Power Adders Getting a Supercharger or Turbocharger? Thinking about using Nitrous? All forced induction and N2O topics discussed here.

Cam/Head combo for a basically stock 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam/Head combo for a basically stock 350

So I understand the basics of cam shafts and cylinder heads but picking a combo and understanding how that effects the engine is still kind of losing me. I have a carbed 350 (it's from the 60s I believe), long tube headers, side exit dual exhaust, and an Edelbrock intake and carburetor.
I'm just looking to throw a cam and some heads on, something simple to gain a little power. This is a street car, I don't ever expect to make over 400hp but I'd like to get it to at least 300. Just to start :P
​​​​​I know I can do the work, I just need someone to tell me what to buy/look for

Thanks guys!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
Re: Cam/Head combo for a basically stock 350

What kind of pistons in it do you know? Flat top, dished? Dome? Was it rebuilt at all? Overall condition?
Old 06-03-2017, 05:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
Re: Cam/Head combo for a basically stock 350

If you don't know what kind of pistons then pull the valve covers and get casting numbers off of both heads. It can give us some idea what you have and what chamber size it's working with now, also it might be possible what's on it is better than what you're willing to spend money on. Both heads because someone might have replaced one at some point and might have ended up with 2 different heads.

Secondly, what are you hoping to get out of it? I mean, swap the heads, cam, intake and headers and you can basically build anything from a low-end grunt truck motor to a decent race motor as long as the bottom end is in reasonable shape. I mean it might be a truck block and even have 4 bolt mains...