NW Indiana and South Chicago Suburb Looking for club members to have gatherings, cruises, and to help each other out.

Chicagoland OBD-1 Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (G92 package)
Chicagoland OBD-1 Tuners?

Hi Everyone,

Anyone know someone who has the equipment to burn me a PROM? My friend had a falling out with someone who had the knowledge and equipment. I'd like to tune my car. I'm not looking for a slap-on chip. I want my car tuned just like at a speed shop.

Kent
Old 06-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
Re: Chicagoland OBD-1 Tuners?

I can, Jeremy out of South Bend can.

Ideally you want someone who can get it on a dyno and work on timing and fuel and idle.

Then go thru the motions on the street and datalogging to clean up issues that always tend to occur.

I have zero time for my own projects let alone anyone else's.

FYI is you call around for anything involving a chip no one in the area will touch it.

If I was doing it all over again I would look at RBobs stuff. Best stuff out there is using stock style ecm hands down.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM
I can, Jeremy out of South Bend can.

Ideally you want someone who can get it on a dyno and work on timing and fuel and idle.

Then go thru the motions on the street and datalogging to clean up issues that always tend to occur.

I have zero time for my own projects let alone anyone else's.

FYI is you call around for anything involving a chip no one in the area will touch it.

If I was doing it all over again I would look at RBobs stuff. Best stuff out there is using stock style ecm hands down.
Thanks for replying man. You kind of guys are few and far between. And I hear ya on the time thing... I just had a daughter so none of this will be happening anytime soon.

I could probably spend a good year of studying and learn how to do this on my own.

Right now I have the stock ECM and stock chip... have a hypertech superchip laying around somewhere that I took out because... just because... LOL

I have friends in Hammond and Crown Point so if you're ever willing to meet up sometime and check out my ride, holler at me.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS, 05 GTO (sold), 10 TL AWD
Engine: 383 HSR w/DSC1
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60/3.73

Modern Muscle did some tuning for my car back when it had a 730 ecm. I had to loan him my Moates chip burner to do it, but they got it done. Might contact them and see if they would do that again. Then again, the holley efi setup or something similar might just be easier to learn and worth the investment for future mods if you intend to stay SBC with fuel injection. The holley HP setup I have is real nice to work with
Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

antique thread I know, but I'm in South Bend and I can do it as 3.8TransAm mentioned. Drop me a PM if you need help.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Hey 1MeanZ... I will remember you and hit you up maybe sometime next year. Car is in storage for now. I got all the equipment to do my own tuning and eventually gave up. I could get tunerpro to get any readings when I had my laptop plugged into the ALDL port. Apparently the 87 ecm is a pain the in ***. Even bought another used one to see if that would change my result but it did nothing. Hope things are well.

Kent
Old 10-05-2018, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

I've had a similar problem with Chazman's IROC convertible. His car is the only one I've not been able to talk to with my laptop for some reason. Haven't spent tons of time figuring out why though, his car is stock so I just burned a chip for it anyway.