LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS1 swap reverse light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
LS1 swap reverse light wiring

Hello,

I did my swap a year or 2 ago and never realized that I didn't have the reverse lights working. Well I failed inspection today because of it so I put it on the lift today and noticed it's not plugged in. I went back to a video that was made by the guy that built the harness and noticed that there isn't any wires for the reverse lights.

For the transmission there is reverse lockout and speedo.

According to the 90-92 C100 pinout C4 and B5 are backup lights. Do I just need to run my own wires to the transmission switch at this point or is it possible to re-purpose the reverse lockout wires? They don't seem to lockout reverse as there is a key-on power going to it.

I bought the harness second-hand on here.

Thanks, Ken
Old 06-01-2017, 11:53 AM

Re: LS1 swap reverse light wiring

Disregard.

I pulled the C100 and have run stand alone wires for the reverse lights. My assumption at this point is that the person this harness was originally intended for was going from an auto to T56 and therefore could use the shifter wires. Wish I would have caught that when everything was going together. Oh well Just gonna add that to the "things I'll change someday" list.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 LS6/T56/9"
Engine: LS6
Axle/Gears: Currie 9"/4.11, detroit truetrac

90-92 interior harnesses I believe are pre-wired with reverse lights going to both the shifter AND C100. At least that's how mine was.

So to make reverse lights work on a T56 swap you simply run C4 and B5 to the reverse light switch.

B5 is power from your back-up fuse, and C4 runs to the reverse light bulbs. running those to the switch on the trans shorts them together thus lighting up the reverse lights.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 AM

Yup that's what I ended up doing. Pulled the C100 from the dash side and de pinned the back up lights and ran them directly to the transmission.

I pulled the shifter plate before anything, but no wires under there except for the SGI box that the previous owner used when he swapped the T5 for a T56.

Thanks, Ken