History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Trans am wheels on a camaro from factory?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans am wheels on a camaro from factory?

Hey guys, did some of the late 1992 camaros leave the factory with the black mesh (gta style) wheels? I had never heard this before, until today.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Hot 355ci
Transmission: Beefed TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:10
Re: Trans am wheels on a camaro from factory?

Don't think so.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I thought. I had never heard of that. I like the look though.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Pretty sure that rumor got started because someone was talking about 1LE and mentioned the wheels were available (referring to Firebird 1LEs) and the other person interpreted it as applying to the Camaro.

FWIW.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

https://www.thirdgen.org/1989-chevy-camaro/

Then the 1LE performance package was installed consisting of:

Fog lamp delete Aluminum driveshaft (JG1) Performance exhaust system (N10) (dual catalytic converters) Special deflected disc shocks Aluminum spare wheel with smaller spare tire (N64) Larger (11.86 inch) front rotors with Girlock or PBR Australian built HD front dual piston aluminum calipers Special swinging fuel pickup in gas tank and special 18 gallon baffled fuel tank for fuel pickup down to .5 gallon reserve to prevent fuel starvation in hard cornering.
Some came with special 16×8 light alloy mesh wheels. (XWL)
Don't look at me man, that line was in there long before I worked on the document.

The other possible start of the rumor is the 92 Heritage concept car that never got produced. But you know how magazines write about things and people just assume that it all gets built for real? Yeah.

https://www.thirdgen.org/1992-chevy-camaro/

A Special 25th Anniversary ‘Collector’s Edition’ 1992 Chevrolet Camaro was planned, but then dropped. There were to be 602 (same as the number of 1967 Z/28’s) produced. Only two prototypes were completed however. The prototype Collector’s Edition Camaro started as a white Heritage Edition RS with black stripes and body colored grill. Then the B4C police package was added. It was equipped with the Corvette L98 5.7 aluminum head engine, fitted with siamesed intake runners, and then tubular headers. This brought the horsepower rating up to 270. They were also equipped with a ZF 6-speed and GTA black `lace' 16×8 wheels.

Last edited by Drew; 10-02-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Definitely not.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

no, never on a production camaro
Old 11-11-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 373 Limited Slip

However.....lol When the first IROCs were produced, the wheels hadnt arrived yet, so they came off the line with TA rims on them and set aside til the wheels arrived. So there was a time...lol “ Keep the line moving fellas, Stack em in AGR and we will fix them later.”
Old 11-12-2017, 03:11 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*

Originally Posted by z28cop
However.....lol When the first IROCs were produced, the wheels hadnt arrived yet, so they came off the line with TA rims on them and set aside til the wheels arrived. So there was a time...lol “ Keep the line moving fellas, Stack em in AGR and we will fix them later.”
Do you have documented proof of this, or is this hearsay
Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Z28cop worked at the factory, so he has 1st hand knowledge, but it doesn't matter if there is proof or not. The cars were not released to the public with the Pontiac wheels installed.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Z28cop worked at the factory, so he has 1st hand knowledge, but it doesn't matter if there is proof or not. The cars were not released to the public with the Pontiac wheels installed.
With all due respect to him, it probably didn't happen then, regardless of his factory experience. Which I think we're saying we agree.

As I am sure you know, a factory is an assembly point. It's not where the cars are put together for special projects of programs. That's not to say someone at GM could not have grabbed "something" from the line and placed it on the "other" F-Body, but as you pointed out, it wasn't released to the public, so it would not matter.

That happens in special circumstances, like show cars, engineering programs, etc. But in the case of normal assembly, parts are sequenced-in, and based upon production forecast, individual vehicles are broadcast for production. If a part or assembly isn't available, that option or model is placed on constraint. If there is a problem with parts on-hand and the line has to stop, each supplier has a rep at the factory to address and get things moving. But again, parts or assemblies are ordered in advance or actual production, so "swapping parts" to keep things rolling, just doesn't happen on modern production - if one considered 3rd gen to be modern

Last edited by Big&BadGTA; 11-12-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Well, things do happen on the assembly line. When I was at Van Nuys in 92, the line ran out of cloth headrests for either the Camaro’s or Firebirds(I need to look back at my notes to confirm which one). I was in the office when they brought in both the Camaro and Firebird headrests. They decided they were a close enough match to go ahead and use them on the wrong cars to finish up the production. This doesn’t have anything to do with wheels, but they do make exceptions in a pinch. There are some late 92’s with the wrong headrests.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
With all due respect to him, it probably didn't happen then, regardless of his factory experience. Which I think we're saying we agree.

As I am sure you know, a factory is an assembly point. It's not where the cars are put together for special projects of programs. That's not to say someone at GM could not have grabbed "something" from the line and placed it on the "other" F-Body, but as you pointed out, it wasn't released to the public, so it would not matter.

That happens in special circumstances, like show cars, engineering programs, etc. But in the case of normal assembly, parts are sequenced-in, and based upon production forecast, individual vehicles are broadcast for production. If a part or assembly isn't available, that option or model is placed on constraint. If there is a problem with parts on-hand and the line has to stop, each supplier has a rep at the factory to address and get things moving. But again, parts or assemblies are ordered in advance or actual production, so "swapping parts" to keep things rolling, just doesn't happen on modern production - if one considered 3rd gen to be modern

On gen 3 Norwood ran with "just in time" parts arrival for scheduling, and the line did not stop once the car was committed for production and locked in sequence past one of the set off points.

Specifically the main computer scheduled unit assembly around parts in plant arrival, So lets use rail as an example- if the B+O Railroad has problems and the rail car with the "IROC wheels" does not arrive on the siding on time to be unloaded in plant, then the car is built and the parts are replaced as part of a repair order later. The substituted wheels that were removed were shipped to plant salvage and then inspected where they were either re certified for reinstallation on another car or thrown in the trash hopper.

Automotive General Repair was a busy place, as well as the repair lot in the rear of the plant.

Repairs to assembled units were commonplace.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by CPC Norwood
Automotive General Repair was a busy place, as well as the repair lot in the rear of the plant.

Ain't that the truth! As an Service Technology Group (STG) employee, we used to travel to assembly plants for validation work during pilot builds. I was assigned to truck engineering, so I spent my time at van plants in Baltimore and Wentzville. We always got along well with the end of line repair group, because we would bring them early drafts of our service manuals, and help as we could with new content on the pilot vans.

An assembly plant is a very interesting place.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CPC Norwood

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
An assembly plant is a very interesting place.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
Do you have documented proof of this, or is this hearsay
Well, we were not allowed to have cameras in the plant back in the day, so no documented proof. But my friends had one of those first IROCs and his was built with T/A Wheels. Also took that car back to the factory when the plant was closing and had a new set of Eagles put on it. Once again, no proof, but I know its true because i was there.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 PM

Many things took place at the plant that most of you would not believe, but crazy things did happen. It's not like vehicle production today. My car is almost completely covered underneath with undercoating. A purest would say, there is no way that left the factory like that, the underneath was exposed primer with paint overspray. True, except when you work there you can have certain things done to your car, such is the case of mine. i have undercoating covering the complete floorboard, and a ton in the wheel wells, so much so I imprinted 2 of my fingers in it on the night it was sprayed. i was telling the guy spraying I wanted it to last, so he said, I'll load it up. We made a joke about how much more the car probably weighs than the door tag states. Had we had cell phones back in the day, I'm sure I would have snuck a few pics. Just like all the parts I have that I snagged, I don't have GM Boxes for them, but they are NOS parts from the factory, or the "extra parts" the guys put in my spare tire well. or the Console Quartz Clock that was hooked up and running underneath the console as it rolled out the back of the plant. No inspector knew. When I got the car home, I simply removed the console and clock and drilled a 3 in hole and reattached the clock. You either believe things or not. I have many many memories I will take to my grave without proof from that factory and how we built cars. The line did not stop unless absolutly necessary. If another part would work to get the car off the final line, then it was substituted. That would probably not fly today, but it did back then.