LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS1/T56 wiring help (87 iroc 305/t5)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
LS1/T56 wiring help (87 iroc 305/t5)

I am finally at the point of needing to ask for help. I have tried to get as far as I could myself but I am at the point of trying to wrap up this harness as I have been working on it on an off for over a month now.

First off, the car is a 1987 camaro with a 305tpi and a t5. The engine and transmission (LS1/T56) are out of a 2001 Trans Am.

I have the LS1 harness stripped down and regathered to fit the car. I have lengthened all of the sensor wires to go through the fender and into the pass. side under dash area. I have reattached all the pink commons but still need to extend the wires to the third gen harness locations. I have not redone the grounds yet. I am struggling to find the correct connections to the third gen harness (C100, C207 and C221)

Here are the list of questions I have:

The injector fuses are coming from my C221 connector. The fan fuse is also coming from the C221 connector. Positive battery fuse is the inline fuse near the battery which will then be spliced into PCM pin B20 and pin B57. Can I also use this fuse for the fuel pump? On the third gen harness it was used for the ECM and the Fuel Pump but the LS1 is showing separate fuses.

PCM pin B19 is fused at C207 (E) connector. I also need a fuse for LS1 engine sensor fuse for the HO2's, Mass air flow, Skip shift solenoid, and reverse inhibit solenoid. Is there are location on the third gen fuse block I can use for this? Perhaps the GAGES fuse at the C207 (G) can be used for this?

What do I have to do as far as VATS? Everything I find when searching is for disabling it on a car that originally had VATS and since mine did not, I imagine it is a different process. Is it just a matter of programming the PCM to eliminate it or is there wiring / bypass module I need to do to give the PCM a false signal? PCM pin R30 was listed as not needed but it appears to be the anti theft fuel enable and I would think that would need to give a signal to the PCM.

I plan on using the existing 3rd gen fan relays and wiring, all I need is to connect the low speed fan PCM pin B42 to one of the relays and high speed fan PCM pin R33 to the other relay. These are then fused at the C221 connector. The power for the fans are straight from the battery and then gound to the chassis. Will this all work?

I bought the hawks fuel pump kit / harness for the swap and it has a fuel pump relay that mounts near the gas tank, connects to the original connector in front of the gas tank, and then also has wires that run directly to the alternator with a fuse at the alternator. Does this replace the factory third gen fuel pump relay or do I still need that wired for it to work?

That's all of my questions for now, I appreciate any help that I can get. After this harness is done all I have left really is to fab the exhaust. I am really hoping to be done by the beginning of March which is my 30th b-day and I love to be able to drive it then.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: LS1/T56 wiring help (87 iroc 305/t5)

Is it the Racetronix Hotwire kit for the fuel pump? I have that kit and I'm doing an LS swap. I don't see why you would need the factory pump relay. I was looking at running the stock pump power wire directly to the LS pcm and eliminating the relay under the hood. I think the positive wire goes to the racetronix relay at the rear bulkhead so that would let the pcm control the pump. I was wanting to eliminate the jumper wire in the racetronix kit that connects to the pump as well. Would just need to run the fuel level wires to the factory connection in the rear of the car.
Hopefully someone will be able to tell us if that'll work.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42

You mention VATS issues. There are two types, The old one the 3rd gen F bodies had in the dash in later years, And the the kind the LS1 computer has built in. Your car does not have the stock thirdgen kind, it came out in '89
Your LS computer if from a 2001 Trans am ? You will need to get it tuned by someone with a flashing program (HP tuners etc) to turn off the VATS built into it. Also while they are there they can turn off the rear O2's and other emission items that the computer -was- monitoring when it was in its original car. If you get someone who knows what they are doing they can put a performance tune into it as well and pick up a few HP.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5

So I won't have to worry about any wiring to disable VATS, it just gets disabled from the computer. Good to know. As far as the relay for the fuel pump for the racetronix kit, I would think I don't need the stock relay but I'll have to look how the wiring is for that under tank connector to where it merges with the ls1 harness.