Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

1986 Camaro Iroc Z28

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Camaro Iroc Z28

Im restoring this classic beauty but I'm locked out of the truck. I know there's a mechanism inside that you turn to the left with pliers to release the trunk.

Heres the issue how do you get the material that covering it off? It had some screws which I took out. Just won't budge and obviously I don't want to break it!
Old 08-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 Camaro Iroc Z28

Im restoring this classic beauty but I'm locked out of the truck. I know there's a mechanism inside that you turn to the left with pliers to release the trunk.

Heres the issue how do you get the material that covering it off? It had some screws which I took out. Just won't budge and obviously I don't want to break it!
Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: 1986 Camaro Iroc Z28

You can remove that little black switch by taking out the 2 philips head screws. Once you do that you will have a little bit of access to the hatch motor. You'll need a small flashlight and you will - obviously - be working in some really tight conditions, but you should be able to get behind the hatch panel just enough,....

This is what it looks like behind the hatch panel :

If your car HAS a hatch Release Solenoid ( Marked with an 'X' ) then you will need to move it out of the way. You * should * be able to remove the 10mm screw that holds the Release Solenoid. It will not be "easy" and you will probably struggle a bit - but you should be able to get to it. ( try a 1/4" swivel socket / extension, or maybe a small 10mm wrench.

** If your having problems and just can't seem to get to that screw thru the switch hole you can remove the light lens. Bust it if you need to - cheaper to buy a little light lens than to try and find a decent black rear hatch panel !

Once the 10mm screw is removed you've got to move the Release Solenoid down and to the pass side to free it from the hatch motor.

The Yellow circle shows the small "arm" on the solenoid that holds in in position so the screw can be installed. it will "catch" on the hatch motor, so you will have to wiggle and jiggle the solenoid till it's free. The RED circle shows you the prize,..... it's a small 'window' that allows access to a little lever inside the latch that will release the hatch.

Once the Solenoid is free, Use a flat screwdriver to push the little lever inside the "window" to the pass side & down.

BAM ! Hatch is open !!!

Good luck !

Old 08-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am

Here's going for broke. My car was parked years ago with a working hatch, now that I got it out of storage it won't release.

Last edited by rgauder; 08-21-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

You can pry out the light and once that's removed you will have access to the release cable.Just give it a tug and the hatch will release.Thats how I do it at the junkyards