Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Power Window Regulator - Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 v8
Transmission: 700r4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Power Window Regulator - Repair Help

Hello,

I am working on a 91 Firebird Formula and I am certain the regulator is bad (note that this car was in an accident from the previous owner). I just replaced the motor so I know that is not the issue. The window moves up and down, but as it goes up the window rocks and gets jammed on the window triangle seal. When I took a flashlight to the inside and rocked the window side to side, I noticed a lot of play in the middle of the regulator. It looks like there is a square rivit there holding three pieces together, and there is definitely a lot of wiggle room there which I think is causing the issue.

Is there any way to repair this without replacing the entire mechanism? Perhaps take out the rivit and replace with a screw and bolt? I'm not sure.

Also, if there is no way to repair it, would anyone know the part number for a new one? Driver's side, of that needs to be taken into consideration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:42 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 229 Likes on 131 Posts
Car: 84 Z28, 92 C4 suspension F&R, ABS
Engine: 408 LS2, CNC LS3 heads, Comp Cam
Transmission: Magnum F, RTX clutch, Tick shifter
Axle/Gears: DANA 44, Tru Trac, 3:73 gears
Re: Power Window Regulator - Repair Help

My passenger side window did the same thing you described. There is a horizontal track in the center of the door that stabilizes the window and the roller jumped out of the track which caused the window to react like you described. Check this first, the track has to be removed and the roller slid back in then bolted back into place. If this is what you find, you may have to adjust the felt guides on the top of the door to prevent binding which is what caused the roller to jump the track. I hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by soloc4
My passenger side window did the same thing you described. There is a horizontal track in the center of the door that stabilizes the window and the roller jumped out of the track which caused the window to react like you described. Check this first, the track has to be removed and the roller slid back in then bolted back into place. If this is what you find, you may have to adjust the felt guides on the top of the door to prevent binding which is what caused the roller to jump the track. I hope this helps.
I will take a look and see if the roller is off the track, thank you!

Is that square piece in the center a rivit, or is it just a square nut or something? Is there supposed to be a lot of wiggle in that spot? Technically I could remove the panel from the passenger side to check how it's supposed to act, but I just added new weather stripping and can't open the door yet.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by soloc4
I checked and the rollers stay in the track when going both up and down. I did notice the rollers themselves have play/are wiggly. I assume they are nylon so perhaps those are worn out and need replaced? Is it possible to replace regulator rollers?