Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Camaro/Firebird Swapable parts??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camaro/Firebird Swapable parts??????

Hello everyone! I just joined today in liu of obtaining a 1990 firebird formula gta!, and have some quick questions! The guy i bought the car from converted it to carburated, and painted it black (was red) so esentially the originality is gone. But i have a few issues... one with rust on the floors and one with the interior looking like poo. So i was wondering what parts if any are swapable from other camaros or other later model firebirds to my 90? (specifically floor pans, door panels, seats, dash, blower motors for heat and a/c etc??) My end goal is to have a nice clean interior with a totaly built carburated 350 (shooting for 400hp) (I tired to search around in the threads and didnt find anything so please point me that way if there is something already up!.

(1990 Firebird Formula Trans Am GTA - 305 - with power everything)

Thanks Everyone! - Erik.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 454 BBC
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Camaro/Firebird Swapable parts??????

Erik,

I may be mistaken but I don't believe there was such a thing as a Formula GTA. Those were two different options with their own unique package.

To your question though most everything you mentioned would interchange. The only things that I have found not to work between the Firebird/Camaro is the front clip components. Though you could switch them out fairly easy. Mainly a fender, hood, and bumper will not swap between the two unless you change out everything together.
Doors I believe are the same. never hear otherwise and actually sold some interior door panels from a trans am to a guy that wanted them for a Camaro. Floor pans would be identical. Seats all the same.
Some 4th gen camaro/firebird parts can be used as well but Im not sure what all can be used. I know the rear end swap is common as well as some interior swaps.

Hope that helps!
Others will give advice as well.
Oh and Welcome to TGO!!!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Thanks a bunch! yea sorry for the mix up i looked up the RPO codes on the car its a straight GTA! thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated on the advice.. going to a junk yard to find floor boards today!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Dash may swap from a Camaro to a Bird (key word being MAY as I've never had a Camaro dash to test in the 87). However, the dash from a Bird will NOT swap to a Camaro without modifying the side brackets, namely cutting the top 2/3 off. Dash pads don't swap either.