Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Window still slow after lube-now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Formula, '92 TA, '91 ZR-1
Engine: 350, 305, LT-5
Window still slow after lube-now what?

After checking earlier threads about slow moving power windows, I took the door panel off of the drivers side of my '91 and cleaned all of the tracks as well as I could and relubricated them with white grease. I knew that results would not be instant so I tried moving them up and down a little at the time until the overload on the motor tripped out hoping the movement in the window would get longer each time. But the window still will not go but about 1-2 inches before it stops the motor sounds good for the first second and then it sounds like it bogs down. What else can I try to correct this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Window still slow after lube-now what?

Sounds like the window is binding. Check the the two guides at the top of the door frame.

JamesC
Old 06-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry I can't add anything of value to your post Jason, but I have a similar problem with my passenger side window. I will roll down at a slow steady pace for about 1/3 of the way, then it will stop and a fast clicking sound starts up until I release the button.

Could this be a binding situation?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by JamesC
Sounds like the window is binding. Check the the two guides at the top of the door frame.

JamesC
JamesC,
Thanks for the reply. After reading your post, I loosened the two guides completely (I assume that it the two gold adjustable plates with felts on the ends of them that touch the glass as it goes up) so that the glass is completely free and it still bogs the motor down. I wonder if the motor really is going bad?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it could be juat a tired motor.If you need one here's a link to the ones that we carry.

Trans Am Window Motor
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 AM

Finally after a month, I replaced the motor and my DS power window works perfectly again!! The job was really not as bad as I had envisioned it in my mind, based on the horror stories I had read about. Granted, I still had about 5 hours in it, but now that I have done one and know how it works, I think that I can probably knock that time in half. The trickiest part is removing the scissor assembly from the guides. Also, I would suggest wearing those thin cloth gloves with the rubber palms while doing this job. I figured this out after cutting my hands on the sharp edges of the metal about four times on the removal. Also, if you have a buddy at a body shop who has a rivet gun that uses 1/4" rivets, it is well worth your time to ask him if you can borrow it for the evening when you get ready to install the new motor in the door. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this project!!

Jason
Old 07-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason444
Finally after a month, I replaced the motor and my DS power window works perfectly again!! The job was really not as bad as I had envisioned it in my mind, based on the horror stories I had read about. Granted, I still had about 5 hours in it, but now that I have done one and know how it works, I think that I can probably knock that time in half. The trickiest part is removing the scissor assembly from the guides. Also, I would suggest wearing those thin cloth gloves with the rubber palms while doing this job. I figured this out after cutting my hands on the sharp edges of the metal about four times on the removal. Also, if you have a buddy at a body shop who has a rivet gun that uses 1/4" rivets, it is well worth your time to ask him if you can borrow it for the evening when you get ready to install the new motor in the door. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this project!!

Jason
Glad to see yah fixed, now you can hit the drive thru.