Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Need help with interior wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with interior wiring

So i bought a 89 firebird formula. The light on the interior dont work. A few things unplugged and dangling from under the passenger side dash. Need help knowing what they are and what they connect to.
This is from under the console. Right below the shifter and the electric windows buttons.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Need help with interior wiring

Left to right, cruise control, dash speaker RF. The console wire is for the glove box light on the bottom of the shifter plate.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean at all like when you open the doors, or when you turn the dimmer switch to the on position?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jharrison5
When you say it doesn't work, do you mean at all like when you open the doors, or when you turn the dimmer switch to the on position?
Both. The lights don*t turn on at all. When i first got the car they would sometimes turn on. Then they did for a bit. Then now they dont. I was in the car when it stopped. I heard a click sound and they all turned off. Im thinking it had to do something with the wires under the shifter plate in the console. The orange and black one doesn't connect to anything and theres two grounder plugs just dangling around not attached to anything.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Checked the fuses? The orange wire is 12V hot at all times. It runs all over the car for ctsy lights and things like the cigarette lighter. Ground it anywhere and you'll pop the fuse.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
Checked the fuses? The orange wire is 12V hot at all times. It runs all over the car for ctsy lights and things like the cigarette lighter. Ground it anywhere and you'll pop the fuse.
Alright ill check it out. Any chance theres a fuse diagram that tells me which one is which?? Im pretty new to the wiring mechanics
Old 11-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

Well since you didn't specify which lights you're talking about, dome, instrument, etc I'll go with my general idea of what I think is wrong. Check all of the related fuses, the bulbs, and the switches in the doors. If they all seem to be good then I would suspect that your dimmer switch is shot.

The interior lights in my '88 GTA did the exact same thing and when I changed out the dimmer switch everything worked again.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by jharrison5
Well since you didn't specify which lights you're talking about, dome, instrument, etc I'll go with my general idea of what I think is wrong. Check all of the related fuses, the bulbs, and the switches in the doors. If they all seem to be good then I would suspect that your dimmer switch is shot.

The interior lights in my '88 GTA did the exact same thing and when I changed out the dimmer switch everything worked again.
My bad. The dome lights are the ones not working. My instrument lights work fine. And the dimmer does work well. Just the dome lights themselves are not working
Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Mikekatz99
Alright ill check it out. Any chance theres a fuse diagram that tells me which one is which?? Im pretty new to the wiring mechanics
It'll be the one that is black and smoky when you look thru it, with a segment of the element vaporized.

They're labeled right on the fuse block, but different years use different labels. It'll probably say ACC, but just pull em one at a time and look. Or get fancy and use a test light, volt/ohm meter, fuse tester, etc. But pulling them and looking is the time tested, Cletus approved method.