History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Should we be hoarding what's left of the NOS parts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Should we be hoarding what's left of the NOS parts?

Originally Posted by TxTtopZ
That may be true by comparison, but we have a valid concern. If we dont, then perhaps you can enlighten those of us looking for parts we cant find. You can start by finding me a prestine leather wrapped auto shift ****.
If you are willing to pay what it takes and you are patient, you will find plenty. For my 92 I found an NOS center console w/lid, NOS front GFX, NOS CD player, the list goes on. Sure it took 3-4 years to find it all and then I had to sell it all last year after an accident, but the point is that all of the hard to find stuff is still out there. Most of the people I sold those parts to didn't even use them, they just put them on a shelf for future. Anything is for sale for the right price.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 G92 IROC-Z
Engine: 5 Liter 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by 58mark
I know where there is one... I'll PM you
Almost. Thats for an 87 up car. Need the round "ball" version. If anyone needs a nice leather one for an 87 up car, let mark know. Its the square version that was on later models. I think this one can still be purchased at the dealership. Its just like the ones on the Lt1 vettes if im not mistaken? Maybe not... been a while.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 92GTA
If you are willing to pay what it takes and you are patient, you will find plenty. For my 92 I found an NOS center console w/lid, NOS front GFX, NOS CD player, the list goes on. Sure it took 3-4 years to find it all and then I had to sell it all last year after an accident, but the point is that all of the hard to find stuff is still out there. Most of the people I sold those parts to didn't even use them, they just put them on a shelf for future. Anything is for sale for the right price.
:-/

That whole paragraph about sums it up.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

What really irks me is when you can get something NOS for one side of the car, but not the other.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Up next on the list is a front bumper cover (spider cracking in mine, almost guarantee it's down to the urethane), and as much weatherstripping as I can.

AFAIK most all of that stuff is still in production, so technically not NOS, but still genuine GM nonetheless...while it lasts.

If you look very, very closely, right near the lower inner corner of the driver's side headlight bucket you can see two parallel scratches--I was on a dark residential road that was heavily wooded and I was literally going 10 miles an hour when a deer jumped out of nowhere, and trampolined off my bumper cover--those scratches are from its hoof. Unfortunately those are fairly deep, and caused spidercracking down to the area between the driver's parking lens and the grille (can't see the spidercracking here though), so I'm thinking I want to pick up a new bumper cover--then I can mount the original one to the wall in my garage. I'd prefer to keep all body panels original, but as long as all the sheetmetal and parts that have VINs on them are original, it won't be the end of the world:

I have also picked up:

--Flood lamp bezel
--Door lock cylinder caps (forgot to get one for the trunk lock cylinder since I never ever use the key behind the plate, but will order one more)
--Nose emblem
--Black interior hatch trim screws (picked up 2 of them, but these could also only be had used...only gray and blue are available NOS)
--Fuse panel cover for a 90-92 car (could only get it used though)

Last edited by puma1552; 01-11-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTtopZ
:-/

That whole paragraph about sums it up.
Well you can't change the way things work in the hobby and outside of it.

I was simply making the point that at least the parts still exist new, somewhere still, since these ares are not that old.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

The spider cracking you described should be just in the paint. I wouldn't look for another cover unless you have physical bumper cover damage. The paint can only flex so much before it cracks.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
The spider cracking you described should be just in the paint. I wouldn't look for another cover unless you have physical bumper cover damage. The paint can only flex so much before it cracks.
That's what I'm worried about though, those two scratches are actually more like two gouges deep into the urethane, beyond the paint.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28 T-Top 36mm sway & wonderbar
Engine: TPI L98 350 W/85 Vette Stage II ECM
Transmission: W/C T-5, alum drive shaft
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi, 3:27, PBR's, BB LS1's

Its a badge of honor Puma, It gives your Camaro Character, not to mention a good story to share with others and have proof of it.

I like to see a road warrior with a few nicks and dinks. It tells me that your not afraid to drive it. After all, aren't cars designed to be driven?

Last edited by 85 ZXX; 01-11-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Agreed. My RS was all spiderwebbed when I got it, but after refinishing its flawless. My body shop actually found 3 coats of paint on mine, so it had already been redone twice. I had them take it down to bare and re-do it...came out beautiful.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

What I'll likely do is pick one up, then when the time does come and we soda blast the bumper I'll see how it looks and make the decision then; if I don't need the new one, I'll sell it and recoup a few hundred bucks. Given that I've got a marriage/immigration/jobs/cars/housing/getting established between now and when I finally give the Camaro full attention, I figure I should just buy it now and sit on it, because by the time I do get to it, the covers will surely be discontinued.

When I did take it in to talk about having the nose resprayed back in the day, they did suggest that replacing the chin and the bumper cover would be best. *shrug*

I wish there was some type of rhyme/reason/method to the order of parts discontinuation, so we could somewhat plan/expect what will be available longer.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:59 AM

Puma.. Since you put that baby out there.. post up a couple more shots... Im diggin the baby blue!
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Supreme Member

Already got a thread

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...y-1990-rs.html