History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

My '89 IROC Z Vert does not have.................

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z 305 LB9 AT Convertible
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: AT
My '89 IROC Z Vert does not have.................

Electrically operated Tonneau release, nor electrically operated deck-lid release. It DOES have electric deck-lid pull-down. Is this OE? The copy of the factory order form does NOT list or mention electric tonneau or deck lid release. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: My '89 IROC Z Vert does not have.................

The pulldown is a carry over from the hardtop, up until GM changed the design in mid 91, they all have it. Mid-91-92 have a standard latch.

The electric tonneau release should be there, normally it takes the place of the trunk release button/feature. Can't say I've ever seen one that didn't have it, but then I haven't really looked for it specifically. fwiw.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

Does anyone know, with certainty, if they built 1989 IROC Z VERTS that only have the 2 power window switches, on the console? IE NO power decklid (trunk) release and NO power Tonnau release? It does have the trunk pulldown. That is what I have, but the interior was changed from it's original RED to BLACK.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by mikeceli
Does anyone know, with certainty, if they built 1989 IROC Z VERTS that only have the 2 power window switches, on the console? IE NO power decklid (trunk) release and NO power Tonnau release? It does have the trunk pulldown. That is what I have, but the interior was changed from it's original RED to BLACK.
I can't say there was never a power release for the tonneau cover, but I have never seen one that was not a manual release/manual top. I believe since they were all outsourced to be made into convertibles, you just got manual cover/top. Does seem weird you do not have a power release for the trunk as it would have released the same way a coupe's hatch would.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
I can't say there was never a power release for the tonneau cover, but I have never seen one that was not a manual release/manual top. I believe since they were all outsourced to be made into convertibles, you just got manual cover/top. Does seem weird you do not have a power release for the trunk as it would have released the same way a coupe's hatch would.
No. Sounds like you're thinking of the top, rather than the tonneau.

All the convertibles I've seen either have the standard trunk release switch with a picture of a tonneau cover on it, either in the usual place in the console or on the tonneau itself behind the driver's seat, next to the top release. Pull the top release, fold the back of the top up, press the tonneau switch, open the tonneau, fold the top down into the well, close the tonneau.

Without the remote switch to release the tonneau, you have to add the additional step of releasing the tonneau on both sides of the car, by folding down the back seat and fishing around for the manual release cables.

Usually, the convertibles don't have a power trunk release. Pull-down yes, remote release no. Among other issues, if the tonneau and the trunk are opened at the same time on a convertible thirdgen, it'll damage one or both since they would try to occupy the same space. It makes sense that ASC repurposed the trunk function for the tonneau function when you consider which would be used more frequently, cost savings, avoiding someone accidentally hitting both switches and damaging the car, the limited trunk space, etc and so on.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

OP Here. I suspect when the Knuckleheads who converted my IROC Z from red/black interior to black/gray, removed the console, they installed a console with ONLY the 2 power window switches. I won't know till I get into the interior restoration, months from now. I am very querious!