Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Looking to add a pro charger, need help with set up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Heritage edition Z28
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 4L60 700R4
Looking to add a pro charger, need help with set up.

I have decided to go another direction with my build. I have decided to add a supercharger. What should I look for, anyone have any preferences?

What do I need to do to my engine. I know I need different pistons. I have a set of hyperutectic in the block right now, but I am going to remove them and go with a forged set. Should I use a stud kit for the heads? What should I do for injectors? This is going to be a long term project.

Please any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
Re: Looking to add a pro charger, need help with set up.

Originally Posted by zk25thz28
I have decided to go another direction with my build. I have decided to add a supercharger. What should I look for, anyone have any preferences?

What do I need to do to my engine. I know I need different pistons. I have a set of hyperutectic in the block right now, but I am going to remove them and go with a forged set. Should I use a stud kit for the heads? What should I do for injectors? This is going to be a long term project.

Please any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach
well, as with all builds......you're best off building for what you really want.....overbuild it so you have someplace to go in the future....because xxxhp is never enough.

Definitely get a good set of head studs, JE makes a special heavy duty forged piston just for blower applications......i'd call them directly and get the part numbers you need.

prochargers consistantly make more power then other centrifugals blowers but also tend to be a little more finnicky with maintenance from time to time.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Heritage edition Z28
Engine: 5.7 L98
Transmission: 4L60 700R4
Re: Looking to add a pro charger, need help with set up.

Here is what I have as far as a set up right now. Edelbrock aluminum RPM heads, stock crank, stock shot peened rods (rotating assembly was balanced), LT4 hot cam, and the engine is bored .030 over. It does have hyperutectic pistons, but I know that I'm going to have to change them. This is a new setup and has never been run yet. I had a Holley Stealth ram, but I want to go with a TPIS Mini Ram. Not only for more flow, but I wanted to keep my strut tower brace. I am also going to run long tube headers. I want no less than 400 hp to the ground. I am tired of people up here looking down on 3rd gens. There is no one here I trust to tune it, so I'm going to have to do that myself too. I need all the info you guys can give me. I haven't driven my car for about 5 years so I am not afraid to wait to get it to where I want.
I want as much info as I can get, from injectors, to the fuel pump, rockers, everything. I WILL NOT HALF *** MY CAR.

I greatly appreciate the help. and all the info you guys can give me.