Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Stupid racing harness question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 92 CAMARO RALLY SPORT
Engine: 383 sbc w/250 shot of nitrous
Transmission: AMERICAN POWERTRAIN- EXTREME TKX
Axle/Gears: STRANGE ENG. 12 BOLT 3:90 SPOOL
Stupid racing harness question

Ok so I failed Tech at local race track due to seat belts... shoulder straps being wrapped around roll cage bar.. inspector said I have to weld tabs to the roll cage and bolt belts in . I have wrapped belts for last 15 years never had an issue some new rule ?? belts are with in date just made in June this year
The lap & submarine parts are bolted to the floor..
Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro Z28
Engine: 584
Transmission: TSI Glide
Axle/Gears: Quick performance 9 inch
Re: Stupid racing harness question

I welded a plate that the seatbelt threads thru I will try to dig up a pic. Never been hit it.

Course the last tech guy said hey you know you only got until sept on these belts........ I said yes sept but not this sept. You mean next year. Showed him the punch date lol
Old 08-15-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

It's sort of a gray area in the rules. Technically, the belts need to be secured so that they can not move on the crossbar. The only rule I see about wrap around belts is that they can not be wrapped around a lower frame tube (tube chassis type construction). If properly installed and the shoulder belts are pulled tight, there should be no way the belts should be able to move on the crossbar anyway.

When using a wrap around style, the belts can easily slip on the tube. Weld on tabs which the belts can bolt to is the best option however all you need to do is prevent the belts from slipping on the tube. My belts are bolted in and I have the tabs on the crossbar pointing backwards.

Many years ago, I had a similar setup because it was the easiest way to do it. A simple hose clamp around the bar on both sides of the belts technically could pass tech. Muffler clamps would be better since it would be much more difficult for the belts to go over the clamp. Third option is to weld some 1/4" round stock over the looped belts which would prevent them from going anywhere.

As for the date code. 5 point harness type belts, when required, are legal for 2 years from the date stamped on the tag. If however you have a 13 second car and have a simple 6 point roll bar, you can run expired belts since you don't technically need the roll bar or a 5 point belt until you hit 11.50.

I sell off my belts every 2 years to help pay the cost for new belts.

The next time you are at the track and they think your wrap around belts are not legal, ask to see the specific rule. Tech inspectors are required to have the rulebook available. Something that may seem to be against the rules may not be if there's no rule saying you can't do that.

Last edited by AlkyIROC; 08-15-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:31 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
It's sort of a gray area in the rules. Technically, the belts need to be secured so that they can not move on the crossbar. The only rule I see about wrap around belts is that they can not be wrapped around a lower frame tube (tube chassis type construction). If properly installed and the shoulder belts are pulled tight, there should be no way the belts should be able to move on the crossbar anyway.

When using a wrap around style, the belts can easily slip on the tube. Weld on tabs which the belts can bolt to is the best option however all you need to do is prevent the belts from slipping on the tube. My belts are bolted in and I have the tabs on the crossbar pointing backwards.

Many years ago, I had a similar setup because it was the easiest way to do it. A simple hose clamp around the bar on both sides of the belts technically could pass tech. Muffler clamps would be better since it would be much more difficult for the belts to go over the clamp. Third option is to weld some 1/4" round stock over the looped belts which would prevent them from going anywhere.

As for the date code. 5 point harness type belts, when required, are legal for 2 years from the date stamped on the tag. If however you have a 13 second car and have a simple 6 point roll bar, you can run expired belts since you don't technically need the roll bar or a 5 point belt until you hit 11.50.

I sell off my belts every 2 years to help pay the cost for new belts.

The next time you are at the track and they think your wrap around belts are not legal, ask to see the specific rule. Tech inspectors are required to have the rulebook available. Something that may seem to be against the rules may not be if there's no rule saying you can't do that.
Thanks for the great information guess I should just buy a NHRA rule book My car is running low eleven second times was hoping to break into the 10:9xx this past week end
this has was the only time was able to get out this year .. track was happy to take my money but came up with what ever they could to prevent us from running ..
guess if I spend $10 on a rule book I would be in the know

thanks again
CG
Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

you can also go to any hardware store. pick up some 1/4wide steel. 25" or 30" long.no ya don't need it that long..thats how they sell it..cut it to 4 1/2 inch strips.. put in your vise. and bend it. so you have tabs at both ends and a 3" wide bridge over you belts. I drill small holes in the tabs on ea end..to put my bead in(weld)

you can then just tack them in place.. this can be done even with the cheapest of welders.
one over ea belt loop on the lower back of the tube...

Last edited by articwhiteZ; 08-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:02 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by articwhiteZ
you can also go to any hardware store. pick up some 1/4wide steel. 25" or 30" long.no ya don't need it that long..thats how they sell it..cut it to 4 1/2 inch strips.. put in your vise. and bend it. so you have tabs at both ends and a 3" wide bridge over you belts. I drill small holes in the tabs on ea end..to put my bead in(weld)

you can then just tack them in place.. this can be done even with the cheapest of welders.
one over ea belt loop on the lower back of the tube...
Appreciate the advice do you have a picture of this set up ??
I only have a POS. 115 volt 90amp flux core welder so this could work

Thanks,
CG
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

ill have to get some pics.. I don't have any.. and yes the welder you have should work just fine...always make them just a tad bigger then they need to be...make a test set..you will see...