Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Emergency Brake Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Emergency Brake Rattle

Hey guys and gals...okay so we all know...our emergency brake handle rattles. Its the button mainly from what I can tell. Okay...so someone told me to take off the plastic handle...and put I guess some adhesive felt on the inside of it??? Seems hard to get to that way...and what solutions do you guys have for that? I definitely dont want to go thru the hassle at the moment of getting a while new assembly or what not. Need ur advice...if you have used the felt strip with adhesive tell me EXACTLY how you put it on please That would help
Old 08-01-2017, 01:30 PM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi
Re: Emergency Brake Rattle

i have this same issue, my idea is to just remove the single phillips screw and put felt around the button.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 PM

Car: 90 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4

Me to, i stuck a tooth pick in mine
Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM
On Probation

Hey guys emergency or parking brake rattle fixed!!! All right...so two things u need to know. First of what worked for me may not work for u. Second if u try the way I did I used the fuzzy side or felt side of some Velcro. Not just any Velcro either. I found some industrial strength (very sticky) high temp LOW profile kind! It's actually not super easy to find, go on EBAY and buy it there for like 7 bucks for a 5ft role or how ever much it is.

​​​​​next part, the previous owner of the car had some how basically stripped or almost stripped out the screw holding on the plastic ebrak handle. So I went to Ace hardware, I could only find silver color and it's an M4 screw. So I had some screw cutter/pliers and thread it into an 8/32 hole and cut it very close to size of old one. A tinny bit shorter than the other one, so maybe buy a couple of screws. Anyways...i took off the hand brake cover and put the felt Velcro onto the outside of the brake button. Take the handle and give it a good shove...once it goes on u will realize the Velcro is a tad bit too thick. No worries, grab a straight razor and shave some off and try again, u don't need to shave much off. I drove down the road and man...I have to say it is nice not having the rattle! That thing is solid as a brick! Unfortunately once u stop one rattle u notice others SMH lol
Old 08-17-2017, 04:22 PM
On Probation

And yes I'm going to spray paint the screw black eventually