Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Interior (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/)
-   -   Horn not working (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/interior/654102-horn-not-working.html)

Shepp84Z28 06-12-2012 11:55 AM

Horn not working

Hi,

I have a 1984 Z28 I recently purchased and the horn is not working. The guys said something about a clip or something like that. Any ideas?
Also, is it a real pain to remove the horn cover (as in easy to break any pins or clips holding the horn cap on)?

Thanks,
Shepp

norcalz28 06-20-2012 07:12 PM

Re: Horn not working

Pretty straight forward. Grab the horn button and just lift it off the wheel. Any damage will already have been done from years of abuse. Disconnect the yellow wire from the horn and touch it to ground (any exposed metal on the wheel). If the horn sounds, your problem is the button. If it does nothing, check the fuse, and if that is good, check for power/ground at the horns themselves. If you have power/ground, replace your horns.

Will

Shepp84Z28 07-10-2012 02:31 PM

So I ended up pulling the cap off, and no go when I touched the yellow wire to metal. Since I don't have a volt/Ohm meter I had to send to a shop... So the guy there breaks my horn cap... but he says he has the horn working now (and as a bonus the interior dome light is working too)... I get a call to come get the car, horn is all set.
I get there, pay (240.00), jump in the car, beep the horn once it does beep but my horn cap falls off... and no more horn.
I tell the mechanic how much of an arse he is for breaking the horn cap, and that the horn (and interior light) are not working, but now I can hear the relay clicking (I guess the relay was fried before). However, I am not bringing my car to him again... ever, and perhaps I won't be using him for my day to day drivers as well...

So now I have no horn, no horn cap (but I do have a NOS in a box to put on after the horn is sorted, and I will put the cap on myself after that, not a mechanic thank you), and no interior dome light... It has me thinking maybe this is now a fuse issue...

Thoughts? Good mechanics in southern NH or Northeast Mass? ;)

Shepp

JamesC 07-10-2012 02:52 PM

Horn and dome are on the same fuse. I'd check.

JamesC

Shepp84Z28 07-13-2012 08:49 AM

So I changed the ACC fuse (everything I read online seemed to indicate this was the most likely fuse for the horn), but nothing changed. Still no horn and no interior dome light. I did notice the ACC fuse I took out was fine and was a 20, I replaced it with a 30 (again, all indications from what I have read indicate this is a 30 not 20 amp fuse).

I'm not sure if there is any correlation yet but I noticed today (and I should have checked before I swapped out the fuse) that I no longer hear the relay clicking when I test the horn (touch the yellow wire to bare metal...
Very aggravating.. I hope I can talk the mechanic into giving me an inspection sticker w/o a horn... :(

Shepp

axestrum 10-10-2012 11:58 AM

the horn runs directly from the ctsy fuse in the fuse box to the relay in the junction box orange wire, which may be mounted under the dash just above your right knee,also contains the key in door chime,flash unit and horn relay,check for power from ctsy fuse to relay,the green wire from the relay runs to the horns in engine compartment,the black wire runs to your horn switch on steering column,pressing the horn button closes the circuit to sound horns.

JamesC 10-10-2012 12:03 PM

More info in the following link:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...orn-fails.html

JamesC

High~Cruzin 11-25-2012 10:21 AM

Sorry for jumpin in on thread 1st off...but I'm deal with a horn issue that makes no sense. New relay(clicks loud), fuses are all good and as far as I know wiring is straight. Tried the (touching horn button wire to ground(metal surface) and horn makes a sort of popping sound...also does this when hooked up to button and grounded...any insight?:huh:

JamesC 11-25-2012 11:09 AM

Edit.

Don Christensen 07-06-2013 09:39 PM

And if the CTSY (Courtesy) fuse is blown, and the replacement blows, the first place to check is the cigarette lighter. My wife has a habit of dropping pennies into her lighter socket ......

phasevariance 07-06-2013 11:20 PM

I'd make the mechanic fix all of it. Then find a new guy.

jeremyb1988 04-19-2017 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by norcalz28 (Post 5307292)
Pretty straight forward. Grab the horn button and just lift it off the wheel. Any damage will already have been done from years of abuse. Disconnect the yellow wire from the horn and touch it to ground (any exposed metal on the wheel). If the horn sounds, your problem is the button. If it does nothing, check the fuse, and if that is good, check for power/ground at the horns themselves. If you have power/ground, replace your horns.

Will

I know its an old thread, sorry...its the ACC fuse right?

LiveIt! 04-19-2017 10:27 PM

That's the one! ;)