Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Rear hatch struts for Defogger

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:28 PM
On Probation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Rear hatch struts for Defogger

Okay...figured I would make a new thread on this...so A-Where have you guys bought your rear hatch struts with the defogger hook ups and they have not caused you any issues.

I spoke with someone on thirdgen...Hawks motorsports and Camaro central and they all said that they either do not carry ones with these hook ups bc of this reason...the ones from Ricks the guy had never heard of this happening. I'm afraid to buy from Advanced auto or something considering this is a known issue??? If anyone has any laying around that are not worn slap out I would be interested in buying some...the ones I have shoot up like cannons! I'm kinda on the fence with these...I heard that they ARE intended to do that when these cars came out from the factory....so I think if that's how they originally.

Also what would be the process of testing to see if it is in fact the rear hatch struts causing the problem...if it was indeed shorting out the switch as soon as I turn it on then I cant test the hook ups in the back can I?
Old 09-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Rear hatch struts for Defogger

I think I got mine at either pep boys or autozone a few years ago.
They had the little tab for the defroster and I've had no problems with them.