LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

I think something's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
I think something's wrong

So I spent the weekend rewrapping my LSx swap harness in techflex to it looks clean. Its a standard 99-02 LS1 f-body engine harness fully integrated by means of 4th gen underhood body wiring and the like.

I depinned the computer and repinned it after wrapping it. My issue is that it won't communicate for some stupid reason and stumbles occasionally in park. It actually stumbled so much, I thought it was going to shut down on its own, so I shut it off. No MIL light for codes, but it turns on when you turn the key on like normal. Not sure if something was pulled loose or what. I did drive it for a short distance and it seemed ok. The darn thing just won't communicate. I have checked all my pins twice, including the sheet that I used to pin everything. Since there is 160 possible spots to put pins, I am going to check it again tomorrow, but can anyone point me in some sort of direction.

What could cause an occasional stumble and no communication. (and the engine seeming like its going to die after about 10 minutes of running in idle park)

I also upgraded my battery cables to 2/0 guage and it seems on the gauge that its charging at 15 volts - if its over-voltage, the pcm would just shut off the alternator - right?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt
Re: I think something's wrong

Did you check your grounds?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:47 PM

Actually I just spent the day going over everything, all pins, all connections and with the aid of a multimeter. I found that everything was the way it should be. I then Proceeded to look at the diagnostic port, I bypassed the one under the dash and got the power and ground from the source(fuse box and chassis).

As it turns out I haves loose connection at the port and therefore wasn't able to read anything. I wiggled the crap out of it and bam it works. As far as it running funny, I deduced that the ECM was learning itself, the air fuel ratio and what not. I also did not plug in the MAF and so that may have contributed to it. I can't understand why it didn't throw a code for it, but it works.

I literally thought I was going nuts and was afraid to take this car anywhere. (Didn't help that this is my daily driver). I hope I don't have to pull this harness anymore, I have done so three times because of wires touching the headers and me catching the issue before it caused problems. Live and learn right.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Alex,

Glad you sorted it. Hopefully you're not like me, and experiencing issues with the wiring degrading. I'm using an original 99 LS1 harness. Ive been chasing gremlins for a while now, and have determined that vibrations/heat must have killed a couple wires. Its either that or my PCM is taking a crap...which is less likely IMO. After pulling my harness, swapping it a couple times, putting it in an environment that it wasn't meant for...i think its taking its toll on the 15 year old wiring. Right now I'm in the middle of re-wiring my #1 coil from the PCM and splices all the way to the coil. What a PITA haha.

J.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Well I kinda spoke to soon haha. I am having some sort of weird issue I didn't experience before. At idle in gear, she likes the ballpark of 400 rpm's. Typically before my little beautification venture she would do 500-525. I get a stumble and shaking. So my first thought is 02 wiring is switched cause it happens in closed loop. I had the exhaust apart recently and noticed when reassembling that water was in the midpipe. The sensors are new. Also I never played with the intake throttle blade setting so I have no idea if me tinkering uncovered a problem or created one. At the same time it's a 5.3 with an ls1 cam and running on a mail order tune. (It ran fine beforehand and I did a continuity test to make sure the pin at the pcm is indeed the same pin at the proper 02 sensor connector. So I'm not sure if the 02's went bad, or if it's something else.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 AM

But I know what you mean about brittle wires. I fried my trans wires and by crank wires twice, luckily I had the pins and proper color wiring to fix it in my wiring box. I am beginning to think maybe my pins have worn themselves out and that I should start replacing them. I'm starting with the injectors and working my way down.