Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

1986 camaro 2.8l Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: camaro
Engine: 2.8l
Transmission: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4-151 2.5L 7
1986 camaro 2.8l Indiana

I have this camaro got it in a trade with intentions on selling but had to replace the trans. Since replacing the trans which was costly Now the trans is leaking from the front seal i believe and the damn valve cover gasket has a little leak plus the starter has short in a wire and it needs a battery. Im not a mechanic but i know a guy. Its starting to just cost me money. Figured id find a forum and ask for advice on what i should do? I have considered just getting these issues fixed but its still a 2.8l no one wants. I also considered a engine swap but im not sure if its even worth the trouble? What do you fellas suggest?
Old 10-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
Re: 1986 camaro 2.8l Indiana

If you aren't handy with tools, any 1986 car will bring you nothing but heartache and poverty if you are paying shop rates for labor - assuming you can find anybody even willing to work on it.

And that's before you start paying for parts.

Most competent shops want NOTHING to do with thirty-year-old cars with driveability issues or motor/transmission leaks. Very hard to take apart a car that old, and not break three more things in the process. The incompetent shops will take the job, and mess everything up, leaving you to rue the day you even thought about letting them touch your car.

You do this because you love it, or you move on. That's just the way it is.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: camaro
Engine: 2.8l
Transmission: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 4-151 2.5L 7
Re: 1986 camaro 2.8l Indiana

Damn, well i guess i better start loving it i dont want this to be a waste. As far as the engine swap goes from the v6 to the v8 what would be the simplest cheaper route to take. I guess i mean without modifying the car for parts to mesh. I have read a little about carb. Vs tpi engines. Any input?