LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LT1 swap carbed please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LT1 swap carbed please help.

Needing some info, im from the uk and getting parts here is a knightmare and also very expensive, which is why i have to work with what i have.

I have a 1984 z28 with a carbed 350 sbc in it, with terrible smog heads that u have been trying to replace. but cant get any decent vortecs or otherwise over here.

I have been given an LT1 from a 1997 camaro, and im hoping to replace my SBC with it. I cant get the pcm or wiring so was hoping to carb it with what i have.

hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

1. I dont have aircon in my car so am i right in saying if i get rid of the aircon compressor on the LT1 it will fit straight in? im also running a th350 will it mount straight up to this with the old SBC flex plate?

2: if i get a different intake manifold can i just fit my edelbrook carb and msd distributor?

3:can i use the exhuast manifolds from my SBC?

4: Can i leave the optispark there and will the waterpump on the LT1 plumb up to my radiator etc.

5; can i bolt my harmonic balancer to the LT1 and if so how do i reference the timing.

6: can i fit my sbc power steering pump and alternator to the LT1.

7o i need an electric pump or is there a provision to fit fit the manual pump from the SBC.

Thankyou for your time, i know it would be alot easier to keep the fuel injection etc but its just not possible to get the parts here.

Last edited by draven666; 03-11-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: L31-R 350 w/ EBL P4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: LT1 swap carbed please help.

I know nothing about the LT1 but they do make a carb intake manifold for it it looks like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-24502592/
Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: LT1 swap carbed please help.

Needing some info, im from the uk and getting parts here is a knightmare and also very expensive, which is why i have to work with what i have.

I have a 1984 z28 with a carbed 350 sbc in it, with terrible smog heads that u have been trying to replace. but cant get any decent vortecs or otherwise over here.

I have been given an LT1 from a 1997 camaro, and im hoping to replace my SBC with it. I cant get the pcm or wiring so was hoping to carb it with what i have.

hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

1. I dont have aircon in my car so am i right in saying if i get rid of the aircon compressor on the LT1 it will fit straight in?

You will need to get an AC delete pulley for the LT1 bracket.

im also running a th350 will it mount straight up to this with the old SBC flex plate?

You say you have an 84 350. I'm assuming the engine and trans were swapped at some point since they didn't put a 350 in a F-body in 84, and never used a TH350 trans. If the motor swapped was a 1 piece rear main seal block, then yes your flex plate and torque converter will work and the trans will bolt up fine. If it is a 2 piece rear main seal engine then your flexplate will not bolt up.

2: if i get a different intake manifold can i just fit my edelbrook carb and msd distributor?

Yes. You can also use your intake manifold you have now, you just need to drill new mounting holes for the 2 middle bolts. You may also need to use a different distributor drive gear.

3:can i use the exhuast manifolds from my SBC?

The LT1 has D-port heads, and angled plugs. I know headers will work if you get 1 5/8" or larger, but can't say for sure if regular manifolds will work. I'm thinking no.

4: Can i leave the optispark there and will the waterpump on the LT1 plumb up to my radiator etc.

The opti spark can stay if you like.
The LT1 uses a steam pipe that the 3rd gen radiator does not have a port for. You can either go to a 4th gen radiator or use a junction pipe with a fitting for the steam hose. Some also just block off the steam pipe, but some have said that it causes overheating.

5; can i bolt my harmonic balancer to the LT1 and if so how do i reference the timing.

No. You will need an after market balancer with timing references

6: can i fit my sbc power steering pump and alternator to the LT1.

No. Check out this link, it is everything that is needed to swap. Only the wiring stuff will not apply for your swap.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...questions.html

7o i need an electric pump or is there a provision to fit fit the manual pump from the SBC.

You will need a low pressure electric fuel pump and regulator.

Thankyou for your time, i know it would be alot easier to keep the fuel injection etc but its just not possible to get the parts here.

It will be a lot more work than just getting some heads, and will probably end up costing more in the long run.

But you may be in luck. I have a set of 113 aluminum L98 corvette heads from a 90 C4 with 80k miles on them. I also have some long tube headers for 3rd gen if you're interested. PM me if interested, maybe we could work out a trade for your LT1 engine.

Last edited by mcgarnicle; 03-18-2017 at 07:23 AM.