History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

How rare is your car? Maybe this will answer the ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
Re: How rare is your car? Maybe this will answer the ??

Shows mine is 1 of 18 with the exact same RPO codes.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Originally Posted by C-Titan
First of all it says my car's an RS... Which is Definitely False... Also my car is 1 of 2??? Sure why not... haha... The legitimacy of thier facts is obviously questionable... It did make me realize how much I miss my 84 L69 Z-28 though ...
I ran a few cars from eBay and they were all marked RS on the heading, but they also showed the Z28 option code. In reality, the 1988 on up cars could all be listed as Sport Coupe or RS with the Z28 RPO code.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

First of all it says my car's an RS... Which is Definitely False... Also my car is 1 of 2??? Sure why not... haha... The legitimacy of thier facts is obviously questionable... It did make me realize how much I miss my 84 L69 Z-28 though ...
I also tried my 1992 RS Camaro. It came up as an RS and every RPO was correct. I then tried a 1991 Z28 and it came up as an RS in the title description. But the RPO list had Z28 as an option. Every RPO on the car was listed correctly.

Last edited by yo soy el warg; 12-14-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27
Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts
Car: 87 Formula T-Top, 87 Formula HT
Engine: 5.1L TPI, 5.0L TPI
Transmission: 700R4, M5
Axle/Gears: Sag 3.73, B&W 3.45

I believe what is there is correct, unfortunately not all of it is there... I must have done 50 searches, and they all came back as what I knew them to be, I scoured ebay, autotrader & such for VINS, and from the sellers descriptions it appears to be correct.

John
Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, glad you found the decoder and are having a little fun with it.

Seems there's a bit of confusion about the rarity section. A bit of text explaining it was added, but it seems people might be skipping over it. That section is based on an EXACT match of ALL of your options, even stuff that isn't really an option, like where it was built. You really have to look at the list to see why it would come back rare. When you get down to asking how many came out of the Van Nuys facility with chrome lug nuts and a tape deck it becomes pretty apparent why there's only a few of them.

Originally Posted by Drew
At worst it gives legions of sellers ground to stand on when they claim there car is 1 of 1 when it's really not.
No sensible owner will try to sell their car based on it being rare with every option listed. If someone tries to sell you a car that's 'rare' because it was the only one built with a blue interior, bike rack, and production week 23, you should probably walk away.

You can use the rpocheck page to see how rare it is based on only select RPO codes. We also just finished building that ability into the decoder page - check back later today.

The Camaro will usually come back an RS, don't take it to mean much.

The Firebird listings are short by quite a bit. There just isn't much info out there on them. However, there are lots of other cars where we have the entire production run in the DB. We're also about to do a huge update of another 30 million+, maybe there are a few more in it.

Hope it answers a few questions and if you have any others just let me know.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 AM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305TPI

Originally Posted by compnine
Hey guys, glad you found the decoder and are having a little fun with it.

Seems there's a bit of confusion about the rarity section. A bit of text explaining it was added, but it seems people might be skipping over it. That section is based on an EXACT match of ALL of your options, even stuff that isn't really an option, like where it was built. You really have to look at the list to see why it would come back rare. When you get down to asking how many came out of the Van Nuys facility with chrome lug nuts and a tape deck it becomes pretty apparent why there's only a few of them.

No sensible owner will try to sell their car based on it being rare with every option listed. If someone tries to sell you a car that's 'rare' because it was the only one built with a blue interior, bike rack, and production week 23, you should probably walk away.

You can use the rpocheck page to see how rare it is based on only select RPO codes. We also just finished building that ability into the decoder page - check back later today.

The Firebird listings are short by quite a bit. There just isn't much info out there on them. However, there are lots of other cars where we have the entire production run in the DB. We're also about to do a huge update of another 30 million+, maybe there are a few more in it.

It just seemed like any of us with Firebirds made before 1991 or so didn't have much luck with the VIN search. I was hoping to see my RPO codes come back off the VIN because I've had three third gens, and I have never had RPO stickers in any of them. It would be neat to see what the cars came with originally given that two of the three cars I've owned had at least three owners. There is no telling what each person did with the car as it got older. Given the age of these cars many people end up replacing some worn or broken parts with items from junk yard cars or whatever and as a result it's tough to tell what the cars were actually like when they were new.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Look at about any thirdgen on ebay and that's exactly what you'll see.

I'm curious how specific the rarity equation gets... Is it including the date in the formula it uses to determine rarity?

Last edited by Drew; 12-11-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by okfoz
Someone suggested that it was from the Canadian registry information, at least the 1982-1989 portion... Anyone with a Canadain delivered car prior to 1990 what has your results been?
That thought crossed my mind as well, but since the contact info isn't Canadian I didn't have any real reason to believe that is the case.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Actually....The Firebird info is out there, you just apparently don't have it.

Pontiac Historical Services has it, just not for free.

Last edited by Stephen; 12-11-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Black_Knight - Yeah I'm sorry that for now the Firebird listings are very limited. I have a lot of the vin numbers but very few of the RPO codes. Hopefully we can expand that soon.

Look at about any thirdgen on ebay and that's exactly what you'll see.

I'm curious how specific the rarity equation gets... Is it including the date in the formula it uses to determine rarity?
Hah! Well I'm sorry if the site is contributing to the insanity. It's not up there to get people to raise their asking price, it's just neat to find how few cars rolled out EXACTLY like yours. If we have enough of the cars produced, and you remove garbage RPO codes, it's actually quite accurate.

It takes the year, model, and ALL of the RPO codes. Date doesn't usually play a part unless one of the codes is the production week. There's no way for the system to automatically pull out those useless codes, but you can do it manually and resubmit it. We just opened that ability so if you recheck your VIN it will probably be the cached version. Send me or post your VIN and I'll clear the cache so you can check it out.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but since the contact info isn't Canadian I didn't have any real reason to believe that is the case.
Nope, not Canadian or specific to it. It just so happens that lots of the Canadian cars have all of their info in the DB.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen
Actually....The Firebird info is out there, you just apparently don't have it.

Pontiac Historical Services has it, just not for free.
It looks like they don't have a database of it, but either order or have a copy of the original paperwork. Not at all useful for our needs, or for use online, but it's neat to see someone at least picking up the slack.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Location: Doghouse ······································ Car: 1989 Formula 350 Vert Engine: 350 L98 Transmission: 700R4 Axle/Gears: B&W 3.27

For the F-cars a Canadian spec car had the Z49 "Export" RPO. When I did a search on the RPO search I found that all of the Camaros and Firebirds from 1982-1989 had the Z49 RPO...

I just wonder if some of the information may be out there, possibly in an older publication... It would really be great if we could get more VINS & RPOS for Firebirds...

Thanks for your effort.

John
Old 12-11-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Z-28
Engine: 360TPI
Transmission: PA Racing 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I ran a few cars from eBay and they were all marked RS on the heading, but they also showed the Z28 option code. In reality, the 1988 on up cars could all be listed as Sport Coupe or RS with the Z28 RPO code.

Oooohhhh.... Well, Ya learn somthin' new everyday... haha

Last edited by C-Titan; 12-11-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: LB9 305

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I put my VIN in and it said my Z28 was an RS as well. Kinda scared me for a second. It does have Z28 listed in the RPO codes though.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5 - 5 Speed Standard
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Someone suggested that it was from the Canadian registry information, at least the 1982-1989 portion... Anyone with a Canadain delivered car prior to 1990 what has your results been?
Here's my results for my Canadian IrocZ convertible . . .

Never knew it was actually an RS!!!! Must be REALLY rare with the RPO Z28!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

My RS is listed as 1 of 1. I find it hard to believe that GM only built 1 white hardtop V6 with flame red interior & option package #3. When my car was new I would pass myself all the time! I agree there is a flaw with this decoder.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear

This is a fascinating site but I believe all of us are a little skeptical about the source of the information. While it appears to be extremely accurate and certainly convenient, there are some curiousities that are hard to explain. Thank you for finding it and making us aware of it.

When I ran my VIN, most of the option information came back as I suspected. However, the build date caused me to scratch my head. I have a 91 TA Convertible with an ASC sticker showing it was completed by ASC in March 1991. That would be in sync with the build date supplied by this site of Feb 1991 but my car also has an emission sticker on the radiator shroud dated Sept 1990.

So, either I believe that the car was completed before Sept 1990, used for emission testing and then "officially" built in Feb 1991 before going to ASC or the build date from this site is not correct. The emission sticker I have identifies the car as "EP3" along with the date. Both are handwritten in appropriate blanks on the sticker.

I have never been able to identify this sticker via other members and it is accompanied by another sticker on the bottom side of the hood (by the latch catch) that identifies the car as a "CPC Test and Development" vehicle.

If anyone has similar labels or has any info on their origin, I would like to hear from you.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Iroctopless
Never knew it was actually an RS!!!! Must be REALLY rare with the RPO Z28!

Originally Posted by H8TRAFIC
My RS is listed as 1 of 1. I find it hard to believe that GM only built 1 white hardtop V6 with flame red interior & option package #3. When my car was new I would pass myself all the time! I agree there is a flaw with this decoder.
They probably didn't just build yours. Please re-read either my post above, or the text just below your rarity info for an explanation.

Originally Posted by tavert91
When I ran my VIN, most of the option information came back as I suspected. However, the build date caused me to scratch my head. I have a 91 TA Convertible with an ASC sticker showing it was completed by ASC in March 1991. That would be in sync with the build date supplied by this site of Feb 1991 but my car also has an emission sticker on the radiator shroud dated Sept 1990.
Sounds like your car has an interesting history. The date provided is what GM has on file for your car. We don't make it up, but I'm not sure when it's officially considered "built." I would suppose the build date is when it actually rolled off their lot and yours might have sat in a staging area for a while before going out. Just a guess though.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 AM

::Removed::

Due to my own stupidity... haha

Last edited by C-Titan; 12-13-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 AM

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1 V6 MFI
Transmission: MD8 Hydra-Matic 4L60
Axle/Gears: Standard/3.23

Here's what I got when I punched in my VIN:

There are 3 1990 CAMARO RS 2 DR vehicles (0.009%) matching your exact options list. There are 3 (0.009%) with at least as many options.

I guess all of our cars are rare!!! However it did get all my options right. Though it didn't have a build date. . .If I remember the faded sticker on the door, it read Sept. 89'.

Pretty neat site. Bookmarked it.

Last edited by Guy In A 90 RS; 12-13-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Lastly, it's a lil hard to believe that GM had nothing better to do then leave unfinished projects in "staging" areas for months at a time...
For mine, while the site didn't have the build date my car, my GM decal is dated as Sept/88 and ASC Oct/88. Back to back months.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Let's not beat up on Compnine. They have what info they do have, just not much of it for F-bodies. Less info for the Firebirds than for Camaros.

According to the decoder, there weren't even ANY L98 nor Y84 built in 1987. Which is obviously wrong, since I have one, with both codes, sitting in my car port.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Despite a few glitches, I think it's a cool site and I like the goal of what it's trying to achieve. As time goes by and as things get tweeked, it'll be pretty cool. No one else, to this extent, has even tried to do what it's doing.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:19 PM

I'm a little shocked at the hostility for simply not having every car made in the DB, but I appreciate the enthusiasm. It's being constantly updated and tweaked, hence the "Beta" burst that I suppose most of you aren't seeing. Heck, just last night it was updated to include 2010 models.

We didn't get the build date from the back of a van under a bridge in the shady part of town, it traces its heritage back to GM directly. I'm not trying to force the information on you so if the information seems off, we're both raising our eyebrows at it.

That said, sure, I bet there are thousands of cars that sat in a staging area for much longer than two months. It may be that the build date I have means a different thing than the build date you have. Really not sure, but again, because I didn't make up the data I'm on your side with it and just as confused, but I guarantee there's a reasonable answer we both just don't know yet. A little cliche but "You're barking up the wrong tree."

One possible answer is that GM is taxed differently based on when the car is actually ready to sell. Once it's considered built-for-sale they're probably taxed on the value of the assembled pieces, instead of just a box of parts. If that's the case I imagine they would keep records of two build dates. One when the pieces were bolted together, and another when it's actually ready to sell. Those two won't necessarily be the same.

Just a guess but if anyone finds out be sure to let me know too.

Last edited by compnine; 12-13-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: LB9 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 SPD
Axle/Gears: Posi Rear

Compnine - I appreciate your reply and thank you for helping organize and provide access to this information. It makes research easier and, I suspect, the content will continue to be scrutinized and improved as time goes on. Your perception about tax differences is probably correct. There is a significant advantage to holding "work in process" instead of "finished goods" in a company's inventory from a tax perspective.

Sitting in a staging area would help explain how the car has a sticker applied and dated Sep 1990 while the official GM build date is Feb 1991. However, I wouldn't think they would apply a label specifically giving the car a date and identifying vehicle number (different than the VIN) unless they used it somehow between the 2 dates.

I bought this car in Jan 1992 as a Pontiac Owned "Program" car under full factory warranty with 8000 miles on it from an Atlanta dealer that purchased it from Pontiac Auction Sales, Detroit. The underhood stickers I mentioned both state that they were supposed to be removed prior to selling the car to the public and ID the car as "CPC-E3".

What I suspect, but cannot prove, is that the car was built in mid to late 1990, used for testing of some type (possibly emissions for Canada) between then and Feb 1991 by either Pontiac or Pontiac Canada at the Van Nuys Plant, and finally completed as a convertible by ASC in Mar 1991. Between then and the Dec 1991 original invoice date to the dealer, it was probably owned/run/held by Pontiac and never publically titled.

I have no way of determining whether the 8000 miles came before or after the ASC conversion. The only other "strange" piece to the puzzle is it carries an RPO code R6E (Emiss Test Divert / Ext Due Date) on the invoice but not the SPID.

Thanks for your interest. Maybe I will uncover something else that will help me understand this better. I have not heard from anyone else having these unique stickers under the hood. If they were not there, I probably would be going merrily down the road with the top down!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

I'm a little shocked at the hostility for simply not having every car made in the DB, but I appreciate the enthusiasm.
Definitely let the enthusiasm and interest tell the story. What comes across as hostility really isn't intended. I look at the page and I think there's a ton of good info there. I take some of it with a grain of salt, with the knowledge that it's not complete. It's entertaining and somewhat educational, and as long as people don't misunderstand and misinterpret what it's telling them, I think it's fine. Some people will get the wrong idea from it, but then those people are hopefully in the minority.

Thanks for the web page!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Compnine, welcome to TGO. Sorry if some seem critical, but it's what we do!! The tool is cool and I hope everyone understands the data is incomplete as not all vehicles are in the DB. I'm still waiting for 1987 Camaros, but the info you guys have is already really awesome. Thanks for joining the site and elaborating for us. You should check a post I made about ebay auctions. One of the two cars I loked at was a 1991 with a questionable build. The owner states it has certain options, but your site states differently. I would really like to see the owners RPO list and compare. I'm waiting for it to be posted and have the same options as your site states. To me, that would be all I need for confirmation to the accuracy of the individual builds.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 PM

Compnine - I am trully sorry for mis-representing your site in my previous post... I was looking over my car today and read the build sticker on the DS door; it stated the exact build date that your website produced... I suppose my car did sit in some sort of staging area for a while... Now I have a piece of paper that says GM took 2 months on my interior haha...

My sincere apologies again and for bringing such an amazing resourceful site to our third-gen community!!!

Last edited by C-Titan; 12-13-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: None
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Very useful site. It had all the RPO codes for my car.

Oddly enough I noticed that my Camaro apparently has a tilt steering wheel, but I never noticed. It also apparently has a power antenna but at the same time has the code for a fixed antenna.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 6.6 at least
Transmission: T-56 (waiting)
Axle/Gears: 9" w/4.56 & spool (4 now)

FAIL!!!!my car wasn't listed.....
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

My 88 comes up as a 1 off but I'd like to know if someone has the export numbers for 88

Mine is a canadian export hardtop lb9 5 speed with the g92 perf axle, j65 brakes and AC delete, only options are hatch release, power windows, rear defogger and map light dome. The car doesn't even have the side trim moldings
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM

The only data prior to 1990 listed on compnine is the Export data for Firebirds and camaros...

John
Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Car: 82 TA 87 IZ L98 88 IZ LB9 88 IZ L98
Engine: 5.7TBI 5,7TPI 5.0TPI, 5,7TPI
Transmission: T5, 700R4, T5, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.27, 3.45, 3.27

But only Canada export, my 87 is an original UK export car an it doesn't come up either.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 AM

Correct, as all of the cars have the RPO Z49, which is the Canadian export RPO, or at least one of them...

John
Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" for the ladies

So for years people posting in this very thread have told us it's impossible to know how many specific optioned 3rdgen's were made. If they never could find this information where did and how did you get it?
And what happens when, like so many websites out there, in 10 years if your site just doesn't exist anymore? Everything going to be lost again?
Old 12-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Unfortunately, with the exception of 1990... That is still the case, not all of the information is there... matter of fact, not all of the Canadian cars are there either. I have the VIN, actually I have a pic of the SPID sheet showing a 1987 Y84, CC1, L98 car... The VIN is not in the database, I know of a second car such equipped that went to canada as well, If you do a search on Y84 cars from 1987 thru 1989, Matter of fact, There are no Trans Am WS4, Y84 RPO's listed for 1982-1989 that I can find. There are NO L98 cars listed for 1987 Firebirds...

I really suspect that they were wiped clean for a reason... I am starting to think that some cars that should not have been made, were made, IE L98,CC1,Y84 cars and they had to wipe them clean of any record...
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

I doubt there is any conspiracy in play. Why would anyone need to cover their tracks? Nothing on compnine.com is new info. It's just the first time anyone with motivation has had access to some of the numbers and they've setup a program to search the database and calculate a figure. It's still nothing more then entertainment since the database is not even close to being complete.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:05 PM

Ok ok, its not a conspiracy... I like to get carried away...

Upon further research it appears that what is currently up is only Canadian cars for model years prior to 1990, do just about any search in the RPO section for any MY prior to 1990 and you find that all of the cars have Z49 (Canada Export) RPO.... I did about 15 searches on random cars and it all came back the same number of cars in database compared to the same number of cars with Z49...

Interestingly the data is still not 100% there even for the Canadian bound cars...
Old 12-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my '87 Camaro vin (Canada build) and it is dead on.

Last edited by CDN_87IROC; 12-16-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

The standard has always been that the GM computer (for whatever reason) seems to contain more information on Canadian export cars. It's always seemed that owners of Canadian export cars have had better luck retrieving RPOs from the VIN numbers at dealerships. I would assume that Compnine has access to that database and is using it to compile this information.

It makes you wonder why this database is so incomplete. Not that Compnine dropped the ball, but rather GM dropped the ball by not keeping closer records. The information existed at one time, assuming it hasn't been lost forever, at some point the missing information might surface. But it sounds like that'll probably happen right after one of the 50 1986 L98/B4Z cars appears with complete documentation.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:52 AM

I know that the information IS on paper, PHS-online has it. That information was taken from a Computer and printed out.... 500,000 pages for 3rd gen firebirds... What I actually believe is the information from PHS is actually inaccurate as well... Look at Frankieriders page gtasourcepage.com

Here are Y84 some numbers for 1992
226 Y84 - GTAsourcepage.com
354 Y84 - Compnine
24 Y84,Z49 - Compnine

I have no doubt that Frankie got his information from PHS, I know from talking to Jim Mattison that in fact Frankie got it from him. Compnine actually raises more questions than answers them IMHO.

John
Old 12-16-2009, 10:00 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, is that Frankie had mentioned that his figures do not include exports. This is why, for example, he has 624 1988 GTA Notchbacks while Pontiac letters stated there was 718. The difference was exports, and even a recently surfaced letter from Pontiac plainly stated as such by breaking it down in the letter (94 exported to Canada with 624 in the US).

I see you noted how many were Canadian exports in your example, so you are most likely aware of this and that does not make up the difference. I just thought I'd point out the above.

I know that the information IS on paper, PHS-online has it. That information was taken from a Computer and printed out.... 500,000 pages for 3rd gen firebirds... What I actually believe is the information from PHS is actually inaccurate as well... Look at Frankieriders page gtasourcepage.com

Here are Y84 some numbers for 1992
226 Y84 - GTAsourcepage.com
354 Y84 - Compnine
24 Y84,Z49 - Compnine

I have no doubt that Frankie got his information from PHS, I know from talking to Jim Mattison that in fact Frankie got it from him. Compnine actually raises more questions than answers them IMHO.

John
Old 12-16-2009, 10:09 AM

I now remember a conversation about that in the past...

John
Old 12-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Unfortunately, with the exception of 1990... That is still the case, not all of the information is there... matter of fact, not all of the Canadian cars are there either. I have the VIN, actually I have a pic of the SPID sheet showing a 1987 Y84, CC1, L98 car... The VIN is not in the database, I know of a second car such equipped that went to canada as well, If you do a search on Y84 cars from 1987 thru 1989, Matter of fact, There are no Trans Am WS4, Y84 RPO's listed for 1982-1989 that I can find. There are NO L98 cars listed for 1987 Firebirds...

I really suspect that they were wiped clean for a reason... I am starting to think that some cars that should not have been made, were made, IE L98,CC1,Y84 cars and they had to wipe them clean of any record...
I ran the VIN of my 1987 Canadian export GTA and it too is not in the database.

Last edited by Paigesdad; 12-18-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Actually, I mistsated, there were no L98,CC1 Formulas listed... And there are no Y84, or WS4 cars listed... I could not find any WS6 cars prior to 1987 either...

john
Old 12-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned

A few weeks ago, I asked about my not only my 87 VIN being being there, but the lacj of Y84...L98...throughout several years.....

"Cars aren't added individually so there's no specific models that get/need more work than another. Last I saw we have something like 900,000 early Camaros and only 300,000 Firebirds. Hate to say it but Firebird owners especially are left in the cold. Maybe we'll luck out and stumble across more."

Since then......
"Last night another 6 million cars were added and we're over 111 million total, but that's not everything and I don't imagine we ever will have every car."

Remember....They all dealing ALL GM brands so there are like likely almost a BILLION VINs total. The older the VIN we're looking for (like my 87, which isn't exactly "old") the worst the GM records record of it & the likelyhood of that VIN never being added, because of the poor records.

Big thanks goes out to Compnine for giving us access to what they have.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:46 PM

Car: 84 Z28 305HO
Engine: L69
Axle/Gears: 3.73

No luck either finding my 82 firebird or 84 Z-28 in the database. But the daily drivers showed up (93 Cutlass and 05 Silverado).
Old 12-20-2009, 10:25 PM

I just went to that website and it pulled up my car, but not really sure what I was looking at, but it said there was 5 with (0.247%) not sure if thats good or not
Old 12-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Car: 1990 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

My 1990 GTA is a Canadian model.. It was built Sept 19th, 1989 and sold in November of 1989.

It has all the correct RPO info.. (And says there are only 4 cars with the same options).

The chart showed 4 RPO codes that don't appear on my SPID sticker.. They are all marked 'unknown'. 6ZX 7ZX 8NL and 9NL .. A little more digging on other sites shows they are for the springs.

Cool site
Old 12-23-2009, 12:37 AM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305TPI

Originally Posted by H8TRAFIC
Passing a car that looks like yours from the outside and passing a truly identical car on the street are two very different things. I have seen many similar cars at a glance only to find out that they are quite different when examined carefully.

Quick Reply: How rare is your car? Maybe this will answer the ??