History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

89 Iroc convertible - worth it to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 IROC
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW posi w/3.27gears
89 Iroc convertible - worth it to buy?

I saw "aco2451"'s post from a few days ago and the helpful responses. I am in a similar situation and looking for some advice. I have an opportunity to buy an '89 Iroc Convertible roller but there are some things that I'm not sure/concerned about. Here goes:

- It has an Oklahoma "salvage" title from 2004 (the last "clean" title was from Missouri in 2001 according to the Carfax I ran on it). I'm in the process of investigating if that will transfer to a NY "salvage rebuild" title (which costs $200 to get AFTER all the work has been done). Anyone have experience working with the NY DMV on something like this?

- Both rear floor pans are shot. I know that convertibles use additional floor pan bracing but will the replacement ones that are used in the coupes work if the braces are reinstalled? I have good rear pans to cut out of my "donor" '85 IROC that was totaled 3 weeks ago (thanks to the 19 yr old genius who ran the red light and t-boned me while looking for his Ipod......)

- the rest of the body is pretty straight although whoever painted it last did little more that a rattle can job on it.

- The interior of the car is pretty much shot as are all the mouldings. The top is ok but it is missing the headliner and I have no idea if the vert motors work.

- The car was set up as a TPI (which my donor car also was) so the driveline swap "should" be fairly straightforward. I did plan to investigate a newer style harness though so I don't have to deal with the '85's slower computer and burnoff module.

- So......The asking price?..... $650.00 This is in upstate NY and we don't see many verts which is why I am interested. I'd really appreciate any help with this. I'm not afraid of the work but want to know that the investment of time (and money) is worth it. Thanks!