

John
Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by probrd
I'll try to get some pics of the car. The ones I took are too big. I'll have to figure out how to shrink them a bit.
You can send me some pictures to jt@thirdgen.org and I'll resize them and then post them here.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:28 PM

Ok, sorry it's been so long. Been busy racing all summer. Here are some pics I took the other day. The fiberglass hood I installed last year. I still have the original hood.
Attached Thumbnails '85 Banks TA question?-trans-am-resize-1.jpg   '85 Banks TA question?-resize-2.jpg   '85 Banks TA question?-resize-3.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM

Here are a few more:
Attached Thumbnails '85 Banks TA question?-resize-5.jpg   '85 Banks TA question?-resize-4.jpg   '85 Banks TA question?-resize-6.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Supreme Member

I like the vintage wheels and digital gauges.

What does it run with the 383?

Very sharp car. I like the subtle stripes on the lower body and matching Banks and Koni badges.

I also see the 85 only leather and cloth L/S seats.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 PM

I've only had it to an 1/8th mile track a couple of times. It will run low 9's @ around 85 mph with almost no traction. You have to really baby it out of the hole or it will just spin. The stripes we added later. Had to get the front nose repainted from parking lot bumper blocks. We couldn't get the stripes that matched at the time so we added these in their place. If I remember right the original stripes in the fading part were circles and the only ones we could get were squares and didn't match very well or vice versa.

All the badges, guages, and wheels were part of the package along with other things. I remember when it was about a year old it sat at a local classic car dealership on the showroom floor for about a year and a half. I wanted it real bad then but couldn't afford it. A few years later I found it for sale at our local Mercedes, Porsche dealership on their used lot at a pretty reasonable price and had to have it. I've owned it ever since. Other than the stripes and the fiberglass hood it looks as it did when I first saw it.