LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Replacing fuel pump for LS1 swap. Have questions about fuel pump and cutting trap doo

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Replacing fuel pump for LS1 swap. Have questions about fuel pump and cutting trap doo

Just kidding about the trap door. Lol
Was going to use the racetronix harness and a walbro 255. I'm unsure about the fuel lines though. I had planned on using the Corvette fpr and mounting in place of the factory filter.
Do I just cut the factory pressure line and flare it for 6an?

I pulled the tank last night and the filler neck is seeping obviously. May just use a 4th gen plastic tank. Undecided
Attached Thumbnails Replacing fuel pump for LS1 swap. Have questions about fuel pump and cutting trap doo-20161221_184957.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 01:20 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
If you use a factory plastic 4th gen f-body LS1 tank, you can use the factory 3rd gen EFI fuel filter. The pressure is regulated by a valve in the return line built into the pick-up unit. You'll need to "T" in the return line somewhere after the filter (up at the engine would give you the best flow throughout the system to keep the fuel as cool as possible - dead-heading allows the fuel to sit in hot areas and pick up heat).

If you stick with a 3rd gen tank, the Vette filter can be put in the factory filter location. You'll have to splice the filter return into the return line at the filter location (the part of the return line between the engine and filter will be eliminated).
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Replacing fuel pump for LS1 swap. Have questions about fuel pump and cutting trap

Originally Posted by five7kid
If you use a factory plastic 4th gen f-body LS1 tank, you can use the factory 3rd gen EFI fuel filter. The pressure is regulated by a valve in the return line built into the pick-up unit. You'll need to "T" in the return line somewhere after the filter (up at the engine would give you the best flow throughout the system to keep the fuel as cool as possible - dead-heading allows the fuel to sit in hot areas and pick up heat).

If you stick with a 3rd gen tank, the Vette filter can be put in the factory filter location. You'll have to splice the filter return into the return line at the filter location (the part of the return line between the engine and filter will be eliminated).
I'm going to use the 3rd gen tank. Having the filler neck repaired and it should be ready today.

How are people connecting steel braided lines to the return on the 3rd gen fuel sender? It has rubber hose with clamp currently. I was going to use an Earls 16x1.5 female to 6an for the supply line to corvette fpr I'm just unsure of the return where it currently doesn't have a fitting
Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Re: Replacing fuel pump for LS1 swap. Have questions about fuel pump and cutting trap

I've flared factory lines. I didn't for the return, though, since it's low pressure.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by five7kid
Actually, if you use the 4th gen plastic tank, you can use the 4th gen lines up to and including the 4th gen fuel filter and the T block on the 4th gen lines screws right into the 3rd gen fuel line. It could't be any better than that unless GM actually planned it that way. You can go with the fuel filter being unsupported, or modify the stock 3rd gen bracket as I am going to do.

Dead heading also keeps the fuel cool in the tank, which is better for emissions. Dead heading on a high flow EFI system isn't really heating the fuel as it doesn't stay there long