Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Turbo Iroc - Round Four (Edit: Staying Gen1, new PT7675, heads, intake)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: Turbocharged 5.7 Pro-Fl-XT
Transmission: 700R4 for moment
Axle/Gears: 3.25 9 inch
Re: Turbo Iroc - Round Four (Edit: Staying Gen1, new PT7675, heads, intake)

I used three winch straps to pull the wall about half way in. It's still hanging out at the peak about 1", just enough for the upcoming rain to get into the wall. I don't care. I will replace the plywood later when I tear the wall down. At least it won't fall now, unless this next tropical system coming from Mexico stirs up any wind of significance.

Definitely shell shocked here. Pretty much everything I've worked towards doings here has been destroyed. Instead of a park like lot with barns for my toys, I now have one of two barns destroyed, one severely damaged, all but four trees down, a damaged house that isn't ready for another blow and two broken RVs. I am seriously looking at my entire path here and trying to decide which direction to go. I like the paid for house path, but somewhere along the way I got away from my original mission, which was to set myself up in a hurricane proof structure. I was fortunate, in that my house ultimately survived in a situation where so many failed. Every single day I talk to someone where their parents' house, brothers house, in-laws house or the like was destroyed. My neighbor has 9 rentals (one if a quadplex). He lost 5 properties. FIVE our of nine totally destroyed. Others unlivable. He said he has lost 75% of his income. My other neighbor lost his automotive shop. Nearly every automotive shop on the eastern half of the county was several damaged or leveled (gotta love those bay doors). No insurance because the insurance company kept cinching down on the requirements until he couldn't insure it a couple of years ago.

This brings me all the way back to Hurricane Ivan 2004 where reality hit home. I was now a homeowner and the risk and peril of these storms was all too real. People were complacent. I sold my house and bought five miles further inland in 2006. Well now the big one finally hit and the old house actually held up better than expected, but there was no surge due to the eye hitting slightly east. Had it been slightly west, a whole different story for Panama City and especially for that neighborhood. The house I bought in 2006 actually took a lot of damage because it was in the eyewall just like the house I'm in now. Anyway in 2004 when Ivan hit, I became highly interested in Hurricanes/Tornados and set about on a mission to build an ICF house in the future. Once I bought this house 17 miles inland in 2015, I got a little complacent and started spending ICF house money on the dream shop and then a pole barn for the RV etc. So now I have to consider my next steps. Selling all and pooling my cash to build an ICF house or put on some bandaids and keep living the life on the gamble it won't all blow away with the next big storm. One thing is certain, I won't be putting up any more "140 mph Pole Barns".

Last edited by ZZ3Astro; 10-23-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:49 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

Originally Posted by ZZ3Astro
I used three winch straps to pull the wall about half way in. It's still hanging out at the peak about 1", just enough for the upcoming rain to get into the wall. I don't care. I will replace the plywood later when I tear the wall down. At least it won't fall now, unless this next tropical system coming from Mexico stirs up any wind of significance.

Definitely shell shocked here. Pretty much everything I've worked towards doings here has been destroyed. Instead of a park like lot with barns for my toys, I now have one of two barns destroyed, one severely damaged, all but four trees down, a damaged house that isn't ready for another blow and two broken RVs. I am seriously looking at my entire path here and trying to decide which direction to go. I like the paid for house path, but somewhere along the way I got away from my original mission, which was to set myself up in a hurricane proof structure. I was fortunate, in that my house ultimately survived in a situation where so many failed. Every single day I talk to someone where their parents' house, brothers house, in-laws house or the like was destroyed. My neighbor has 9 rentals (one if a quadplex). He lost 5 properties. FIVE our of nine totally destroyed. Others unlivable. He said he has lost 75% of his income. My other neighbor lost his automotive shop. Nearly every automotive shop on the eastern half of the county was several damaged or leveled (gotta love those bay doors). No insurance because the insurance company kept cinching down on the requirements until he couldn't insure it a couple of years ago.

This brings me all the way back to Hurricane Ivan 2004 where reality hit home. I was now a homeowner and the risk and peril of these storms was all too real. People were complacent. I sold my house and bought five miles further inland in 2006. Well now the big one finally hit and the old house actually held up better than expected, but there was no surge due to the eye hitting slightly east. Had it been slightly west, a whole different story for Panama City and especially for that neighborhood. The house I bought in 2006 actually took a lot of damage because it was in the eyewall just like the house I'm in now. Anyway in 2004 when Ivan hit, I became highly interested in Hurricanes/Tornados and set about on a mission to build an ICF house in the future. Once I bought this house 17 miles inland in 2015, I got a little complacent and started spending ICF house money on the dream shop and then a pole barn for the RV etc. So now I have to consider my next steps. Selling all and pooling my cash to build an ICF house or put on some bandaids and keep living the life on the gamble it won't all blow away with the next big storm. One thing is certain, I won't be putting up any more "140 mph Pole Barns".

What keeps you tied to that region ?

-- Joe
Old 10-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Supreme Member

My biggest client. Can't walk away from that one but I am working to expand the business to other cities down the caost. I am no longer tied to daily operations so I can (and likely will) relocate but still need to remain within 1-2 hours distance. I am very seriously considering relocation now because everywhere I normally interact with the city is completely devastated. I am not convenient to the west end (beaches) which was untouched. Many places that I've gone to for my whole life have decided not to rebuild. Several people I know have already left the state. If this leftist wins the Gov race in Florida I will be out, so that might be the straw to break the camel's back.

Steve
Old 10-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r4

What kind of work do you do?
Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

I run an MSP taking care of servers, end user support etc. We were on track to 10 employees by the end of this year but slightly derailed at the moment. A lot of potential to grow quickly with the rebuild as many people will be needed to accomplish it, but right now everyone here is shell shocked for the short term.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:45 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

I run an MSP taking care of servers, end user support etc. We were on track to 10 employees by the end of this year but slightly derailed at the moment. A lot of potential to grow quickly with the rebuild as many people will be needed to accomplish it, but right now everyone here is shell shocked for the short term.
I just took a new job with a global company as their Director of R&D / Innovations. They actually acquired my whole team. They've been buying MSP's all over the country this past year too. Managed services and cloud computing is where it's at. It only took 30 years for people to get back to essentially what is a mainframe and thin client lol.

-- Joe
Old 10-28-2018, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

I'm hoping to sell my operation some day. It's not easy to do this without the support of a larger corporation. Modern HR laws alone make it a daunting task at times. Maybe in a few years something will come along and help me retire!
Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 AM
Supreme Member

Well the election determined I have the option to stay in Florida. I'm kicking around a number of ideas but it looks like I am going to press to sell this property and relocate to somewhere else in the area. Probably will stay within 1-2 hours of here. Unless I can quickly find a perfect property that already has some kind of building, I'm going to get rid of most of my vehicles. GTR is definitely first on the list. The IROC is a possibility as is the 49. I like the 49 a lot, but the Iroc runs. Neither costs much to keep other than finding a roof for them. Anyway I am just not dealing well with the situation on the ground. Driving to town for any reason is the devil. Just trying to go get lunch can easily be a two hour affair and dinner is worse. I have no internet options here for a while, possibly months according to the only provider (Mediacom). Running an IT business without Internet is a problem. I do have an ATT hotspot but it isn't the most practical solution and has limitations of speed and data totals. The other problem is mom, who is transitioning to assisted living/nursing care and has been relocated 8 hours away. I can't leave her that far away but most of those places here have been severely damaged and closed. That alone justifies relocating to somewhere with working hospitals and a place for her. I am thinking about just renting something for six months in an unaffected area nearby. Then I can decide on fix and return or fix and sell. Renting and selling presents a huge issue with the cars so the less I have, the better.

Obviously no news on the car scene, other than we have power and the lift works again. Can't drive any of them due to nails and screws everywhere in the roads. Already having to put plugs in the other vehicles.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Well the election determined I have the option to stay in Florida. I'm kicking around a number of ideas but it looks like I am going to press to sell this property and relocate to somewhere else in the area. Probably will stay within 1-2 hours of here. Unless I can quickly find a perfect property that already has some kind of building, I'm going to get rid of most of my vehicles. GTR is definitely first on the list. The IROC is a possibility as is the 49. I like the 49 a lot, but the Iroc runs. Neither costs much to keep other than finding a roof for them. Anyway I am just not dealing well with the situation on the ground. Driving to town for any reason is the devil. Just trying to go get lunch can easily be a two hour affair and dinner is worse. I have no internet options here for a while, possibly months according to the only provider (Mediacom). Running an IT business without Internet is a problem. I do have an ATT hotspot but it isn't the most practical solution and has limitations of speed and data totals. The other problem is mom, who is transitioning to assisted living/nursing care and has been relocated 8 hours away. I can't leave her that far away but most of those places here have been severely damaged and closed. That alone justifies relocating to somewhere with working hospitals and a place for her. I am thinking about just renting something for six months in an unaffected area nearby. Then I can decide on fix and return or fix and sell. Renting and selling presents a huge issue with the cars so the less I have, the better.

Obviously no news on the car scene, other than we have power and the lift works again. Can't drive any of them due to nails and screws everywhere in the roads. Already having to put plugs in the other vehicles.
Thankfully this "blue wave" wasn't as bad as the media suggested it would be. Still unfortunate. In my state Democrats took control of both houses, yet we retained out Republican governor. I'm sure a rash of bills will now be produced trying to reduce gun rights, give free stuff to illegals, and economy-destroying environmental regulations. Hopefully he has the guts to veto nonsense.

I like Florida, but it's just too hot man. Plus I like Snowmobiling.

But we shall see. I moved out of Massachusetts a decade ago to get away from the commies. Now they are following me into New Hampshire.

-- Joe
Old 11-08-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 86' IROC
Engine: Supercharged 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by anesthes
Thankfully this "blue wave" wasn't as bad as the media suggested it would be. Still unfortunate. In my state Democrats took control of both houses, yet we retained out Republican governor. I'm sure a rash of bills will now be produced trying to reduce gun rights, give free stuff to illegals, and economy-destroying environmental regulations. Hopefully he has the guts to veto nonsense.

But we shall see. I moved out of Massachusetts a decade ago to get away from the commies. Now they are following me into New Hampshire.

-- Joe
Healy and Warren got re elected in Mass. Just about had it with this BS state. Dad lives in maine now just over the NH border and thats looking pretty good dispite lack of work and lower wages.Even if its only to get my foot in the door.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

-- Joe
The yankees flee their ruined states and head for the south. they get down here, call us stupid, and try to bring their liberal bs down here.
can anyone explain this please?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:31 AM
Supreme Member

Well said.. We. Are. Screwed.

Now it looks like Florida is being contested. Might not be out of the woods after-all with the governor election. Alabama state income tax might not be so bad after all. At least insurance is cheaper there!
Old 11-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Supreme Member

voter fraud. they have "found" nearly 100k ballots now oddly enough all of them in favor of democrats. this is not the first time this has happened in Broward County, and THE SAME PEOPLE ARE STILL IN CHARGE OF THE VOTING down there. they should be in prison!!!

you can rest assured it has happened in other parts of the US as well. 3rd world country here we come.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:03 PM
Supreme Member

Took a guy I hired to clear trees for a ride in the Iroc tonight.. it really likes this cool fall air. Fishtailing the ET Streets at 60 mph, between the piles of debris on both sides of the road! Not much room for error - hope I didn't pick up any nails!
Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Took a guy I hired to clear trees for a ride in the Iroc tonight.. it really likes this cool fall air. Fishtailing the ET Streets at 60 mph, between the piles of debris on both sides of the road! Not much room for error - hope I didn't pick up any nails!
I put mine in the enclosed trailer a few weeks ago, and tossed in a bunch of bars of Irish Spring soap to hopefully keep the rodents out. It's been snowing on and off for weeks.

-- Joe
Old 01-09-2019, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Finally drove the Iroc to relieve some hurricane stress. I took it for a long tuning drive and ended up losing another header gasket towards the end of the drive. It did not have a massive backfire like it did when I had the burned plugwire, but it did act very lean at one point in boost and broke up for a second. Shortly there-after I heard a ticking and soon it was a full blown gasket leak. Pun intended! Anyway I'm not only tired of dealing with this new issue with blowing header gaskets, but the engine itself is tired. Oil pressure is stupid low at hot idle 8-10 psi and I can smell the tiredness in the exhaust.

The writing has been on the wall for some time and I should have gone LS before this latest revision with the Pro-Flo intake. It's a nice looking setup now but I'm snake-bitten with this gen1 stuff at this point. If I throw a stock 5.3 with a cam, gapped rings and my 76 turbo and it runs like crap, I will just retire from the car hobby. Will be a while before I can do the 5.3 because I am considering moving. Once I move, or decided to stay here, I will knock the swap out pretty quickly. I will make the 4L80 changeover at that time along with the 9 inch.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:37 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: GEN 4 LY6 (going forged 408)
Transmission: 60E (going RPM LEVEL 6 4L80E)
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 3.42 (staying...)

dang
Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 PM
Supreme Member

Took the first step today.. ran my first post listing my gen 1 parts I'm getting rid of. I'm not keeping an engine or anything related to gen 1. I want it all out of the way. I also stopped by to talk to my former neighbor to talk about an L33 he has been trying to sell me for years. He wasn't home. If he still has it I'm going to buy it and start collecting everything I need. I still need to get the 49 rolling on the new front end and get the 4200 fully mounted, and then I need to drop the GT-R trans to replace the front wheel drive unit, so it will be a bit before I can do the 5.3.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 V-8 (for now ;) )
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock... whatever that means :)

Took the first step today.. ran my first post listing my gen 1 parts I'm getting rid of. I'm not keeping an engine or anything related to gen 1. I want it all out of the way. I also stopped by to talk to my former neighbor to talk about an L33 he has been trying to sell me for years. He wasn't home. If he still has it I'm going to buy it and start collecting everything I need. I still need to get the 49 rolling on the new front end and get the 4200 fully mounted, and then I need to drop the GT-R trans to replace the front wheel drive unit, so it will be a bit before I can do the 5.3.
Welcome to the dark side. Actually its the brighter side. Im super effin happy with my G8, That big 4000 pound sled moves out. I tuned it myself. I was gonna turbo my RS but Im going to do a NA 6.0 with square port heads. I already have heads, ECM and a wiring harness. I just want to get the swap out of the way. I can turbo it later.

HP Tuners is pretty simple. Unless you want to keep your aftermarket stuff. I know I can make an EASY 450 RWHP NA. That will be fun to play with until I get ready to boost it.

Again, welcome. You wont be disappointed. 600-700 RWHP is EASY with the LS motors. I would skip the 5.3 and go straight to the 6.0 with L92 or LS3 heads. Only because of the 4 in bore. The L92 and LS3 heads flow way better and have the bigger intake valves. Get a 2005 LQ4 (Gen 4 rods and pistons... stronger). Intake valley bolts are 13mm. If they are 10mm, it has Gen 3 rods and pistons (weaker).
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Took the first step today.. ran my first post listing my gen 1 parts I'm getting rid of.
Where?

-- Joe
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Took the first step today.. ran my first post listing my gen 1 parts I'm getting rid of. I'm not keeping an engine or anything related to gen 1. I want it all out of the way.
Does this include the air conditioning, saying adios to the cool air lol...?

- Rob
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

Nooooo AC must be a part of the setup. Currently my dryer/filter O-rings are cooked out thanks to the upturned passenger side turbo header, but when I make this change I will be redoing the AC system. I just posted the parts to my FB friends for first dibs. Official posting soon!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Cant say i am surprised after all the troubles you had. Trying to make big power on a tired old motor with a possible mechanical and or tune related issue will lead to troubles. An ls wont change that lol but hopefully a fresh ls works better for you
Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

You could say I am snake bitten with this entire setup now. And the bigger issue is I'm coming to a crossroads on the platform. I am tired of cooking things with all of this exhaust tubing. I'm SICK of long plug wires that always find a way to get burned. And most of all its just time for a change of scenery. If I try again to get this gen1 right, I'm looking at the same old platform that has given me so much heartache over these years. I also like the idea of no more external crank trigger, which just seems ready to grab a wayward hose or wire and ruin my week some day.

Back to those long plugwires.. they run ziptied together for 2-3 feet on each side. I'm starting to wonder if that isn't contributing to this new backfire nonsense. In any case, I'm not going to try any more on gen 1. That is settled. Many seem upset when I talk of getting rid of the car, so LS it is. I even looked at Gen V LT, but I don't think its ready for prime time yet on turbo swaps. It would be cool though! I'm just tired of blazing new (old) trails and going to follow the crowd to see how the other 3/4ths live for once.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

What will change with the ls? If everything is up front, what makes you think you wont have same issues such as burning wires and such?

I would consider a rear mount at this point
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Supreme Member

No more upturned tubular turbo header and merge pipe. Short plug wires with the hooker cast manifolds (no more blown header gaskets). No more trigger wheel out in the open.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Back to those long plugwires.. they run ziptied together for 2-3 feet on each side. I'm starting to wonder if that isn't contributing to this new backfire nonsense. In any case, I'm not going to try any more on gen 1. That is settled. Many seem upset when I talk of getting rid of the car, so LS it is. I even looked at Gen V LT, but I don't think its ready for prime time yet on turbo swaps. It would be cool though! I'm just tired of blazing new (old) trails and going to follow the crowd to see how the other 3/4ths live for once.
Steve, I think you're committing that cardinal sin again of giving yourself too much to do. Four projects in your signature, a house that is up in the air, and a business that is still branching out and growing. No matter what you do to that Iroc that GTR will own it. Speed wise, handling wise and technology wise, so ask yourself what your intent is with the Camaro. In the end it is a non 1LE Camaro with essentially no real value, other than years of sentimental value. I would just sell it and let someone else fix what the problem is, this way you can wrap up your '49 build and your GTR trans issue, not to mention get started on that new build which can utilize an LSX platform.

We almost pulled the trigger on a C7 last night (despite swearing off GM), drove all the way down because of the wheel paddles we seen in the pics, but the dealer failed to tell us it was a manual car, and unfortunately for me, I won't be the only one driving it, so I had to pass on it lol. I mention this because before you go investing your time, again, with that freaking car, I would really consider what your long term goal is with it, and is it really a feasible investment of both your time, and money.

- Rob
Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

No more upturned tubular turbo header and merge pipe. Short plug wires with the hooker cast manifolds (no more blown header gaskets). No more trigger wheel out in the open.
all of that could be done on the sbc to a degree and i dont see the trigger wheel being an issue.

But cant argue the sbe ls stuff has made near 750-800 whp on a 7675 precision so hope it all works out for you
Old 01-17-2019, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Lethal... good points indeed. I run these thoughts through my head frequently. One thing is for sure... sell it = lose money. keep it = lose money (on more parts). For now it's going to be sidelined as I work down the list for the other projects. Acquiring LS parts is a good thing though, because it forces me to get rid of the gen1 parts I have. I'll be much better off with a marketable 5.3 with turbo components than a bunch of gen1 junk laying around! Meanwhile I'll keep trying to figure out what it is I will even do with that car when it is running right. I'm not really sure!

All of the other stuff... some things are in motion that may change my project load. For one, there is no 4th vehicle. That was cancelled when the hurricane visited. The GTR might be for sale soon. Might!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Steve, I think you're committing that cardinal sin again of giving yourself too much to do. Four projects in your signature, a house that is up in the air, and a business that is still branching out and growing. No matter what you do to that Iroc that GTR will own it. Speed wise, handling wise and technology wise, so ask yourself what your intent is with the Camaro. In the end it is a non 1LE Camaro with essentially no real value, other than years of sentimental value. I would just sell it and let someone else fix what the problem is, this way you can wrap up your '49 build and your GTR trans issue, not to mention get started on that new build which can utilize an LSX platform.
- Rob
I feel the complete opposite. I would sell the GTR. It too has had troubles and its EXPENSIVE to do anything with that car. Not to mention its so boring and has no soul. Steve has a lot of time and sweat equity in the IROC and we have all followed it for a long time. I for one would love to see him get it to a point where he can actually drive it more than working on it. Thirdgens are coming back around in popularity (from what I've seen) and Steve's is a pretty nice example. Plus, anyone I have ever talked to that owned one and sold it regretted it.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Could also get some nice stainless long tube headers and a supercharger and not have some of those issues too.

My car is dead reliable. Drove it all summer to car shows, flogged it, etc. Not an issue. Runs 180 degrees, no ticks.

When I had the turbo on it everything was so hot my wire looms got brittle and I couldn't touch even the inner fender.

-- Joe

Old 01-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by RS Chris
I feel the complete opposite. I would sell the GTR. It too has had troubles and its EXPENSIVE to do anything with that car. Not to mention its so boring and has no soul. Steve has a lot of time and sweat equity in the IROC and we have all followed it for a long time. I for one would love to see him get it to a point where he can actually drive it more than working on it. Thirdgens are coming back around in popularity (from what I've seen) and Steve's is a pretty nice example. Plus, anyone I have ever talked to that owned one and sold it regretted it.
It's really hard to say. I've had so many third gens I have literally lost count, and I really don't miss any of them, and we still have plenty of pictures of them. My GTA is different, I mean it's a rare one from the factory indeed, but it also has tremendous sentimental value to me which obviously can never be bought at a price. I think that right there is what is most valuable to our members who are still around, it's the time we had them, the memories that are embedded in them, as well as bonded to us, and they are irreplaceable. This is why you find members trying to locate a particular car, despite knowing they could easily build its' twin. They want that time back. Nothing to do with their design or build quality though...

- Rob
Old 01-18-2019, 11:40 AM

Oh boy, this thread too a turn.
Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
all of that could be done on the sbc to a degree and i dont see the trigger wheel being an issue.
What will change with the ls? If everything is up front, what makes you think you wont have same issues such as burning wires and such?
I agree. Other than even header primary spacing i think you'll run into the same plug wire issues. Are cast turbo manifolds not available for SBC's?

Could also get some nice stainless long tube headers and a supercharger and not have some of those issues too.
My car is dead reliable. Drove it all summer to car shows, flogged it, etc. Not an issue. Runs 180 degrees, no ticks.
-- Joe
I second this. Though my setup isnt as crazy as Joe's, i'm really happy with it. 6K miles a year, but I drive the wheels off it. Only gripe I have is occasional belt slip, but a 10 rib should solve that this summer.

My plug wires have ceramic ends on them so it helps fight the heat. I've gotten 3 years out of this set and i think i'm due for another soon(starting to dry out), but its better than changing them every 5 months like the MSD/accel sets i had that cost twice as much.

Did you ever swap out your valve springs? I guess the proof is in the pudding with the low oil pressure regaurdless. Engine definitely seems tired.

Im bummed to see you go LSx, I found your channel years ago and its how I got into the whole megasquirt efi/sbc thing. What ever you do, good luck.

Last edited by 86CamaroDan; 01-18-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

This hurricane taught me what a liability this vehicle collection hobby can be. Afterwards, I had thoughts of downsizing - really downsizing. I've also been looking around for another house and let me tell you having this garage space requirement is a big problem. Downsizing would help a lot in finding a suitable house. The problem is I am not sure I could pull off getting rid of most of my cars. I will just end up buying right back in and losing money on both ends. So effectively I would sell everything at a loss, then buy other cars that will later sell for less than I pay for them. The GTR is very reliable in the Alpha 9 configuration, it's just a series of unfortunate events that has put me in the current situation, starting with a buggy TCM tune. It does suck that almost no one works on these and it is difficult to get your hands on real tuning software as an end user. Ecutek is very shop centric and they don't really sell tuning suites to the public.

Right now I am looking at a replacement motorhome that might end up being a good reason to sell the gtr (to offset debt). I could use the space in my shop since the pole barn is gone. But in the end I will lose all of that tax money and some depreciation. Option B is to get it paid off asap and then it is less of a factor.

As for the Iroc, I don't think I have much sentiment with this one. It's just a car that I acquired when I was only looking for a TPI engine to put into another car. It does get more and more attention these days though. Up here in hickville it really is celebrated at the gas station up the road. If I had a dollar for every "I had one of these back in the day...." I'd have a paid off GTR! Anyway since I have most of the go fast parts like a 9 inch and good brakes and because an LS fits in it I figure I'm money ahead to use what I already have to put a 5.3 in. Plus its hard to give away for pennies on the dollar something that I have so much sweat equity in. But doing just that isn't unprecedented either so you never know.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Whats your tune look like? im still wondering how your getting backfires. Also whats your cam spec's. Id be curious to compare it to my tune

Last edited by 86CamaroDan; 01-18-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

It's really hard to say. I've had so many third gens I have literally lost count, and I really don't miss any of them, and we still have plenty of pictures of them. My GTA is different, I mean it's a rare one from the factory indeed, but it also has tremendous sentimental value to me which obviously can never be bought at a price. I think that right there is what is most valuable to our members who are still around, it's the time we had them, the memories that are embedded in them, as well as bonded to us, and they are irreplaceable. This is why you find members trying to locate a particular car, despite knowing they could easily build its' twin. They want that time back. Nothing to do with their design or build quality though...

- Rob
I hear that. I've had my 91 RS since July 98 with 83,000 miles and it was my only car for 16 yrs. Bought when I was 15 and I cannot count the stories that have come with it. It now has about 280,000 and as rough as it may be I still smile when it fires up and I cruise it around (short trips these days). It will end up LS powered soon but for the most part it's all original. You can't kill a 305 easy that's for sure.

Steve I feel your pain. Watched your progress for many years and the hurricane definitely hurt you. At the end of the day it's your decision and money so choose wisely (not that you don't) and good luck.

-Chris
Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Supreme Member

86CamaroDan I have a feeling it has something to do with these super long plug wires running together from the front. I don't care what the cause is any more. I'm not going to troubleshoot it or try to resolve it any further. I'm switching to a tried and proven combination rather than following a less beaten path. No one cares what's under the hood or who built it these days anyway. If anything the random person thinks it is stupid to not have an LS in there. So if I'm trying to impress someone at a car show: LS. If I'm just trying to get the most enjoyment out of the car with the least effort: LS. I already pissed off the purists a long time ago with the fuel pump access door!
Old 01-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Supreme Member

I thought about it too Steve, and already thought about how I would run the turbo headers to maintain A/C this go around. Not ruling it out either, but I have to see where things stand come Spring. The D1X Procharger is very tempting in a newer C7, but I am not ready to dismiss the GTA just yet and leave it the way it is. Too many good deals out there. Not sure just yet myself, but if I went LS, it is getting fully forged and bulletproof....

Dunno just yet.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/pts...774128549.html

- Rob
Old 01-20-2019, 07:29 AM
Supreme Member

coolest car on youtube right now imo is the fasterproms c4 his dad built in the early 90's. no ls, and hes even burning proms for the thing. made 471whp through a th400 and sounded like it was done by 6k. (they had the graph in mph) if i remember correctly, the intake on that car is a prototype miniram his dad helped develop which most likely later became the LT1 intake for gm.

i agree though, to the average joe, the ls swap is cool and its cheap, easy, and tons of aftermarket parts availability for them. i can understand why people do the swaps.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Supreme Member

I've always tended towards doing something different than the crowds... my original third gen with nitrous + a zz3 when every other fool around me had a foxbody (I gave em a run for their money too!), the V8 Astro and then in modern times staying with TPI and adding a turbo when LS was all the rage. Then with the 49 swapping from the old school V8 I bought it with to an inline six 4.2 (who does that?!?) all the while having numerous people telling me I need to put an LS in it. Time will tell if the 4200 was a bad decision or not. I have two more ideas that fit squarely in that category: A twin engine car (not Iroc) and a Gen 5 LT (plus turbos) swap into the Iroc.

Either one of those builds would be exactly what I'd love to do right now, but I just have way too many things on my plate. I'm also snake bitten with the whole Iroc situation. I need a simple, proven engine combo in all its boring glory so I can revive my appreciation for that car. Good thing with the LS combo is I can easily sell it later when I get dumb enough to blaze a more difficult trail later.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
coolest car on youtube right now imo is the fasterproms c4 his dad built in the early 90's. no ls, and hes even burning proms for the thing. made 471whp through a th400 and sounded like it was done by 6k. (they had the graph in mph) if i remember correctly, the intake on that car is a prototype miniram his dad helped develop which most likely later became the LT1 intake for gm.
Just watched it Dig. How the hell does someone refer to themselves as fasterproms and not even know what TunerPro is. Was getting frustrated watching him tune it blindly and complaining about the lack of datalogging he had that was available for OBD1, I believe he said it was a Speed Density processor setup in an '87. Car made great freaking power, off idle sounded insane. His pops knew his sheet for sure. Damn I want my C4 back lol...

- Rob
Old 01-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

i agree though, to the average joe, the ls swap is cool and its cheap, easy, and tons of aftermarket parts availability for them. i can understand why people do the swaps.
Watched that as well. Neat stuff for sure. Trans is a 700r4 not TH400 though.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Just watched it Dig. How the hell does someone refer to themselves as fasterproms and not even know what TunerPro is. Was getting frustrated watching him tune it blindly and complaining about the lack of datalogging he had that was available for OBD1, I believe he said it was a Speed Density processor setup in an '87. Car made great freaking power, off idle sounded insane. His pops knew his sheet for sure. Damn I want my C4 back lol...

- Rob
i believe his dad started the "fasterproms" thing. since he was tuning proms at the time thats what he called it? Jeremy is my age and would have been getting into it when chips were on their way out. off idle is a bit of an on/off switch since its a monoblade tb with probably a fast opening "cam" for the cable.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:23 AM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

86CamaroDan I have a feeling it has something to do with these super long plug wires running together from the front. I don't care what the cause is any more. I'm not going to troubleshoot it or try to resolve it any further. I'm switching to a tried and proven combination rather than following a less beaten path. No one cares what's under the hood or who built it these days anyway. If anything the random person thinks it is stupid to not have an LS in there. So if I'm trying to impress someone at a car show: LS. If I'm just trying to get the most enjoyment out of the car with the least effort: LS. I already pissed off the purists a long time ago with the fuel pump access door!
I'm not into digging on other peoples builds, but truthfully when you put the coils in the front and ran the long wires I did raise a brow. I do understand with the turbo manifolds it's hard to get the plug wires run, but if I was running 8 coils they would be on the valve covers or the firewall. I mounted mine on the firewall right where the stock dizzy would be.

The LS is a great motor and I'm sure it will work out well for you. Plenty of 5.3 turbo cars on youtube making good reliable power. The LSx heads have exceptional flow in stock form thanks to the tall cathedral ports.

-- Joe
Old 01-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Anesthes I'm right there with you.. I had my worries but there really wasn't any other option. I'd like to punch that guy in the face that designed this passenger side header!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 PM
Supreme Member

I'm not into digging on other peoples builds
only when it comes to safety lol
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

I'm not into digging on other peoples builds
Yeah this made me laugh too. Mention a build controlled by OBD1 and all hell breaks loose w/Joe lol.

Anesthes I'm right there with you.. I had my worries but there really wasn't any other option. I'd like to punch that guy in the face that designed this passenger side header!!!
We kept telling you years ago, but you kept wanting to re-invent the wheel.

- Rob
Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

only when it comes to safety lol
That's not really the same thing. I don't care what engine you use or what color you paint your car, those are personal choices.

But the safety rules are in place for everyone to keep everyone alive.

-- Joe
Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Yeah this made me laugh too. Mention a build controlled by OBD1 and all hell breaks loose w/Joe lol.
They don't call it 'handicap racing' for nothing

-- Joe

Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

i believe his dad started the "fasterproms" thing. since he was tuning proms at the time thats what he called it? Jeremy is my age and would have been getting into it when chips were on their way out. off idle is a bit of an on/off switch since its a monoblade tb with probably a fast opening "cam" for the cable.
Actually watched the introduction to the vette video after the dyno one, which talks about the engine. I gave his dad props mainly because I thought it was an L98 making that much power to the wheels, turns out it is a 400 SBC bored and stroked to 420. I also seen where he mentioned the monoblade, yeah, that explains a few things. So weird to hear him talk about the LT1intake swap website, as soon as he said that I thought of John Millican. Damn time really flies. Still a sweet vette though nonetheless.

They don't call it 'handicap racing' for nothing
You'll never change lol...

- Rob

Quick Reply: Turbo Iroc - Round Four (Edit: Staying Gen1, new PT7675, heads, intake)