Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Weather stations...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 406
Transmission: TH350, 4200
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3.89
Weather stations...

What are you guys using at what comes highly reccomended?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I got an Altronics for Xmas '03. I think you know the outcome of the '04 season. I had been "borrowing" data from a few other racers in years past who were also using Altronics - nothing like having your own.

I've seen some Tag units around, but don't know specifics of the pros/cons vs. the Altronics.

I do know if you expect contingency money from Altronics, you have to "register" with them. Requires the sales receipt. Mine was a gift. There is one thing I'm not too happy about with Altronics.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:30 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich
It's very nice to have your own so keep track of data for comparison, but weather stations are like air pressure guages, so long as you use only one and stick with that data you have no worries. Out of all the weather stations floating around our immediate pit area there are never 2 that read the same, in fact another radcer and I have the same one bought within 1 week of each other and even they read differently. We've found with ours the BP is off just a little bit it throws everything off big time.

Mine was only about $350 so it's on the low end of cost, but it gives me the essentials of baramotric pressure, temp., humidty, sun exposure, density altitude, battery life and a couple other things that I dont pay attention to. I wish it had the wind speed meter, but I've found just watching the flags and how they act round to round will give a better idea of how much to dial up or down before a run since it can change in an instant.

No sense in spending more than you have to for basic information, anything is better than nothing and once you start corolatting numbers it will help you dial in tighter. But if you got the cash, go for the all out pager system that pages you when something changes and get an ET predictor as well. Crew Cheif systems are supposed to have some VERY predictable software that guys swear by.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Elcheap'o digital thermometer and humidity from local hardware store. I use one of these for my altimeter/barometer http://www.freshtracksmaps.com/suuntoe203.htm I should have bought the version with the wind speed meter in it.

I take all the results and enter them into my laptop which has a bunch of custom made spreadsheets that I worked up years ago. All the prediction formulas are on the web but you need to know how to interpret and recalculate the results. My laptop results are just as good as the weather stations but not as easy to enter the data. It took me about 2 years to find and recalculate all the formulas I found on the web before I finally got the results I wanted.

Like IHI said, each one will give different results. If you're always getting weather conditions from one person and they don't show up one week, don't expect similar results from someone else's weather station.

Two Altronics side by side will give different readings.