History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Period Correct Aftermarket Engine Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Period Correct Aftermarket Engine Parts

So in my quest to make my L98 more powerful, but still keep it "period correct" I came across this SLP catalog (which I'll post photos of below) from about '89 and have taken an interest in quite a few different parts that were listed. Obviously most of the aforementioned parts are no longer in production and tracking them down may prove to be a royal PITA, as I only have catalog part numbers to go by, which are proving to be not all that useful in my searches. Really the only part I think I've found is the "Cloyes True Roller Matched Timing Chain Set" in the ninth page, which I believe is this Cloyes 9-1100SP set. From what I can tell it's identical to what's pictured, but don't hold me to that. Is there a resource available somewhere to track down old aftermarket modifications, or better yet a place to find near-identical replicas? At the very least it would be extremely helpful to track down the actual part / model numbers to help with my searches. Anyways, everything I'm interested in at least trying to track down are as follows:

- SLP High-Performance L98 TPI Throttle Body (Cat. Part No. 22002, Page 3)
- Bosch 92mm Mass Airflow Sensor (Cat. Part No. 23000, Page 4)
- SLP High-Performance Camshaft (Cat. Part No. 51006, Page 8)
- SLP High-Performance Valve-Train Components (Cat. Part Nos. 53002, 53102, 53110, 53122, Page 9)
- Cloyes "True Roller" Matches Timing Chain Set (Cat. Part No. 53202, Page 9)
- SLP Lock-Up Torque Converter (Cat. Part No. 60100, Page 10)
- Hamburger's Oil Pan (Cat. Part No. 80004, Page 10)

...and here are the catalog pages. I'll include them all for anyone else who may be interested:

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Last edited by Ryan-87GTA; 04-10-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Re: Period Correct Aftermarket Engine Parts

...and the remaining six pages:

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Page 11

Page 12
Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

This was covered already in this post.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alte...d-gen-slp.html
Any parts inquiry you might pick @TTOP350 brain.
If your looking to track down a memcal don’t waste your effort there tunes suck.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Supposedly the L98 I bought has an SLP cam. When I tear it down soon I'm going to check it out and decide if I'm going to use it or not. Probably wont, I will let you know if it checks out and you are interested. Engine had SLP runners and a sticker under the hood with some SLP info..
Old 04-11-2019, 01:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

It's a bit funny SLP has a paragraph in there saying a throttlebody airfoil is pretty much useless. Not that they're wrong, but it's funny and maybe a bit ironic that SLP has discontinued damn near everything in that catalog, but they still sell their throttlebody airfoil... Oops.. I mean "flow booster".

http://www.slponline.com/product/221...w-Booster.html

I don't know... I have a certain appreciation for some of the stuff SLP developed and sold. Their headers were functional and didn't have a lot of the drawbacks of other thirdgen headers from other companies. The visible parts that were used on the Firehawk have a certain something about them. Beyond that, their CAI systems are/were by and large overpriced, cheap and corny. The Siamese runners never seemed to make any TPI car go any faster. I can't imagine that a person couldn't do better than their cams, chips, and other bits in modern times. Of course it's all a bit moot anyway since SLP dumped their entire line of thirdgen products in favor of offering products for Corvettes, SUVs, Mustangs, and Mopars. If they think there's more value in offering exhaust systems for garbage like the Chevy Sonic or a Grand Prix than supporting the thirdgen market, I guess they can go fornicate themselves.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by Drew
It's a bit funny SLP has a paragraph in there saying a throttlebody airfoil is pretty much useless. Not that they're wrong, but it's funny and maybe a bit ironic that SLP has discontinued damn near everything in that catalog, but they still sell their throttlebody airfoil... Oops.. I mean "flow booster".

I don't know... I have a certain appreciation for some of the stuff SLP developed and sold. Their headers were functional and didn't have a lot of the drawbacks of other thirdgen headers from other companies. The visible parts that were used on the Firehawk have a certain something about them. Beyond that, their CAI systems are/were by and large overpriced, cheap and corny. The Siamese runners never seemed to make any TPI car go any faster. I can't imagine that a person couldn't do better than their cams, chips, and other bits in modern times. Of course it's all a bit moot anyway since SLP dumped their entire line of thirdgen products in favor of offering products for Corvettes, SUVs, Mustangs, and Mopars. If they think there's more value in offering exhaust systems for garbage like the Chevy Sonic or a Grand Prix than supporting the thirdgen market, I guess they can go fornicate themselves.
I agree with everything here. In around 2008 I was in Indy for the Camaro Gathering and happened to go to an SLP presentation where Ed Hamburger's son was giving a speech on something or other. At the end, someone asked a question about 3rd gens and if SLP would ever support 3rd gens again, if nothing more than just re-releasing some of it's already developed parts. Hamburger's response was odd and is the only thing I really remember from that meeting. The answer was "NO, we are done with 3rd gens", but it's the way he said it, as if he was implying, how dare you bring up 3rd gens.

Odd about SLP's "Advisory" on the airfoil as well. I'll admit to having an airfoil on almost every TPI I've ever owned. Do I believe the ridiculous claims by various manufacturers of 12 or 14 horsepower or whatever? Of course not. But they are so easy and so cheap and I usually have a spare one in my tool box, so why not. I'll take the .5 - 1 horsepower.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by chazman
But they are so easy and so cheap and I usually have a spare one in my tool box, so why not. I'll take the .5 - 1 horsepower.
No doubt. I know I've got a couple of the SLP 'Boosters' around here, and usually there are at least a couple other's around... I mean there just is no excuse for a card carrying thirdgen fanatic not to have a stack of drop in K&Ns, airfoils, AFPRs, and so forth. Best part is TPI is obscure enough now that the stuff tends to be extremely affordable when the seller isn't an enthusiast. Get past the TPI performance part/1LE NOS everything scalpers on Ebay, people are dying to get inventory that's been languishing on shelves for decades, out the door.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dmccain
Supposedly the L98 I bought has an SLP cam. When I tear it down soon I'm going to check it out and decide if I'm going to use it or not. Probably wont, I will let you know if it checks out and you are interested. Engine had SLP runners and a sticker under the hood with some SLP info..
If that's the case then I'd definitely be interested! (assuming it's still good of course ) If you happen to find any other SLP goodies in there that you don't plan on using I'd may be interested in those as well (especially valvetrain components and aluminum heads)

Originally Posted by Drew

Yeah I got a chuckle out of that as well. They did their best to bash airfoils in an attenpt to sell their throttle body kits to you, but ~twenty-five years later airfoils are all they have left to sell. I also agree that there's something special about SLP's parts for our cars. A lot of what the offered did well in improving the performance of TPI, and even then what didn't (the runners and dual CAI kit) still had a uniqe look to them and at least made one think it was making their car go faster.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

It's tempting to send a link to this discussion to SLP customer service. If these cars continue to gain following, now is the time to re-launch some of this stuff. For example, I assume/hope Dyno Don has made a killing selling quality headers in their absence. Would be cool if they could bring some of it back....
Old 04-11-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
It's tempting to send a link to this discussion to SLP customer service. If these cars continue to gain following, now is the time to re-launch some of this stuff. For example, I assume/hope Dyno Don has made a killing selling quality headers in their absence. Would be cool if they could bring some of it back....
By all means, if you want to feel free, you have my blessing I completely agree though. They'd make an absolute killing just selling Tri-Y's and T-Rams if nothing else.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

I've called SLP in the past. They simply don't care and they don't even want to talk about it. They are so vehemently against 3rd gen parts it makes no sense. It's like there is a backstory somewhere which we are not aware of. Like the government or mafia or someone paid a visit and said, "if you like your kneecaps, you'll forget all about 3rd gens".

Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Old 04-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

Charlie, that is so much funnier coming from you!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

I've called SLP in the past. They simply don't care and they don't even want to talk about it. They are so vehemently against 3rd gen parts it makes no sense. It's like there is a backstory somewhere which we are not aware of. Like the government or mafia or someone paid a visit and said, "if you like your kneecaps, you'll forget all about 3rd gens".
Maybe because the Firehawk was a money pit? They probably lost a bunch of money on it and never recouped the investment in the aftermarket parts.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
Maybe because the Firehawk was a money pit? They probably lost a bunch of money on it and never recouped the investment in the aftermarket parts.
Then why wouldn't they want to sell some?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Then why wouldn't they want to sell some?
Maybe emotion is clouding their judgement lol. Seriously, the market might be too small to jump back in though. What is the possibility that the tooling for the parts exists anymore?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 746 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

They did sell off a lot of the old inventory through summit at discounted prices.
A lot of the molds and info were supposedly lost in the big fire.
Hate to say it but the cost of bringing the parts back would be sky high, I'm sure a few people would buy them buuuut I doubt it would be a sales winner for them.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Charlie, that is so much funnier coming from you!
All done with the aid of post surgical narcotics.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Wow that's some good looking stuff there Bob.
Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Old 04-12-2019, 10:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Thanks
You Like Dustin?? Maybe SOMEDAY I'll finally put them on my "project" car!!
They all cleaned up so darn nice too!!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM
Supreme Member

Havent even began to take my engine apart Bob and have had the rebuild kit for months. Supposedely has an SLP cam.. we shall soon see. Hope to freshen it up and drop her in my Bird around July when it gets too hot for carshows.