Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Color Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2006 Pontiac GTO
Engine: 6.0 (383)
Transmission: A4
Color Change

Currently on the hunt for a project Z28 (3'rd Gen) for my son and I. Would really prefer one with black or gray interior. Having a hard time finding one within budget that has what we want. TPI, AUTO, T-Tops, Straight Body. Everything else I can deal with. I have passed on a few potentials because of red or even tan interior.
If I come across another one is there a good looking and durable solution for changing the color of the interior plastics, Say from red or tan to black?
Just painting them doesn't seem to me like it would be durable?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans am GTA
Engine: 5.7 liter
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Color Change

sometimes if your lucky you can find someone selling all of the interior plastics to switch colors. I was skeptical about painting plastics as well so I tried it on a spare wheel cover i have and it actually holds up a lot better than I expected, the downside I found is that if there are any scratches in the plastic it seem to be exacerbated by the paint.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I'd try pretty hard to avoid doing an interior swap. I've been there, and done that. There were a ton of gray interior cars built. It's by far the most common interior color. Everything else is harder to come by. Black is probably the hardest to find.

Red and Black both tend to fade. Seat belts, seats, will both usually be faded to pink, white, or purple.

The next big issue is that the interiors changed every few years. Different options required different holes or lack of holes in the panels. Little things like the third brake light contacts, rear wiper contact, T-top bag mounts, rear shoulder belts, rear lap belts, etc all result in different parts. Finding a complete set of exactly the correct panels to match the car can be a real pain. When you factor in damaged panels, you're probably not going to find everything you need in one place.

Figure on buying the carpet, headliner, sunvisors, speaker covers, and probably upholstery new. Short of buying NOS seat belts, or aftermarket reproductions, you're left with services that can replace the belt webbing. The rest would have to be found from donor cars. It could take years of searching the junkyards, even back when these cars were plentiful.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 5.0L 305ci TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual, World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by Drew
I'd try pretty hard to avoid doing an interior swap. I've been there, and done that. There were a ton of gray interior cars built. It's by far the most common interior color. Everything else is harder to come by. Black is probably the hardest to find.

Red and Black both tend to fade. Seat belts, seats, will both usually be faded to pink, white, or purple.

The next big issue is that the interiors changed every few years. Different options required different holes or lack of holes in the panels. Little things like the third brake light contacts, rear wiper contact, T-top bag mounts, rear shoulder belts, rear lap belts, etc all result in different parts. Finding a complete set of exactly the correct panels to match the car can be a real pain. When you factor in damaged panels, you're probably not going to find everything you need in one place.

Figure on buying the carpet, headliner, sunvisors, speaker covers, and probably upholstery new. Short of buying NOS seat belts, or aftermarket reproductions, you're left with services that can replace the belt webbing. The rest would have to be found from donor cars. It could take years of searching the junkyards, even back when these cars were plentiful.