LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Ls Guru's help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Iroc-z
Engine: 4.8 Ls
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 342 10 bolt
Ls Guru's help please!!!

I have a 4.8 ls that I'm building for my Iroc, I bought an ls2 cam single bolt, I bought the right sprocket, timing chain and cover, and sensor. The problem that is troubling me is my reluctor wheel, I have a 24 tooth wheel, is it true that I need to change this in order for my cam to work with my engine? Thanks guys!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42
Re: Ls Guru's help please!!!

Totally depends on what PCM computer you are going to use to run it.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Originally Posted by 88Greg
Totally depends on what PCM computer you are going to use to run it.
Agreed. They sell various cam gears for either 1x or 4x type cam sensor. Is your cam sensor located at the top rear of the motor? If so, you can ideally run any cam gear you want since it is not being used to detect position. However, if your cam sensor is in the front of the timing cover you need one for 4x cam gear. GM makes both a 3 bolt and single bolt cam gear for 4x sensors.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
Agreed. They sell various cam gears for either 1x or 4x type cam sensor. Is your cam sensor located at the top rear of the motor? If so, you can ideally run any cam gear you want since it is not being used to detect position. However, if your cam sensor is in the front of the timing cover you need one for 4x cam gear. GM makes both a 3 bolt and single bolt cam gear for 4x sensors.
Not entirely true. You can run any cam gear on the front if you have the harness lengthened to attach to the sensor. We're currently running a 24x crank reluctor and 1x cam gear with the cam sensor in the timing cover. The harness was extended to reach and we run a 411 PCM to control the motor.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Originally Posted by Beater79TA
Not entirely true. You can run any cam gear on the front if you have the harness lengthened to attach to the sensor. We're currently running a 24x crank reluctor and 1x cam gear with the cam sensor in the timing cover. The harness was extended to reach and we run a 411 PCM to control the motor.
You are 100% correct, and since most swaps involve some sort of custom wiring, what you mentioned is a great option depending on which set of parts you have. Assuming it's an OEM style harness design, you'll have to be less creative and work with the provisions of the generation block you are working with. In the end, as long as the cam gear and reluctor wheel are matched with the ECM you can have multiple options for sensor location.