Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th Gen Wiring; Good Progress + Info!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Re: 4th Gen Wiring; Good Progress + Info!

SIR harness is completely GONE... Just pulled the last 2 terminals out of the C200 on the left side of the dash... The relay with all of the yellow wires wasn't in it... I'm thinking it might be the starter enable relay, but I haven't tested the wires yet to be sure. 2 of the wires are big fat ones... There's another one next to it I have no idea what it's for.

Not running the MSII as it comes in the case... I'm using a 165 adapter card to fit it in the factory case... So I don't have to butcher the engine harness even more than I already have (ALL A/C and emissions deleted).

Plan is to take the wiring out of the 4th gen C200, C210, C220, C230, and C240 and run them to the 3rd gen C100, C207 and C208... Essentially making the 4th gen plug and play.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Well, I figured some things out over the last couple days...

1. The relays on the passenger's side are the hatch release and starter enable.
2. The relay on the driver's side is the fuel pump relay.
3. In order to use the VATS module from an earlier car, the plastic body of the connector has to be swapped over (the green connector won't fit in the VATS module with the black connector), and the pinouts are different between the 2.
4. I need to find a way to add the LID fuse OR run a wire to the 4th gen box for the hatch motor.
5. It's a real pain removing the terminals from the fuse panel to remove the SIR garbage and swap over the wiring for the C220 junction block. The 4th gen doesn't leave any terminals where wires can easily be added, the terminals are all compressed as though wires are in them but there aren't .

I'm still having difficulty locating a pinout for the C240 in the 93 harness... I'm thinking there has to be something important in there. I know what the terminals are but don't know what they do. I guess I need to go wire hunting.

Oh, and where is the hatch release button located on a 93 Camaro? There isn't another one at the yard (rest of the 4th gens are Birds), and mine didn't have the button even though it had everything else. I'd like to think it's in the glove compartment like in the other cars GM made in the 90s, but IDK.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Supreme Member

Update:

93+ C240 (in the dash harness, passenger's side) is for the door speakers. It's gone, with all of the associated wiring. I have separate speaker harnesses that will be running through the cross-car window harness.

Few more notes:
1. The last foot or so of the cross-car harness conduit (between the first and second pins from the driver's door) needs to be cut off to get the 93's dash to fit more flush with the cowl. The wires have enough space between the driver's side door window defrost duct and the space under the cowl lip to run out of the end of the conduit.
2. The clutch start switch on earlier cars doesn't work with a 4th gen dash that has the convenience center to the driver's side of the steering column, facing the driver. The end of the actuator rod will hit the back of the convenience center. A pedal set and clutch switch from a later car is needed to remedy this (early cars don't have the retainer bracket for the newer switch), and the wiring connector needs to be swapped with the one in the 4th gen harness (unless you already have the later-model connector) because the retainers are different.
3. The HVAC connectors are the same, except for the one that had been connected to the MODE lever on the 3rd gen, which would need to be cut out and rewired with the 4th gen connector (I haven't done this yet but it's coming).

My 93 dash is mounted... Need to fix a couple errors I made in harness routing (squished the wiper harness and need to fix it ), and finish wiring in the security box (not the VATS, aftermarket) and a couple of things I need to add to the C100 (VSS wiring, reverse switch wiring). I also need to fab up a lower mounting bracket for the trans tunnel (unless someone thinks I can get away without it, but there is little support in the middle), and get my hands on a glove box door latch and the 3 trim pieces I left at the junkyard . I'll have pics soon. I will also need to fab up a spacer piece between the windshield and the dash, but that's going to have to wait until I make sure all of the wiring works first .
Old 09-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Another question:

I picked up a 4th gen heater module off eBay. I still need to get the module half of the vacuum harness. Question I have is that I have the A/C heater system, with the heater core coolant diverter valve (heater control valve). Is there a connection for such a thing in the 4th gen harness, or am I going to be stuck with it on full time? Also, am I to assume that the black hose in the harness is the vacuum inlet from the intake manifold?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...4thgenhvac.gif

None to be seen for the HCV, Mavrick. Black should be to the vacuum source.
I'm still waffling on the idea of putting a 4thgen dash in the 'bird since I have a complete one but, I've not quite sold myself on the idea just yet, though.

The idea I had, to keep the HCV functional, was to put a limit switch on the temperature selector door and tie it to a vacuum solenoid like the one used on the EGR valve. When cold is selected, the limit switch powers the solenoid and passes vacuum to the HCV. Considering it could be done external of the controls, it would be easy enough to see if it's even needed at all before going through the trouble of extra wiring if no real gain is to be had from it.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Supreme Member

for the link... I got the box installed but in order to check the hose routings I need to take part of the dash back apart. I played pick-a-line for the input (aka pick a line, blow through it, and connect everything to the one the air comes out of) and am leaving the other not connected to anything. The HCV has been deleted along with the piping on the frame rail and stainless hose (not braided... FULL stainless) installed in it's place.

Now I have a leak at the 12AN fitting I'm using to go from the heater port on the intake to the hose running to the core... Going to replace the fitting shortly.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 5.0L V8
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I use butt connectors and shrink tubing for my wiring. double threat! lol