Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

Refurbishing my DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: NWC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt posi
Refurbishing my DD

This is my daily driven 92 Camaro RS. I picked her up in 2013 from an older couple who let her sit for about 5 years because the guy couldn't get her to start anymore and couldn't figure out why. After haggling over the price, I talked him down to $1200. It was the Camaro I always wanted in color and with T-tops.

Once I got it home and off the rollback, I started to tinker around with things. I finally traced the problem to the ignition switch at the bottom of the column and $20 later, she fired right up. After almost colliding with tree at the bottom of my driveway, I bled the front brakes and we were away.

My wife and I fell upon hard times for a while and for a good year of that time, she was our only mode of transportation. In late 2014, I lost my drivers license due to child support issues, so she sat in the driveway for over a year and a half, waiting for me to get my act together. I'd go fire her up and move her up and down the driveway to keep things lubed up but that's all I could do.

Finally in September of this past year (2016), I was finally able to put her back into service. The joy this car brings me has no words and now I'm ready to make this old, tired girl into the car I know she can be.

On the slate is a 350 with vortec heads, complete interior redo, and straightening of the body panels to prep it for paint. Being on the cheaper side of things, I'm probably gonna put her in primer and plastidip her and then save money for a proper paint job. Excited to share with my community.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 751 Likes on 577 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open
Re: Refurbishing my DD

Nice! I love those teal cars also.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I've always liked the teal too. Never been a fan of plastidip. It looks like....plastidip. .....if you're on a budget, how about trying to paint it yourself? Nothing like learning as you go! .....average to "ok" paint is better than perfect plastidip.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: NWC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt posi

I've painted a couple of beaters before and the finish I'm trying to obtain is a bit expensive on materials for my current budget. I'm figuring if I plastidip it in the color I'm looking for, it'll protect my metal and in a couple years once my funds are straight, I can peel it off and shoot it in my dream color, a dark teal pearl.

I picked up a parts car a couple months back for its sheet metal. My current car has the outer panel splitting from the shell of the door, massive dents in the crash bar on the other door, and a severely dented hood above the driver's side headlights. So the body parts are well worth the swap.

​​​​​​