LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Project Torched 2.0?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Project Torched 2.0?

So it seems i may have begun to end the life of my lq4 early playing around with my turbo setup.Which at this stage..Im not upset at all. my last track outing I was pushing to make an impressive timeslip which only hurt the car more than my pride. I couldnt beat my best of 12.8@111mph on motor from last year with my current 13.2@121mph with the harshest(in my eyes) 3-2 shift which for sure tapped my topend and suffered damage. My car still runs now and is driveable..somewhat. I have started to blow the rear main seal of the rear main cover seals atleast from crankcase pressure during multiple 14psi boost runs before putting on my MM catch can and vented oil cap.I liked knowing I got 600whp on pump gas with a motor I slapped together as a daily driver with heads/cam then slapped a turbo ontop.I really wanted 500whp out of this setup and got more than I could chew. I had fun..lots of fun in a short period of time..racing vettes..hellcats mustangs locally and the car grew attention as a sleeper.now she smokes under the hood on start up and doesnt want to idle when I come to a stop. I had hoped if I had a full summer of track days and adjusting to the boosted life..i would spend the fall/winter months focusing on other parts of the car such as driveline..I need a better clutch for the power..monster stage 2 or 3, rebuild the rearend..that 9 bolt has seen some serious roll abuse and somehow still going! my t56 needed a rebuild the day I got it...notorious 3rd gear grind . The car itself needs new floors,wanted to make it more pleasureable to drive long distance to some track..my 12yr old eibachs must be shot by now.subframe connectors..bushings and ls1 brakes I have sitting to be put on.

I have contemplated just swapping heads and seeing if the car will survive a while longer and go back out to hurt some feelings and just deal with it leaking oil during a hard pull.But a patch job might buy me a month or 2 before the entire thing back fires on me.So Im calling it now..doing things right this time and do the car built for boosted longevity. I also still miss having bottomend torque for the streets..i cant shake that feeling from my old tpi 383 and the head snap.Call me greedy but I want the best of both worlds lol.

I think a 402/408 refreshed lq4 with my small 78mm turbo will make a nasty summer daily car which should spool much easier.yes it will limit my topend power but I dont think Ill need to rev out to 6700 like I do currently which has its backpressure issues. I think I want a mild motor built,to make a 402 lq4 with a very mild turbo cam, refresh my 243 heads and upgrade the valvetrain with dual springs,ls7 lifters/new pushrods,trunion upgrade and new valves,ls9 gaskets. Keep my ls6 intake and ported throttle body..I think i can get away with 700whp still on pumpgas and be more streetable. My car has started to earn a nickname of the wicked chicken ..I might put that into use after this next phase. Thoughts or recommendations?