Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Pro 5.0 and Lous Short Stick in firebird console?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pro 5.0 and Lous Short Stick in firebird console?

Hey everyone! This is my first post on TGO. Anyways does anybody have any idea if this combo will work? I have an 89 that I'm completely rebuilding. My main question is: Will the Pro 5.0 and Lous Short Stick work in the 85-90 5 speed console without issue? I plan on using the SLP shifter **** if it matters any. Thanks in advance for the replies!
Old 01-22-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73
Re: Pro 5.0 and Lous Short Stick in firebird console?

Welcome to TGO

I'm a Camaro guy, but I don't see why it'd be any different. The Pro 5.0, assuming yours is for thirdgens, is angled to offset the fact that our T5's don't mount straight up and down. You may already know this. ...if the "short stick" is also angled like this, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As for function, oh yeah, it'll work great. Pro5.0 is awesome. ...I sold mine since it won't work with my new TKO, but it was an awesome shifter.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Welcome to TGO

I'm a Camaro guy, but I don't see why it'd be any different. The Pro 5.0, assuming yours is for thirdgens, is angled to offset the fact that our T5's don't mount straight up and down. You may already know this. ...if the "short stick" is also angled like this, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

As for function, oh yeah, it'll work great. Pro5.0 is awesome. ...I sold mine since it won't work with my new TKO, but it was an awesome shifter.
The short stick is made for 93-02 F-bodies. It has a 45 degree angle in it, towards the driver side. That is the only thing that makes me worry about it not working.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

OK, just so we're clear, I'm not sure about what my idea....but.....

....the stock 4th gen shifter is offset towards the driver because of the rubber bushing isolater thingy. Aftermarket shifters, not having this offset are angled to put the shift know back in your hand. ....since the thirdgen transmission is angled towards the driver to begin with, it too has an angled shifter, but it's angled AWAY from the driver, so as to appear to come straight up from the trans.

...could you just flip it 180 so it angles away from you instead of towards you?
Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
OK, just so we're clear, I'm not sure about what my idea....but.....

....the stock 4th gen shifter is offset towards the driver because of the rubber bushing isolater thingy. Aftermarket shifters, not having this offset are angled to put the shift know back in your hand. ....since the thirdgen transmission is angled towards the driver to begin with, it too has an angled shifter, but it's angled AWAY from the driver, so as to appear to come straight up from the trans.

...could you just flip it 180 so it angles away from you instead of towards you?
Hmm, I didn't think about that! Maybe? I don't have it yet because I wanted to make sure it would work before spending the money only to find out it doesn't work. I will try that though. If not, I could always find someone to buy it. Thanks for the idea, I'll update when I know for sure.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Originally Posted by roberthodges84
The short stick is made for 93-02 F-bodies. It has a 45 degree angle in it, towards the driver side. That is the only thing that makes me worry about it not working.
I have the Pro 5.0 + angled short-stick for my T56 swap.

I have an automatic console that I cut the PRNDL out with a dremel. With the PRNDL cut out, and the angled short stick 1st gear is awfully close to the left front of the console cut-out.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: LG4 305/4bbl for now
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

I put a Hurst shifter stick on my Pro 5.0 and it does favor the drivers side more, but thats ok with me.