LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

New Project: Conversion Conversion :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC/05 RX8
Engine: LS1/LS1
Transmission: T56/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 GM/3.55 8.8
New Project: Conversion Conversion :)

Hey Everyone.

My next project will be starting sunday. Im heading up north a bit to pick up a 99 LS1 Block/pistons.For those of you un aware, the LS1 & 5.3L share all parts except for the pistons and block which are smaller bore and iron.

Im going to re-use my rods, crank, valvetrain (custom cam added of course!), oil system etc.

Ill update my progress as it goes, im going to start with cleaning up the LS1 & prepping that block, then aquiring gaskets and parts for assembly, then the 5.3L will be pulled from my iroc for the engine transferro.

Here's my plans for the car during the swap:
-Paint engine bay body colour (I have paint left over)
-Clean up wiring in some way i can. I dislike how half the harness runs down ontop of the intake, so im going to try to do something about it. Id also like to hide the ECM. Wiring may stay, if it does, ive got a plan to hide the ECM.
-Make a new exhaust system: Im planning on fabricating my own headers from scratch. Ive read up on headers that TSP did and talked a fair bit with jason from TSP, im figuring ill do it once and do it right. Id like to make the new headers with 1 7/8" Primary's. Jason has dyno proved that even on a stock motor the 1 7/8" headers add a little, and loose 0 anywhere in the powerband. Im convinced and since im starting from scratch, i might as well.
Ive also read a thread on which someone modified their subframes for exhaust to run beside the auto trans, if i stay auto, im going to look into this, otherwise the plan is true dual 2.5" system back, might go over the axle, havnt got that far yet. Either way im hoping i can pay to fabricate the system by selling my old one. Ill do it all mild steel, but maybe get the headers coated in the future if they work out nice.
-Paint front k-member and suspension components
-New CAI setup, so that it can actually be a CAI setup haha.
-Re-route fuel & brake lines. Im not happy with how they are now. It needs to be adressed.
-Put in an e-brake system.

Thats about my plans. Im going to update with progress and ideas.

Sheldon
----------
For refrence, heres my original swap thread, with all of the 5.3l info.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...to-iroc-z.html

And here's my engine spec:

'99 LS1 block
TR230 cam
Comp 918 Valve springs
LS2 Timing chain
706 Casting heads - minor portwork
1 7/8" LT Headers
LS6 intake
CAI

Last edited by SheldonZ28; 09-12-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: New Project: Conversion Conversion :)

Just a little project........
Will be fun to follow.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC/05 RX8
Engine: LS1/LS1
Transmission: T56/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 GM/3.55 8.8
Re: New Project: Conversion Conversion :)

Thanks!

Decided i didnt want to drive 8 hours to get the block and just chose to have it shipped. Paid & being shipped out tommorow.

Im so excited to build this thing, i kinda want to just take my car off the road early and yank the motor

Ill update with some pictures when my "Crate-o-sex" arrives