Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Just wondering....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering....

Anyone think it'd be possible to make about 1000 streetable realwheel horsepower out of a twin turbo 383? Purely a theoretical question, ya know, just in case I hit the lottery while it's at 52 million....
Old 09-11-2000, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2000 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Yes if you used the correct heads and cam.

Bob Reiger races the NMCA with a 380 small block and twin turbos. He has dipped into the 6.50's @ 200+ mph. It is EFI. That is A LOT of horsepower.

------------------
-86 IROC
Vortech stuffed EFI 406 in progress
Old 09-11-2000, 10:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am starting to embark down this very road. I don't have goals for 1000 HP, but my 383 should be done in the next couple of weeks. It's a roller converted block that is actually .040" over, forged pistons, Sportsman II heads that are ported and polished, yada yada yada. I have two turbochargers out of an '88 TBird and a huge @ss intercooler from a Volvo on the way. The 383 is going to be set up for twin Holley TBI's using a Haltech to control the whole thing. We'll see how it goes.

Steve "Gotta call Andris..." Cauffiel
Old 09-11-2000, 11:31 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
Ya rang? I think the T-bird turbos might be a bit small. The choice of turbos really affects the performance of the engine and how the turbos relate. The setup I have has relatively small exhaust housing for instant boost (full boost at 2000 rpm) but a decently sized intake compressor (for the volume of air a 355 will suck down at 7000 rpms). If ya want to experiment, I'll be the first to suggest that. Ultimate performance comes from the right combination of parts.

There are two ways - experiment, save lots of $$$, spend 4x the amount if time, and have a neat, hacked together setup. Or... toss money at it to buy the latest high buck parts and fabricators. Or... spend just as much time researching to do a good compromise on a budget. This project will take many 10's if not hundreds of hours just to plan and engineer the setup... Keep us updated please

------------------
Andris Skulte
Skulte Performance Designs
Z28tt-89 IROC T56 DFI Twin Turbo
http://www.skulte.com