History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

how much $ is too Much?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: how much $ is too Much?

never mind. found the thread...looks like the recall is only of 90-92 models even though other years seen to have the same issues.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Absolutely love looking and those under chassis & drive train pictures. I could look at those type of picts all day long. pictures of straight shiny cars are everywhere. It's hard sometimes to tell a 10K car from a 100K mile car from the outside. Very Nice car!

Pictures like that are what validate & separate.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock

Pristine! Great buy!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice IROC!
Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Camaro Z28 1LE- Z03
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5spd

Well I would have told you it was a good price before seeing the pictures. After the pictures, I agree with what others have posted. This was a steal. Congrats on a beautiful car. Glad you are not daily driving it, and also glad you aren't afraid to drive it completely.
Crazy to think the car is 30 years old and still has only 12,000 miles on it. My recommendation is to drive it regularly when the weather is nice. The miles won't rack up too fast on you.

Last edited by detltu; 02-20-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:32 PM

The way I figure it, the car has averaged 400 miles a year so far. If I keep it around that I will be happy. I'm sure the first year or 2 will be more, maybe do a trip with it but if I can help it, it will only see sunshine.

As crazy as it sounds, I am really looking forward to maintaining this IROC, but keeping it as original as I possibly can. My neighbor saw it last weekend and agreed that it's a car that shouldn't be screwed with. I am sure there are guys on here that would say "mess with it until it breaks, then do it again"....but I have another project for that.

Currently building a '53 GMC short box, it is going to be totally custom and "screwed with". So I am at complete ends of the spectrum, a car that will be 100% bone stock and low mileage, then the other totally 100% hand built and will have the tires run off of it
Old 02-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Stock frame, all original sheet metal....everything else is gonna be changed out
Old 02-20-2017, 10:40 PM

Also have a '53 Chev 5 window "waiting in the wings". Not sure the direction this one will take. Will most likely do this one with my dad and will build it for him to enjoy
Old 02-20-2017, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by Croz
I saw the news about the ice storm. Family is driving through the States right now and it is chasing them. For the few months of not being able to drive it, it will give me time to give it a good clean, polish, change all the fluids and just sit and have a beer while looking at it. For those who said the 17" chrome wheels had to go well here it is back on the originals......the wheels are in really good shape.

Soooo much nicer with the factory wheels!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:53 PM

Had the car out yesterday. Didn't go far but nice to drive with the tops off. Ran great, no surprises or disappointments. I ended up taking the factory wheels off with the original gatorback tires (didnt trust them). put the 17" back on, will look for a good set of tires for the stock wheels in the next few weeks. Still needs a good clean up, polish and going through. Was just happy to see it out in the sun.....will post some better pics when its all shined up.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:54 PM

Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

Originally Posted by sonjaab
The dealer will look at you like you have three heads or give you the blowoff
when you ask about ANY recall for a 25+yo car !!!!!!!

As far as them being required to repair it forget that too!
Since the recall is over 10 years old they DON'T have to bother repairing it!

Read the NHTSAs rules and notices closely!
Its been posted here before....................
I did read them closely..safety items are still covered. See below.

My girlfriend's son bought a 91 Z28 when I posted in this thread back in February of 2017. The gas tank filler neck leaked gas. I called the the local Chevrolet dealer and explained the gas tank leak and old safety recall issue. They said the gas tank filler neck was STILL covered. Then they ran they VIN for the 91 Z28 and produced documentation that showed this 91 Z28 had the filler neck repaired in 2008 at a Chevrolet dealership in Texas. They provided the dealerships name etc. The local dealer told me if the 91 Z28 had not previously been repaired under recall for the filler neck issue it would have been covered and repaired.

I actually went through chasing this issue down.
Maybe the local dealer was just honest.

I had all of facts and details together BEFORE contacting the local dealer. The dealership made ever effort to be helpful. Giving the specific NHSTA recall number and having the car's ViN helped. However, if I hadn't had my facts straight and all details ready I'm sure the dealer would have brushed it off. Being polite and professional also helped.

One of my friends had a 93 Dodge truck and sold it. The newer owner ran the VIN in 2009 and found an outstanding recall on the truck for the wrong suspension springs. The local Dodge dealer replaced the defective original springs for free under the old 90's recall.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Wow you stole this car very clean
Old 07-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful car, excellent buy.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro B4C
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

What lowering springs are on it?
Old 07-03-2017, 12:57 AM

They are iX Intrax springs. The lowering kit was already in the car when I bought it. Not sure if they are a 1" or a 2" lowering spring. I have all the originals with the stickers still on them.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

are irocs made in canada worth the same as the irocs made in the us ?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by ray jr
are irocs made in canada worth the same as the irocs made in the us ?
Do you mean are IROC'S worth as much / same desire here as the States? All the F bodies that were sold in Canada were built in the states.

And to answer what I think you are asking the answer I believe is yes. Most Camaros, Firebirds and mustangs were beaten to an inch of their life, or were cut up and modified or have a wack of miles on them. There are very few original examples around that have not been modified or fixed up, and with the population of Canada as compared to the States, they are a little harder to find.

I think if you compare apples to apples across the border and factor in the currency exchange you will find they are similar in price. Since I have had mine I have had 3 offers in excess of $20 thou to buy it ($16,000 US).
Old 07-18-2017, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you mean are IROC'S worth as much / same desire here as the States? All the F bodies that were sold in Canada were built in the states.

And to answer what I think you are asking the answer I believe is yes. Most Camaros, Firebirds and mustangs were beaten to an inch of their life, or were cut up and modified or have a wack of miles on them. There are very few original examples around that have not been modified or fixed up, and with the population of Canada as compared to the States, they are a little harder to find.

I think if you compare apples to apples across the border and factor in the currency exchange you will find they are similar in price. Since I have had mine I have had 3 offers in excess of $20 thou to buy it ($16,000 US).
no i mean , say you had two identical irocs with 10,000 miles on them and one had canada gauges and one had us gauges , would they bring the same money in the us or would collectors shy away because of the gauges ..
Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by ray jr
no i mean , say you had two identical irocs with 10,000 miles on them and one had canada gauges and one had us gauges , would they bring the same money in the us or would collectors shy away because of the gauges ..
That I dont know.... I would say it depends on the collector and the vehicle itself. I think if a guy changed the gauges it would take away more from the car then leaving it. Providing the vehicles are exactly the same I would assume the better car brings the better money. There were far fewer F bodies sold in Canada then the US.....

I know when our dollar was on par or slightly higher in 2013 there were a wack of vehicles being brought into Canada from the states. 3 of my daily drivers came out of Washington. Now that our dollar is back down to .75, cars are now heading south again. If 60's mustangs and Mopar stuff is being imported into the States From Canada I dont think there is much concern for them not being worth as much.

Personally for me, I would chase the better car and not worry about whether it was originally in the US or Canada. I would just need to consider the shipping cost, import and inspection costs and weigh it all out.

Another thing to consider is I think value is added to a collector car when the entire history is documented and supported with pictures, repair bills, etc. 2 cars, both with 10,000 miles, I would feel better buying the one with history then the one just run through an auction and knowing nothing about it. Luckily for me, I found the car I wanted (other then the color), it was local and the cars entire history is local.

This is the binder I got with my IROC. It has every bill of sale, every ever bought for the vehicle (oil, filters, recalls, repairs). It also has a large assortment of GM advertisements, the brochure for 1987, magazine articles of several years, all put into plastic page protectors. This showed me how the past owners paid attention to detail and must have done the same with the car. It certainly added value for me....
Old 09-25-2017, 03:39 PM

The leaves on the trees are turning color already and soon will be end of another summer. Had the IROC out today for a short cruise. Very happy with it overall, drives nice and tight, and havent had any "surprises" yet. Sad to say being so busy this year I have only put on about 80 km, but that is partially due to the fact I havent gone through the car yet with a fine tooth comb before taking it out for a longer road trip. So fat I have had 2 offers to buy the Iroc, but the more I spend time with it the more I feel it isnt going anywhere for a while.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

It's a beautiful car - you should be enjoying it more!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Sooooo, you put the chrome wheels back on I see.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Sooooo, you put the chrome wheels back on I see.
I tried running the gator backs, one had a slight vibration so I didntt really trust them to run on. Over the winter I will get a set of tires and put them on the stock wheels, but set the gator backs aside
Old 09-25-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Oh. I didn't know you still had the Gatorbacks on the wheels. Good choice then. You don't want to wreck a nice car due to old tires.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Beautiful car. just watch that nose when pulling up steep inclines, especially with lowering springs lol
Old 09-26-2017, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by TylerSteez
Beautiful car. just watch that nose when pulling up steep inclines, especially with lowering springs lol
And there is the other reason why it probably hasn't been out much this year. I find myself worrying about the road, approaches and routes to drive rather then enjoying the car......Over the winter it may find the original springs going back it along with new rubber and the factory wheels.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 AM

Received 103 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: '84 Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Drive the wheels off that thing. You only live once and can't take it with you. Such a great car. Best of the 350 cars. 2nd best IROC, close runner up to the '85.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 350 HSR afr195 xfi268
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

And there is the other reason why it probably hasn't been out much this year. I find myself worrying about the road, approaches and routes to drive rather then enjoying the car......Over the winter it may find the original springs going back it along with new rubber and the factory wheels.
car looks great!!!! Love the stance, I'd tough it out and leave as is and try not to worry. Enjoy it!!! If something breaks, scratches, dents, etc. it can be fixed.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 & 91 Z28 1LEs, 87 IROC-Z, 90 ZR1
Engine: L98, LT5
Transmission: 700R4, 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.42, 3.73, 3.27

Originally Posted by maks10
car looks great!!!! Love the stance, I'd tough it out and leave as is and try not to worry. Enjoy it!!! If something breaks, scratches, dents, etc. it can be fixed.
Some people I'm sure will disagree with me, but on a low mile original paint car, if it gets scratched or dented, it can be fixed but it's no longer original and would ruin it for me. Original paint cannot be replicated. I have sold two vehicles before after they needed paintwork.

Croz, it's a stunning car!! I'm going to send you a PM, thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: 1990 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 350 HSR afr195 xfi268
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

^id think most would agree with your statement vs mine lol totally understand that mentality. I can say for myself I'm probably a better car enthusiast not worrying as much.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ev305tpi
Some people I'm sure will disagree with me, but on a low mile original paint car, if it gets scratched or dented, it can be fixed but it's no longer original and would ruin it for me. Original paint cannot be replicated. I have sold two vehicles before after they needed paintwork.
Agree 1000%..... At the very beginning of this thread I asked if by purchasing a low mile original car would a guy be too cautious about how much it gets driven, etc. funny thing is I already knew the answer to this question.

But as maks 10 said, enjoy it. This car I will enjoy be driving it when its appropriate, and maintaining to close as original as I can. I have already been "snoopin around" for maybe another IROC that isnt so perfect that can go our more often and not so worried about OEM parts...the wife hates this one, Im sure the second one she will hate even more haha!

Search this Thread