LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Integrated LS1 Harness kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R
Integrated LS1 Harness kit?

I've seen many places advertise stand-alone kits, 3 wire hookup, yada yada. Does anyone out there make a kit with just the correct colored wires and connectors so you can do it yourself?

I have a high mileage 2000 Camaro harness. It is so stiff and brittle. Just separating the wires gave everything a white stripe.

My plan is to use an LT1 underhood fusebox for the engine, fans (wired up with 3 relays as stock LS1), fuel pump and cruise. 3G interior fuse panel for lights and interior stuff. And one more Little Fuse box for headlight relays. PCM in the stock 3G location. LS1 gauge cluster.

There's a few things I want to do differently than most the stand alone kits, like the location of the fuses and relays not being 18" from the PCM. I also want to get rid of the coil pack disconnect since I don't have stock valve covers, put in a 5 wire MAF, and route the wires thru the 3G hole behind the fender which means adding length over stock.

This is the closest I've found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-LS1-LSX-2...-/222456468398

Last edited by GMan 3MT; 07-20-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans am
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: C4 IRS 3.42
Re: Integrated LS1 Harness kit?

The problem is where to find the multitude of different colour striped wires, In high temp insulation underhood capable wire. The connectors are easier to find as you have seen.
EFI connection has lots of wire colours in different gauges, And will sell in short lengths, But the price adds up quickly.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

Originally Posted by GMan 3MT
My plan is to use an LT1 underhood fusebox for the engine, fans (wired up with 3 relays as stock LS1), fuel pump and cruise. 3G interior fuse panel for lights and interior stuff. And one more Little Fuse box for headlight relays. PCM in the stock 3G location. LS1 gauge cluster.

There's a few things I want to do differently than most the stand alone kits, like the location of the fuses and relays not being 18" from the PCM. I also want to get rid of the coil pack disconnect since I don't have stock valve covers, put in a 5 wire MAF, and route the wires thru the 3G hole behind the fender which means adding length over stock.
I definitely understand what you're after and I went and bought everything I needed do to make my own harness too. I have lots of extra wire I could sell you, along with all the connectors you'd need. I didn't buy all the striped wire though. I just used a marker to put on the black stripe and I used a silver sharpie for "white" tracers. I think I may have had to switch out a color here or there, but overall my harness has all the correct wire colors and sizes as GM used. If you are interested send me a PM
Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

stand alone and rewire ?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42 T2R

Since I'm using so much of the 4th gen stuff, making it a true stand alone doesn't really make sense.

I think what I'll do it use the current harness just to get the project finished, then maybe later see if Painless will sell one of their kits unassembled, or at least the wiring.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

From stand alone your just adding a few more wires etc know a couple that did that way wasn't hard just buy extra wire and connectors and mesh them together and

messing with stock harnesses is definitely a chore with the age melted tap and tar stock harness you still need to mate Thirdgen harness to 4th generation

I've built harness from old stock used all 4th minus smog stuff and had a new harness from pocket and work with standalone I would work with the newer stuff anyday compare to old harness and if I did it again I do standalone and add 3rd gen harness in essence you making a stock harness a standalone to be matted to thirdgeb

Last edited by Zach/90\irocZ; 08-14-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Finding the 3rd gen connectors will be the tough part. Buying short qty of wire in the correct sizes/colors is do-able, but expensive. I use 36 colors in two sizes for a standard PnP

If you're thorough, theres nothing keeping you from using a few colors for the entirety of the harness. Just to throw it out there, a standard PnP going the long path behind the fender consumes approx 1,300' of 18ga wire and around 80' of 12ga. My first three harnesses were all black and still functioned. Its alot of tagging and double checking with a meter, but works. I coughed up the money to order 40,000' of wire in the proper colors after building those. The average DIY guy would never need that much wire and buying it all at the standard 10-15 cents a foot is expensive. Then you've saved, maybe $100 off a new PnP before buying tooling. I cant see this appealing to anyone who isnt looking to learn how to build a harness