Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

1989 Firebird Formula Ignition Switch/Interior Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Firebird Formula Ignition Switch/Interior Issues

Hey,

I'm new here to the site, due to buying myself a 1989 Firebird Formula (Medium Maui Blue, 305 V8). Now, I have the car and it's in pretty rough shape. The guy I bought it from told me he had a "mechanic" come out and "fix" the Ignition switch. I can't start the car because the chip that sends and receives signals to the computer doesn't seem like it want's to co-operate. I need to replace this, and I need help finding one that is pretty cheap and will work. Either that, or a completely new Ignition switch and chip. I already have the steering wheel off, and need to get a new nut to bolt the steering wheel back together.
I also need help finding some REALLY cheap seats to replace the seats, due to age, stains and tearing (Only in the front seats). I have tan seats, with the grey dashboard.

PLEASE, help me out here. I saw this forum and knew this is where I could gain insight on my first car (I'm only 15, and edging 16), and find out some important things that will help me restore this beast of a car. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Re: 1989 Firebird Formula Ignition Switch/Interior Issues

were you given the key from the previous ignition switch? if so just take that key and get it cut to the key that goes with the switch in the car now. what it sounds like is the shop just got a switch and had a key cut without matching the code in the orig key.

there are 15 diff codes that were opted with the VATS system so having the orig key will save much work.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by QUICKCHICKEN
were you given the key from the previous ignition switch? if so just take that key and get it cut to the key that goes with the switch in the car now. what it sounds like is the shop just got a switch and had a key cut without matching the code in the orig key.

there are 15 diff codes that were opted with the VATS system so having the orig key will save much work.
Hey,

I have the original GM chip key, and the new set of ignition keys. I'm getting 550$ tomorrow from selling my motorcycle, so my father wants me to pay for the parts to fix my car (No issue, since I'd like to see it start up, and so I can drive it). I'm replacing the Ignition Lock, and the Ignition Switch to something that's compatible. Practically tossing the new Ignition lock out the door, but I'd rather be 100% sure that it will crank, and since It's only 15$, I'm pretty much OK. Also grabbing a new battery, seat covers, floor pads, and a new air filter (Since I took a look at the air filter and it looked like a psychopathic pyromaniac decided to take a hammer and beat it up.).
Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 6.0 LS
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.70

all you have to do is get a key cut like the current one using the orig keys code. this can be done at GM. this way you wont need to buy another key cyl.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by QUICKCHICKEN
all you have to do is get a key cut like the current one using the orig keys code. this can be done at GM. this way you wont need to buy another key cyl.
Hey,

I think the only issue with that is finding a GM manufacturer around where I live that can come out and get a Key cut, with the original codes. Plus, that's a lot more money to get that done, I think?

PS: Thanks for the help! Glad I signed up here!