Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Suspension and Chassis (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/)
-   -   Best Torque Arm (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/217599-best-torque-arm.html)

mike graycar 01-06-2004 12:26 PM

Best Torque Arm

Allright, who makes the best torque arm. At a reasonable price that is. I did the searches, most threads degenerate into a discustion about what they are and how they work and who knows more. I want to hear from people who have them and why the like them and more importantly why the don't like specific ones they have used on their cars.-Mike

JamesC 01-06-2004 12:40 PM

Edelbrock makes one that is a considerable improvement over the stamped-steel stock version. See sig.

JamesC

Mongoose 01-06-2004 02:00 PM

I have one of the first generation adjustable torque arms from Spohn. It really made a difference in how my car handled and improved traction quite a bit. As for why I chose it over the others: it was one of the first adjustables and it moved the arm off the tailshaft and relocated it to the crossmember which is where it should have been in the first place. Plus at the time the price was good.

ede 01-06-2004 02:01 PM

anything or damn near anything would be an improvement over the stamped stock one

91wtROH17's 01-06-2004 02:07 PM

Amen to that ede!

Superman 01-06-2004 04:22 PM

I have the Sphon torque arm to and bought it for exactly the same reasons Mongoose, well that and the rest of my suspension is Sphon.

TKOPerformance 01-07-2004 12:32 PM

Spohn's products kept me from going into business making suspension components for 3rd gen cars. I was looking to offer the highest quality product at a reasonable price, but when I started researching my competition I couldn't find anything they did that I would do differently. I knew I wouldn't be able to grab any of their market share, whithout severly undercutting their prices, and that made the venture cost prohibitive. In my opinion they offer the best stuff around.

Jukka 01-07-2004 01:24 PM

I run a work shop or what ever it is in english, but I can tell by the look of those spohn stuff that they really know what they do. Looks like they got good men working for them and they choose right materials.

MTPFI-MAF 01-07-2004 04:16 PM

S&W race car makes A really nice unit, it moves the mount to the frame, via crossmember that attches to their subFrame Connectors 100% Bolt On, I would still Tack weld Areas esspically around the bolt area to stiffen more and to keep bolts from coming out or elongating the holes

S&W Race Cars

MdFormula350 01-07-2004 05:20 PM

spohn:

likes = mounts on frame and take torque arm off the tranny, adjustable, quality / looks great, driveshaft is welded onto the new crossmember; everything is heavy duty (bushings, joints,etc..

dislikes = none of course :)

10.90streetcar 01-07-2004 07:35 PM

This unit looks pretty good.

TA1

TA2

VIDEO CHIC

mike graycar 01-08-2004 12:24 AM

10.90, is that the jegs torque arm?

xpndbl3 01-08-2004 01:46 AM

BMR maybe? :confused:

MdFormula350 01-08-2004 08:22 AM

yeah its the BMR Torque Arm

requires welding to the frame, i do believe.

laiky 01-08-2004 12:31 PM

The BMR is a nice unit, especially for the price but i believe it is more of a drag only piece due to its shorter lenght and the fact the front mount doesn't look like it allows the rear to rotate without binding.

mike graycar 01-08-2004 01:07 PM

At this point i am leaning towards the edelbrock. Jegs has it listed for $180. This is much less than any of the other trans mounted non-adjustable torque arms. Any body have this one? part #5280

10.90streetcar 01-08-2004 02:14 PM

MdFormula350 is right . It is the BMR and does require welding.

laiky is right for the most part, But the front mounting point does allow for movement.

VIDEO CHIC

mike graycar 01-11-2004 04:59 PM

Well now, I was reading high po-chevy and they did a 3rd gen. suspension. they also showed an Edelbrock torque arm that is adjustable. I called Edelbrock who told me it is not yet available but should retail for 282 bucks. This can't be right, can it? I opened my new car craft yesterday and there it is on the first page. anybody know who carries this?

gen3z 01-12-2004 04:13 PM

i have had the jegster for 5 years and i will be getting another one next month...

fireturd350 01-12-2004 06:01 PM

I have the 1st gen spohn rod end tq arm I love it. It was worth every bit of money. Hardest part was wrestling it into place course might help if you have more than a foot worth of room under the car and you don't try doing it all by yourself in the rain (I was in a big hurry to get it on).

mike graycar 01-18-2004 11:31 AM

anybody else ??

joshwilson3 01-18-2004 03:53 PM

TTA850 01-18-2004 06:06 PM

Originally posted by gen3z
i have had the jegster for 5 years and i will be getting another one next month...
Same here, had mine scince 1998 with no real complaints.The only thing I could complain about is that it's not adjustable - BUT - I've yet to see someone with an adjustable Spohn arm perform like my simple Jegster unit.

My results: Best 60ft 1.476 on 26x11.5x16 ET Streets on stock GTA wheels at 3,550lbs with 3.08 gears and is consistantly in the 1.47-1.49 range.

Steve

TKOPerformance 01-18-2004 10:16 PM

No, not yet anyway. I started a construction company instead. I think I'll leave cars a hobby for now. I am working on a book that will specifically target certain 3rd gen projects, but who knows if it will ever make publication?

mike graycar 01-26-2004 11:00 AM

anybody else?

91B2L 01-28-2004 07:56 AM

I checked summit for the Edelbrock adjustable torque arm PN#5282. They've got it listed for $145,but it's on back order.

mike graycar 01-28-2004 09:49 AM

How can it be so cheap? it's less than their non-adjustable arm and half of what the next cheapest competitor is offering. I hope it's not a total piece of crap !!

fireturd350 01-28-2004 11:18 AM

Maybe their trying to move the inventory since it's a new model for this year?

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...uspension.html

mike graycar 01-29-2004 10:25 AM

All the big guys (summit, jegs, ect.) tell me this is already back ordered into march. guess i will have to wait.

fireturd350 01-29-2004 11:08 AM

I'd put in your order that way they can't raise the price on you. I think they let you stay on back order list for up to 3 months. (stupid 3 guage pod apillar that took forever to come out)

mike graycar 02-06-2004 10:22 AM

Did you order me one? how do i pay you? or them or what now?

fireturd350 02-06-2004 11:15 AM

Are you talking to me? I didn't order anything. I was just stating it might be a good idea for you to order it now from Summit Racing that way you're on file and you should get the lower price incase this is just a marketing scheme to get the new products out to people and start the word of mouth advertisements.

mike graycar 02-06-2004 11:27 AM

OOPS! :doh: I misread your post, (hangover) I thought it said " I'll order" not "I'd order". I think I'm gonna wait. the edel. adjustable arm that was featured in the recent hi-po chevy magizine looks like a hefty piece. the one shown on the edel. website looks cheesey and kinda weak.

mike graycar 03-03-2004 12:04 PM

anybody got the new edelbrock arm yet?

GTA-SPD 03-03-2004 12:21 PM

The arm in the Chevy High Performance article and the one on the Edelbrock website are the same arm. Edelbrock only makes 2, non-adjustable and adjustable. If it were my money, I'd look for one that takes the mount off the tranny, like the spohn unit. The other way you could go is with a MAC or Jegster one that are shorter than stock for better bite. I've been quite happy with Edelbrock stuff in the pst, and can't imagine that their adjustable arm would be any weaker than their non-adjustable, since they probably just cut up a non-adjustable and added some rod ends. I tend to think that ANYTHING would be an improvement over stock though.

mw66nova 03-03-2004 01:01 PM

i've got nothing but good things to say about the spohn torque arm. my dad is running it on his and the car hooks so much better now. we had also ran the jegster one on his car years back and the suspension was binding bad, even going down the road on the trailer. the first weekend we had the car out with the new suspension and there was stuff all over the trailer floor that had gotten knocked loose cause the suspension could move again.

Kontrax 03-03-2004 09:36 PM

BMR makes some nasty products. my whole suspension is BMR and im actually ordering the BMR cromo TQ arm next week. the weld on kit they were talking about above is the trackpac and can be used on the street. but it makes a lot more road noise. from what i hear, it hooks up real nice though. can never go wrong with a BMR product...

3ZZZ 03-04-2004 12:10 AM

DOes the spohn make a loud clank when hard accelerating?
I am interested in getting ta after my conversion is done.

Kontrax 03-04-2004 07:28 PM

Originally posted by 3ZZZ
DOes the spohn make a loud clank when hard accelerating?
I am interested in getting ta after my conversion is done.

i have heard about this noise myself and have asked many times and got no stright answer. i love my BMR anyhow :)

cc 82Z-28 03-04-2004 07:38 PM

I've got my order in for the Edelbrock piece. I just got their adjustable panhard bar that is new for this year also. Both the adjustable torque arn and panhard bar cost 281.00 to my door. The torque arm is said to be delivered 4/4/4. I ordered them from Summit..

91Z28-350 03-04-2004 07:42 PM

The TA mounts to the x-member with a compression fitting. The bolt is narrower than the bushing opening (diameter). If the upper bolt is not tightened down with alot of torque compressing the fitting against the bushing, there will be thumping noise coming up near the shifter. The only problem is that it is a tight fit up there and getting some good torque on it is a bit tough, but still doable. It's best to put some loctite on it, but I didn't do that and may need to retighten the bolts in a few months.

Kontrax 03-04-2004 08:53 PM

i saw the edlebrock arm with the rest of their stuff, in super chevy. they threw it all on a RS i believe it was a 92. they gave it great reviews, but i wasnt impressed with the unit. their stuff looks smaller and less ridged then other companies makes. i get all over kill because i have no idea what else im going to put into my car. already have the blower and getting that ready....even thinking about using a little juice too.

EvilCartman 03-04-2004 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Taken the other night... yeah it's a bit messy under there lol. Spohn torque arm and TH400 swap crossmember. No funky noises or clunks. Oh, and the exhaust doesn't hit the driveshaft when on the ground ;)

james_85Z28 03-04-2004 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Kontrax
i have heard about this noise myself and have asked many times and got no stright answer. i love my BMR anyhow :)
The locnuts (K-locs??) on the from TA mounts will not be effective after being installed/removed a couple times and will make a "thump" noise during shifts or bumps thereafter because they can't retain their clamp-up. Just replace them if this is occuring.

mike graycar 03-19-2004 12:00 PM

Anybody got the Edelbrock yet? I see some guy is selling them on ebay allready.

KagA152 03-19-2004 11:11 PM

is the jegster ta geared more towards drag racing since its shorter? how does the length effect the geometry/benefits gained from the torque arm in drag and road applications?

LO3Jeff 03-20-2004 08:46 PM

add one more vote for spohn from me. I found them easy to intall if you have the rite equipment just like any job.

giff 03-21-2004 07:36 PM

Torque arm upgrade

Ok, here's a dumb question...

most of the posts I've seen only talk about how much more traction you get with an aftermarket torque arm, but what do they do for handling? i'm not interested in more traction just improving the handling on my car.

just boxed in my factory track bar and can definately feel a diff. Now looking at the track bar, but only if it will help handling. Not concerned with breaking the back loose when corning so if that's all that a torque arm upgrade will do - i'm not interested.

Giffman

Spohn SFC's, BMR STB. IROC wonderbar, boxed in factory track bar...poly bushings next...

MTPFI-MAF 03-22-2004 09:40 AM

Re: Torque arm upgrade

Originally posted by giff
Ok, here's a dumb question...

most of the posts I've seen only talk about how much more traction you get with an aftermarket torque arm, but what do they do for handling? i'm not interested in more traction just improving the handling on my car.

just boxed in my factory track bar and can definately feel a diff. Now looking at the track bar, but only if it will help handling. Not concerned with breaking the back loose when corning so if that's all that a torque arm upgrade will do - i'm not interested.

Giffman

Spohn SFC's, BMR STB. IROC wonderbar, boxed in factory track bar...poly bushings next...

Ok I am building my car for Street Duty. depending on the Torque arm, I am going to go with a adjustable One for several reasons.
One It moves the front mount point to the floor off the tranny so the will be less stress on the tranny and drive train, 2. it is adjustable so i can change the IC (instant Center) which will change the bite or center of gravity for more Bite on the rear.
I am not really sure of cornering benifits since I haven't done it yet but I am sure there are some, just keep asking around..
Just my .02

GTA-SPD 03-22-2004 10:38 AM

The short answer to the question is, yes the torque arm will help handling. Rear tire bite is as important to handling as it is to drag racing. You want the tires to plant when you start accelerating out of a turn, if they don’t you spin out. The better the rear of your car bites, the sooner and harder you can begin accelerating out of a corner. The aftermarket torque arms will help in all aspects of handling, I’ve even heard that they help with braking. I don’t know about that though.